Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we not taking to the streets to protest at this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ste365

created thousands of jobs.......which are all gone now!!!!

Wake up and realise that the economy we have been living in for years having been created by property gurus and banking officials has been a false word that was never real!!! Payback time is happening to the lower classes and the upper wealthier classes who have most benefitted from this are being protected by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Drumpot wrote: »
    Received this from a friend , who is an accountant . . .

[font=&quot]For those who understand, no explanation is needed. [/font]
    [font=&quot]For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.[/font]

Brilliant post!

That said, 5% for all PS workers under EU30K is very high and IMHO unfair given the low cuts applied to the Taoiseach, Ministers & Dail. They should be leading by example!

Any word on Politicians expenses, duplicated pensions etc.....

PS I am not a PS Worker and generally would be amongst the strongest advocates of PS reform..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Unfortunately as can be seen from some of the replies here the Irish people are only too willing to march blindly behind these goons running the country..and therin lies the root of all our woes....

What do you suggest, sit round listen to Muse and "take to the streets"? Seriously, what are your suggestions, please and with your expected results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Brilliant post!

That said, 5% for all PS workers under EU30K is very high and IMHO unfair given the low cuts applied to the Taoiseach, Ministers & Dail. They should be leading by example!

Any word on Politicians expenses, duplicated pensions etc.....

PS I am not a PS Worker and generally would be amongst the strongest advocates of PS reform..

20% for the Taoiseach and 15% for ministers.

That is a lot more than the ps workers under 30k.

Or did you want the reduction to come in flesh weight ?

We will put you in the latter bracket (those that do not understand) . .

Not sure what your nigerian prince comment means (as it is totally out of context to my post!).

Incedentally your link only questions the authenticity of the author, it doesnt challenge the logic . . . Oh dear . .

The analogy is still sound my friend . .;)

Yeah, I'm one of them, basically don't believe everything you read in emails
    Do 10% of Irish taxpayers pay 59% of the tax, if so then it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

prinz wrote: »
    Everyone benefitted. Everyone.
    some WAY more than others...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't think the budget went far enough- and I do think that we are possibly looking at another emergency budget in 6 months time. The cost of servicing Irish debt rose .45% in the immediate aftermath of the Irish budget- which goes to show international investors are now lumping us with Greece.......

frman wrote: »
    That's because the budget isnt paying for the banks.

Who owns Anglo Irish? The governent will have to use taxpayers money to bail it out more. Its a fact. And has been addressed by the oposition after his speech!

So what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

ste365, why are YOU not out protesting? Its a bit rich coming on here to give out about the rest of the country not doing it when you are not at it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Indeed, we created the largest middle class in Europe. Anyone who wanted to earn money had the opportunity to do so and a lot of lower class people moved into the middle class as a consequence. It wasn't sustainable though and it was never going to be, so there's quite a few delusional people in the country who believe that they shouldn't be affected, though they inadvertently benefitted hugely from it.

It wasn't sustainable and now we're feeling the effects, everyone has to cut back including those who didn't get off their arses and use the opportunities during the good years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,518 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It should have been a lot tougher imo.

Public pay/pensions are still far too high. By 2050 public sector pensions will cost the country 13% of GDP :eek:

I also think child benefit should be scrapped bar for people on social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeah, I'm one of them, basically don't beliebe everything you read in emails

Seriously dude . . Stop . . Please stop . .

Doesnt matter who the email is from or who wrote it . .

The example is a fair reflection of the "tax the rich" stance some people (who dont understand basic economics) take in these times without understanding the dynamics involved in balancing the books. .

What, in any world, has that got in comparison to those viral emails about Nigerian bank millions that have no explanation of anything ? ? ?

Do you understand what an analogy is ?

Seriously ? :confused:

Sounds like you just wanted to protest regardless of what was in the budget.

You sound liek you have come out of this budget well.

Fair Play.

Lucky you. Reality doens't exist for so many people in Irish society....so many people live in their own little bubbles....wait until hard times hit you and then you will know all about it.

ste365 wrote: »
    Who owns Anglo Irish? The governent will have to use taxpayers money to bail it out more. Its a fact. And has been addressed by the oposition after his speech!

The Irish taxpayer owns Anglo Irish- and given that the stock market value of BOI and AIB are already less than the government has bailed them out by- they are effectively on life support.

The budget may not be addressing expenditure related to the banking sector- but thats only because of the smoke and mirrors tactics employed by the government to keep the incredible sums involved off the official balance sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yeah agreed, didn't benefits for the unemployed double? My pay certainly didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Unfortunately as can be seen from some of the replies here the Irish people are only too willing to march blindly behind these goons running the country..and therin lies the root of all our woes....
    So what is your alternative? Bloody revolution? All out strikes by everyone, making things worse & necessitating even more cuts?

I'm an FGer, I've been criticising the government on here & elsewhere for years, and at first glance this budget is the first sign that the government is finally starting to act on people's criticism. It shouldn't have come to this but that's no reason not to do something about it.

Cue cries of 'see there's no difference between FF & FG'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BUdget could have been alot worse IMO. Income tax was untouched. The hit to child benefit wasnt that bad. Some protection provided for those in negative equity and in difficultly with their mortgages.

The hits to the public sector mirror what has been happening in the private sector for a long time.

The carbon tax nonsense gets on my wick tho. A fancy term for is essentially tax increases on essentials that isnt used to help improve the environment.

