Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher's Union (not asti or tui in particular)

• 09-12-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭

Can you be a member of a union if you are not employed as a state school teacher? I just got my renewal of membership form returned ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

For the INTO it's a nominal sum - €25.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is Associate membership of the TUI available to people on career break, maternity leave etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Hmm. Maybe I picked the wrong one so. I joined ASTI because nearly everyone else in the school I was in was a member. I'm not there anymore, (though I hope to find work!!!) so I sent the form and picked the "associate member" option too.

God. First, rejected by the council, now by the union??? I just have to have limbs start dropping off to complete the leper vibe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

I had asociate membership of the ASTI when I was on career break - maybe you sent it through the wrong channels? Did you send it through a branch or directly to head office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I had asociate membership of the ASTI when I was on career break - maybe you sent it through the wrong channels? Did you send it through a branch or directly to head office?

I rang them to talk about it today because I was sure it was some sort of mistake, but she was quite clear. Unless I'm attached to a school (even on occasional subbing hours), I can't become a member. And what are my chances of getting even subbing work in this climate, as a relatively inexperienced teacher that the teaching council has ^&*%ed over??

When you were on career break, maybe you were still associated with the school you were in before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

suppose the idea being that they are there to back you up in your workplace provided they recognise your workplace as part of their remit which unfortunately is not the case at moment.

Advertisement