Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put tolls on all roads to NI

Options
  • 09-12-2009 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I suggest Garlic should bring in tolls on all roads to and from NI.
    Collect nice stream of revenue from the public servants on their many days off.

R1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

putting a toll about 1km from the border on all roades might be a better idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

... and would you personally volunteer to man the toll booth at hackballscross ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Rujib1 wrote: »

R1

Whilst i agree with the idea of putting a toll there, the way you directed it specifically towards the public sector is quite... well i wont go into it.

Good idea, terribly presented with a bit of venom thrown in.
    On another point, what type of charge could you out on such a toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

muboop1 wrote: »
    Whilst i agree with the idea of putting a toll there, the way you directed it specifically towards the public sector is quite... well i wont go into it.

21% on whatever you bring back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

R1

How many child mole . . , sorry Public Servants will be going up shopping and how many times? How much revenue do you expect to collect, how much will it cost to run the booth (privately owned or will they be government owned and staffed by public Servants)? What about non PS workers going to shop, should we PS workers be made were a badge to distinguish them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Will the tolls be removed to encourage nordies to buy petrol/diesel down here or to encourage nordie tourism?

Perhaps we should discriminate and just charge the non-yellow reg cars, maybe call it a patriotic tax. :D

gurramok wrote: »
    Will the tolls be removed to encourage nordies to buy petrol/diesel down here or to encourage nordie tourism?

Perhaps we should discriminate and just charge the non-yellow reg cars, maybe call it a patriotic tax. :D

At first glance, I thought you said 'nudies' lol
    What about non PS workers going to shop, should we PS workers be made were a badge to distinguish them?

Maybe something like a star, easy recognisable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

The most stupid idea I've heard on Boards yet - well done. Just because it's now fashionable for people living miles away (many for the first time ever) to travel up North, does that means we should tax the border communities - dividing people more and making an even bigger hindrance to trade?

Of course this trend won't last forever and for many years it was Northerners coming down here in droves for shopping and petrol. I imagine it would also cost millions to implement. It would be incredibly sshort-sighted and also 100% regressive and won't just target the sector the OP obviously despises.

Oh and there's already a toll 30 miles down the M1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

muboop1 wrote: »

Oh, forget about the PS comment. I'm just one of those people who had to lay off a good few staff due to economic downturn. Consequently the wailing and bawling from permanent pensionable employees gets on my goat.

Anyway ....... how much of a toll? Firstly I was just thinking a bit outside the box on how the government could get revenue from those who have the time and inclination to spend the money earned in this state in another state to the degree that they now do.
    You would have to avoid penalizing people living on the border and needing to cross on a regular basis to do basic work and duties.
    But booze and shopping tourists should be hit. How about €10.
    Just toll the main roads. Traffic backup on smaller roads by those avoiding the tolls, would probably mean they would not be home on time to watch the Simpsons, so they would probably just toddle down to their local Aldi or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

..Maybe something like a star, easy recognisable...

Or

target.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How many child mole . . , sorry Public Servants will be going up shopping and how many times? How much revenue do you expect to collect, how much will it cost to run the booth (privately owned or will they be government owned and staffed by public Servants)? What about non PS workers going to shop, should we PS workers be made were a badge to distinguish them?
    Yes, it'll be a star of some sort, colour to be decided later. Maybe yellow.
    (edit, I see we've already gone there)

Dealing with the thread as a serious suggestion, completely unworkable idea, even in its own universe I'm afraid.

And it's not as though there isn't already a toll on the M1, which is probably the most used route anyway.

I think we all know this thread has a limited lifespan so if people didn't get all that miffed about it, that'd be cool.

..would probably just toddle down to their local Aldi or the likes.

And send the money outside of the country anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

And send the money outside of the country anyway???

Thats fine if they keep the taxes in the country imo...
    So what we should only shop in irish companies in irish stores... Me... personally I do not care.

The are working here, providing jobs, paying taxes. If they offer me better offers then an irish owned company. The irish company better get it's ass in gear and get competitive...

Kinda like our country really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

A very stupid idea.

I live 3 miles from the border in Donegal.
    You want me to pay 2 tolls either side of the border when I travel to Dublin, then another 2 on the way back? Your a cleaver chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Or

target.png

Won't be enough to go around when the latest scape goats come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goose2002

R1

Its funny a couple of Fridays ago I got stuck for 2 hours and 20 mins going through Newry in a traffic jam that started at the border. There was no public service strike that day and yet I didn't hear anybody complain on the radio about it that day. Rujib sounds like a bitter bitter man :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

R1

Is that an Irish solution to an Irish problem.? Why not stop the internet as well so that we can only buy in Ireland at rip off prices. Dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

danman wrote: »
    A very stupid idea.

I live 3 miles from the border in Donegal.
    You want me to pay 2 tolls either side of the border when I travel to Dublin, then another 2 on the way back? Your a cleaver chap.

Yes - I too would relish my weekly journey from Donegal to Dublin with tolls at Lifford, EmyVale, Drogheda and Westlink.

Advertisement