You sound liek you have come out of this budget well.

Fair Play.

Lucky you. Reality doens't exist for so many people in Irish society....so many people live in their own little bubbles....wait until hard times hit you and then you will know all about it.

I'll pay my fair share like everyone else.

Have you been hit with a massive reduction that I missed in the budget or something ?

Or are you one of the people that believe that they shouldn't have to suffer any reduction in standard of living ?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    ste365, why are YOU not out protesting? Its a bit rich coming on here to give out about the rest of the country not doing it when you are not at it yourself.

I already have been over the last few weeks. Get down off your high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Taoiseach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to Salary‎: The Taoiseach's salary is somewhat higher than for leaders in many other countries: €257024 annually, compared to £187000 (about ...

Overview - History - List of office holders - See also
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoiseach - Cached - Similar

20% Reduction still leaves him overpaid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I agree about the bailing out of Anglo etc. I'm not sure if they've been convincing about the need to do that beyond helping the shareholders in that bank.

But going on and on about 'rich people' in general. Most people who made themselves rich did so through taking on huge personal risk and stress and sacrificing a lot for a long time before becoming wealthy and enjoying the fruits of their work. I really dislike the general 'rich people' witch hunt that's been going on of late, people hooking all the country's ills on this nebulous blob of 'rich people'.

Rich people already pay far far more tax than 'regular' people. There's a small proportion who've left the country and exiled themselves for tax purposes, but that's not most 'rich people'.

We should stop looking to punish people who've gained wealth fair and square, and start trying to become wealthy ourselves. Start being productive, stop being passive consumers. I see so many of my friends bitch about their low paying jobs while downing a latte in Starbucks, but then when I outline their options to them in terms of maybe starting their own business, or doing a part time course to get better skills for a better job, they clam up. Most people talk a good talk about wanting more, but they're not actually willing to do what's necessary. They're much happier to stick to their menial-but-mentally-untaxing work, while applying bitterness about their own inability to commit to doing better for themselves to other people who HAVE done the necessary to achieve that.

Wake up Ireland! We have to start producing, creating. People here should be starting little side businesses and stuff. It's never been easier to do this with little monetary investment. But it all depends on people's willingness to actually change your circumstances. I'm in particular talking to younger people here with little commitments. This is a generation that NEEDS to be entrepenurial.

The budget may have started to act on people's criticisms- but by god its no-where near sufficient. We need to find another 5 billion in cuts for next year, and a further 4 billion in 2011- if we are to keep our agreement with the EU Commission (and even then projections are for a national debt in excess of 100% of GDP by 2020- providing expenditure is kept under control).

We are in serious trouble........

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

created thousands of jobs.......which are all gone now!!!!

Wake up and realise that the economy we have been living in for years having been created by property gurus and banking officials has been a false word that was never real!!! Payback time is happening to the lower classes and the upper wealthier classes who have most benefitted from this are being protected by the government.

Protecting? How? Is it not a tiered approach? higher you earn the more you pay in tax, so in relative terms and actual terms the higher earners actually pay more, if you over tax high earners its a massive dis incentive to work in a country, especially considering high earners will find it easier to just up and leave as opposed to those on lower income.

I'll pay my fair share like everyone else.

Have you been hit with a massive reduction that I missed in the budget or something ?

Or are you one of the people that believe that they shouldn't have to suffer any reduction in standard of living ?

I dont have a standard of living that I would want to keep. You obviously are one of the lucky ones from those comments which seem ignorant to alot of other peoples situation in this society.

As I said. Lucky you.

Seriously dude . . Stop . . Please stop . .

Doesnt matter who the email is from or who wrote it . .

The example is a fair reflection of the "tax the rich" stance some people (who dont understand basic economics) take in these times without understanding the dynamics involved in balancing the books. .

What, in any world, has that got in comparison to those viral emails about Nigerian bank millions that have no explanation of anything ? ? ?

Do you understand what an analogy is ?

I know what an anology is, but why plaster a name at the bottom of a made up economist.

smccarrick wrote: »
    The budget may have started to act on people's criticisms- but by god its no-where near sufficient. We need to find another 5 billion in cuts for next year, and a further 4 billion in 2011- if we are to keep our agreement with the EU Commission (and even then projections are for a national debt in excess of 100% of GDP by 2020- providing expenditure is kept under control).

I agree with this.

The population was braced for a really really tough budget. This wasn't nearly as tough as expected. Missed opportunity, and will only put the problem onto next year's speech.

TokenWhite wrote: »
    Protecting? How? Is it not a tiered approach? higher you earn the more you pay in tax, so in relative terms and actual terms the higher earners actually pay more, if you over tax high earners its a massive dis incentive to work in a country, especially considering high earners will find it easier to just up and leave as opposed to those on lower income.

How many of the banking officials or property developers have been held accountable for their actions in creating this mess.Not one has fallen to their knees yet.

America hunted many of them down. There is an example to show society.

I dont have a standard of living that I would want to keep. You obviously are one of the lucky ones from those comments which seem ignorant to alot of other peoples situation in this society.

As I said. Lucky you.

I just don't get what your beef is with this budget ?

It seems that you are just p1ssed off with the Govt in general.

The budget was fair. Fairer than expected.

• Advertisement

How many of the banking officials or property developers have been held accountable for their actions in creating this mess.Not one has fallen to their knees yet.

remind me of the illegal activities that the individual bankers did again ?

Advertisement