Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 euro cut to child benefit in budget 2010

Options
  • 09-12-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

I guess that could have been worse, esp as there was a raise in the child claimant allowance for those who are solely in receipt of socail welfare payments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I think the budget has been very fair. I rely on the Allowance but knew it had to be cut but was hoping it wouldn't be too much.

Happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If your child is disabled and you are careing for your child you are classed as a carer. You do not get child claiment allowence and you are not earning enough to offset the loss.

It does not seem fair to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

yes, thats ok if thats all that being cut, but most will have to pay more.

im a mother of 2 children & work part time.
    My wages have been cut & the childrens allowance.
    Incum levy being doubled, so less wages.

My husband working week has been reduced to 3 day week since jan 09.
    now the little he gets from the welfare will be less.
    GAS bills & heating higher
    Higher price petrol

Hello, how much more can we afford to loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Does anyone understand this higher rate/lower rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Your rate is higher the more kids you have...

for example

if you have one child you get 100
    if you have two you get 100 for each
    if you have three you get a higher rate 130 for each

Obviously not the correct figures Just an example.

I was happy enough with the budget. Tbh I have never relyed on child benefit. I know of some people who pay their mortgage, cars etc on it. In saying that, the money is a god send some months when things are tight.

It could have been a lot worse. When my daugther was young child benefit was £36 a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sec1307

child benefit could have being alot worse. i recieve lone parent allowance and half rate jobseekers on my stamps.
    i heard afew weeks ago that anyone recieving half rate jobseekers with another sw payment will have the jobseekers axed completely. is this true? is anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The cut is less then I expected, as I thought it would go down to about 130 a month.

Said that I am not relying on it anyway. Not that I am rich or have an excessive income, but I have always had the (probably very controversial) belief that you should not have kids if you can't afford to bring them up without any Benefits/State payments.

The money we get goes straight into the daughters saving account for when she needs it (study/first house etc.) later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Was it not a case of reduction of child benefit now with means testing to qualify at all brought in next year?

On one hand I thought it would be much worse, on the other - I don't think they are close to being done yet. I think benefit/wage cuts, tax rises and what have you are going to be implemented over a period of time so it is not such a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Happy enough. We're tight at the moment and this will make it tighter (I don't drink much so no big savings there :p) but not unbearable given the size of the hole that was in the public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

DubDani wrote: »
    The cut is less then I expected, as I thought it would go down to about 130 a month.

Said that I am not relying on it anyway. Not that I am rich or have an excessive income, but I have always had the (probably very controversial) belief that you should not have kids if you can't afford to bring them up without any Benefits/State payments.

The money we get goes straight into the daughters saving account for when she needs it (study/first house etc.) later in life.

Yes your right this is what I consider a "Closed mind attitude" Some people rely on state benefit due to circumstance that later follow rather than when they started out. Some people are born with disabled kids. Some people are born into parents who end up having nervous breakdowns or heart attacks strokes where they can never work again.

Despite the view there are not many people who choose to have kids and remain on welfare as the hardest thing for a parent on welfare is to refuse your child something.

Lastly.... Not many people have the luxuary to save money designed by the state to improve the living standard and general wellbeing of a child.

I have always had the (probably very controversial) belief that people in your situation should not have received childrens allowence if you can afford to bring them up without the need for any Benefits/State payments.

who's belief would you imagine ties in with life at the moment! ;)

Any cut in the childrens allowence will effect someone and in my case as a carer it will effect me more than anyone as I will not be entitled to any other payment.

Perhaps I should consider sueing the hospital, govt and ultimatly the state for medical neg in giving me a disabled child! Then I can live comfortably and decide what I may do with the childrens allowence instead of trying to decide how many jumpers I need to buy for me child this month and how many can I afford.

Please dont be so judgemental about the importance of the childrens allowence folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Happy enough.
    Ok SW and Child benefit got cut but at least the government stood up to the bearded ones.
    The alternative was back to the 1980's.

I am getting the feeling that older people (maybe because they protested last year) are now getting a free ride at the expense of younger people.
    - Free travel, free medical care, no mortgages and many on huge untouchable public servant pensions.
    Younger people are too busy raising kids and paying mortgages to protest.
    It doesn't seem fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

DubDani wrote: »
    but I have always had the (probably very controversial) belief that you should not have kids if you can't afford to bring them up without any Benefits/State payments.

This argument really gets my goat up when it is trotted out by some people on boards.ie....not you by the way. You are expressing it calmly and not in an aggressive or condescending way :-)

Obviously people should only have kids if they can afford them without state benefit but when taken to its logical conclusion, it means that NO private sector worker (and some public sector workers) could EVER have kids as our jobs are not for life. You can only make a decision based on your current circumstances and a rough guess of how you will fare in the future.

Three years ago we were a double income family with no kids so we could well afford to have kids. We ended up having twins (cant legislate for that) and 18 months later the wife lost her job so income halved. Should we not have had kids because of the above argument? I think not.

I have no problem with the cuts as we had saved and are comfortable but I can very easily see how people end up relying on these state benefits after what has happened in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

How are people on welfare protected from the cut in child benefit exactly??

I know there is to be a rise in qualified child allowance of 3.80, but what does that actually mean in relation to the child benefit payments? Does it mean that mothers on lone parents allowance, for example, will still get the full payment?

I'm not clear on this issue and can't seem to findthe answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Was it not a case of reduction of child benefit now with means testing to qualify at all brought in next year?

On one hand I thought it would be much worse, on the other - I don't think they are close to being done yet. I think benefit/wage cuts, tax rises and what have you are going to be implemented over a period of time so it is not such a shock.

they have to cut €4b a year for 4 years - this year's budget was the easy one...

as for means-testing or taxing CB - its fraught with difficulties as our tax system is a bit of a mess. Its more likely they'll just cut it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sec1307

How are people on welfare protected from the cut in child benefit exactly??

I know there is to be a rise in qualified child allowance of 3.80, but what does that actually mean in relation to the child benefit payments? Does it mean that mothers on lone parents allowance, for example, will still get the full payment?

I'm not clear on this issue and can't seem to findthe answer!!

lone parent allowance is cut by 4% but we get an extra €3.80 a week in the lone parent and the €150 once a month in child benefit.....so lone parent is €225 and some odd cent instead of the 230.30 that we usually got

Advertisement