Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The what was missing thread

Options
  • 09-12-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Candidates?

I recall nothing to actually encourage domestic business and industry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Has motor tax stayed the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

I thought stamp duty on propery would be scrapped to prevent the property market from collapsing further, resulting in a NAMA part2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

reduction in employers prsi was vital in my eyes

reduction in VAT of minumum 1.5%

Reduction/Reform of the Dail and the Seanad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

i was very disappointed that nothing was done to kick start the property sector, like a reduction in stamp duty, or some kind of incentive for people to buy houses (like previously say first time buyers grants).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

mel123 wrote: »
    i was very disappointed that nothing was done to kick start the property sector, like a reduction in stamp duty, or some kind of incentive for people to buy houses (like previously say first time buyers grants).

House prices are still too high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

House prices are still too high.
    True. Though the impending property tax is probably going to have considerable consequences for the market.

Edit: To be fair mortgage interest relief was extended to 2018 for those in negative equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Why weren't the retired public servants included in the pay cuts? :mad: They received all the increases, so why no decreases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

^^^ they are getting a pay cut. Pensions are linked to current pay so a pay cut in the public sector = pension cut.

Nightwish wrote: »
    ^^^ they are getting a pay cut. Pensions are linked to current pay so a pay cut in the public sector = pension cut.

The Irish Times had listed that the pay cuts in the public sector won't affect the retired public servants. Perhaps they had their info wrong :confused:

Nope, I wasn't wrong.. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1209/breaking72.htm

A few paragraphs down. Public servant pensions will not be cut.

I work in pensions management in the Public service and because pensions are linked to current pay, as was mentioned in the article, pensions will be cut. Now the new pension scheme may be linked to cost of living but as it stands there is a pay cut for current public service pensioners. It would be wrong to say otherwise.

• Advertisement

I work in pensions management in the Public service and because pensions are linked to current pay, as was mentioned in the article, pensions will be cut. Now the new pension scheme may be linked to cost of living but as it stands there is a pay cut for current public service pensioners. It would be wrong to say otherwise.

Where are the Irish Times getting their info from so?

I do think that PS pensions should be COL index-linked, and not to benchmarking/incremental increases of actual workers.

God only knows but it's stuff like that winds people up and of course I'll be expected to have all the answers tomorrow!!!
    The new scheme has yet to be detailed so to be honest no one knows how it will work. We'll just have to wait and see.

God only knows but it's stuff like that winds people up and of course I'll be expected to have all the answers tomorrow!!!
    The new scheme has yet to be detailed so to be honest no one knows how it will work. We'll just have to wait and see.

From Lenihan's speech:
    As part of the reform of public service pension arrangements, I will review the current arrangements and consider linking pensions to increases in the cost of living. Pending that review, I do not intend to apply the pay cuts I have already outlined to existing public service pensioners.

I think this might be where the IT might be getting their info. It can be read two ways - 1. He does not intend to apply the pay cuts (for PS workers) to PS pensioners. 2. Alternatively, it could be read as he does not intend to apply the new pension scheme to existing pensioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

What was missed was a job stimulus package! The effect of the huge cuts might restore confidence which seems to be the buzzword but about 3bn will be taken out of the economy so I cannot see any hope Mr. Lenihan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Brains........My one year old could have thought up that budget

EDIT: Ok. I'll pad it out a bit. They could have reduced the VAT to at least at or under the 20% mark. Get the Northerners back down here spending. Use the fact that they're about to up theirs back to 17%

Scrappage scheme me hole! That's not needed. Another Green/SIMI nonsense. Irish people don't need to get into more debt. Most people who have a car over 10 years old can't afford a new one.

Again the children of the country suffer. So much for the Irish mentality of 'Family First'

EF wrote: »
    What was missed was a job stimulus package! The effect of the huge cuts might restore confidence which seems to be the buzzword but about 3bn will be taken out of the economy so I cannot see any hope Mr. Lenihan
      • €56 million is being made available to Fás for short term courses;
      • €20 million will go to an Activation Fund which will involve an open call for innovative proposals that have the capacity to provide work, education and training;
      • €14 million is being made available, in addition to €26 million from the EU, for supports to redundant workers in eligible companies under the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund;
      • €9½ million is being made available as support measures for the food industry to enhance the competitiveness of this key indigenous industry; and
      • €36 million will be allocated to an Employers Job Incentive Scheme giving PRSI exemption to encourage employers to take employees off the dole. Further details will be announced by the Minister for Social and Family Affairs.
      This will bring the total places available for the unemployed to over 180,000.
    Ok, not loads, but a start.

Also, will the National Solidarity Bond allow members of the public to invest in government backed business ventures? Could be an interesting prospect...

From Lenihan's speech:

I think this might be where the IT might be getting their info. It can be read two ways - 1. He does not intend to apply the pay cuts (for PS workers) to PS pensioners. 2. Alternatively, it could be read as he does not intend to apply the new pension scheme to existing pensioners.

Thanks! At least I'll be able to quote that to the staff who'll be expecting answers from me in the morning! I really dont know how to interpret it. I suppose I have to see what instruction we received from the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Ok, not loads, but a start.

Also, will the National Solidarity Bond allow members of the public to invest in government backed business ventures? Could be an interesting prospect...

This is just scratching the surface in relation to what is needed. 160m pumped into job creation and supports for redundant workers whatever that means, will have little impact on massive cuts taken away from the general pubic who spend their money in the economy

Advertisement