Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 Arcade - Adding a hard drive?

• 09-12-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Looking to get an XBox 360 Elite in Harvey Norman, but they're sold out. The other option i'm considering is getting the Arcade and (if possible) buying a hard drive for it. Is this possible? Could i just buy any regular internal hard drive and fit it into the xbox? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

You can add a hard drive to the arcade model alright, but not just any old drive. Microsoft sell the likes of this for people who bought the arcade and find that they need a hard drive, but to be honest if you have a hard drive in mind from day one you're probably better off buying the console with the drive included. There is a live starter pack for about 80-90 euro that places like Game have now, but it only has a 60GB hard drive for that price, like the recently discontinued premium model shipped with.

Some companies offer cheaper hard drive options, but with the recent blocking of third party memory units by MS, it's always possible that they will stop those drives from working too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

You're definitely better off buying an elite over an arcade if you intend having a harddrive. Unless you're very lucky, the console and harddrive bought separately will always cost more.

If you're near a HMV, I saw that the Henry St shop is selling Elites for €199 as a special offer, so might be worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

Could get a 250GB one delivered for 75 dollars, not sure how reliable they are though:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30815

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ipnface wrote: »
    Could get a 250GB one delivered for 75 dollars, not sure how reliable they are though:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30815

They look dodge, they certainly aren't official MS anyway. They only sell 250gb HDs in console bundles afaik.

They're Western Digital hard drives formatted to work with the 360, judging by the comments below it.

• Advertisement

They're Western Digital hard drives formatted to work with the 360, judging by the comments below it.

MS recently issued a patch to block use of 3rd party HDs, so it might not work, even if it does, there's no guarantee they won't release another patch that will render it useless. Not worth the risk imo.

That patch only affects memory cards due to cheating. Not hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks everyone for the replies. Think i should go down the elite route to be safe so. After very much trawling through search results i will pose this question here:

What is the best price i can get for the Elite, 2 controllers and a game?

I see xtravision have the Elite + wireless entertainment pack + Fifa and 20 euro vouchers for 280 euro

Amazon have the Elite, 2 controllers, 2 games coming it at around 263 euro

Like i said, was in Harvey Norman's today and they're sold out, had the elite for 189 plus wireless pack for 29. Great deal

That patch only affects memory cards due to cheating. Not hard drives.

Well by installing a 3rd party HD you are violating the terms of service so even if it's not blocked now, it could well be in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

MS recently issued a patch to block use of 3rd party HDs, so it might not work, even if it does, there's no guarantee they won't release another patch that will render it useless. Not worth the risk imo.

Yeah, I'm of this opinion too. I'd be worried that MS do something completely c-nteriffic like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

gnolan wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Think i should go down the elite route to be safe so. After very much trawling through search results i will pose this question here:

What is the best price i can get for the Elite, 2 controllers and a game?

I see xtravision have the Elite + wireless entertainment pack + Fifa and 20 euro vouchers for 280 euro

Amazon have the Elite, 2 controllers, 2 games coming it at around 263 euro

Like i said, was in Harvey Norman's today and they're sold out, had the elite for 189 plus wireless pack for 29. Great deal

In Gamestop you can get Elite, Wireless Entertainment Pack and FIFA 09 for €249.99

SD7792 wrote: »
    In Gamestop you can get Elite, Wireless Entertainment Pack and FIFA 09 for €249.99

Is that FIFA 09 or FIFA 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

gnolan wrote: »
    Is that FIFA 09 or FIFA 10?
    My bad, FIFA 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i got a core with a broken dvd-rom for free, and got a 20gig hard drive off ebay for €25 including p and p. and got a 32inch tv off adverts for e80

god i'm such a miser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I got an Elite with 2 controllers and 4 games Pure, lego batman, Mirrors Edge and forza 3 for 239.99 in HMV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I went the Arcade and hard drive route - although not purposefully, it was more that I didn't need the hard drive when I bought the console. Anyway, what I bought was an xbox live starter kit, which contains 60Gig HD, headset, 2m Ethernet cable and a 3 month live gold subsription. It was €80 from Argos. Add this to the arcade console and that's your total

Thanks for the replies. Found the elite deal in harvey normans blanchardstown, so no need for the arcade + hard drive.

Advertisement