Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we not taking to the streets to protest at this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

ste365 wrote: »
    I dont have a standard of living that I would want to keep. You obviously are one of the lucky ones from those comments which seem ignorant to alot of other peoples situation in this society.

As I said. Lucky you.

Ah cm'on your not that bad off if your sitting here typing away on your pc / laptop. Obviously still paying for your internet connection also. some people dont no the meaning of the word harsh. it wasn't that long ago we didnt have electricity in this country ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ste365

frman wrote: »
    I just don't get what your beef is with this budget ?

It seems that you are just p1ssed off with the Govt in general.

The budget was fair. Fairer than expected.

It seems to me that you are full of assumptions based on ignorance. A well educated way to discuss matters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

I wouldnt say its a fair budget as he could have hit bank bosses/managers and cut SW more. The people taking the hit in this budget will feel a lot of resentment that banks are getting away relatively scot free.

Everyone was expecting bad news but I think it could have been worse.

just my opinion of course

p.s. If it was my budget I would have halved SW and jobseekers. Anyone who cant get a job is free to leave and find one elsewhere. This would have meant less of an impact on (most of) the public sector workers that actually contribute to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

It seems to me that you are full of assumptions based on ignorance. A well educated way to discuss matters!!

I am saying that imo the budget was fair.

So discuss it, what was unfair about the budget content today ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Seriously, what do you suggest doing, and what results would you expect form your suggestions. Everyone benefited form the boom in one way or another, right now the country is paying the price for the inability to look ahead and elect competent leaders. No amount of empty rhetoric will save that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know what an anology is, but why plaster a name at the bottom of a made up economist.

I just copied and pasted the email I got . .

You completely misunderstood the "moral of the story" and brought up the topic of those Nigerian viral emails, then questioned the author, which in itself highlighted the fact that it obviously went over your head . .

Neither are relevant to the point made . . :rolleyes:

remind me of the illegal activities that the individual bankers did again ?

Who said anything about illegal activities? Thats your assumption!

If I did my job incorrectly I would be held accountable. If it was done to the scale that these officials did then it should have cost them their positions.

It hasn't.

You throw in an argument of assumption that it was illegal what they did. Thats your idea that was nto created by me.

I just was accountability!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

How many of the banking officials or property developers have been held accountable for their actions in creating this mess.Not one has fallen to their knees yet.

America hunted many of them down. There is an example to show society.

A few bankers only represent a fraction of the wealthier classes, the majority of the upper classes are as innocent as the rest of us, and what is deemed morally wrong is not necassarily illegal, not entirely sure what the government could do, Yes something could have been implemented as a condition of the gaurantees or nama, but the budget is a seperate point, pointing fingers will not solve the current economic problems we have

How many of the banking officials or property developers have been held accountable for their actions in creating this mess.Not one has fallen to their knees yet.

America hunted many of them down. There is an example to show society.

I agree in principle (there are people who should be hung!) . .

But what has that got to do with the budget ? ?

TokenWhite wrote: »
    A few bankers only represent a fraction of the wealthier classes, the majority of the upper classes are as innocent as the rest of us, and what is deemed morally wrong is not necassarily illegal, not entirely sure what the government could do, Yes something could have been implemented as a condition of the gaurantees or nama, but the budget is a seperate point, pointing fingers will not solve the current economic problems we have

= sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

remind me of the illegal activities that the individual bankers did again ?

Thats a different matter altogether. Finacial regulation was lax to say the least. In many countries what they did would have resulted in court and possibly jail time so don't play that card.

LEGALLY, what they did was 'acceptable'. MORALLY, what went on was downright despicable.

Seriously, what do you suggest doing, and what results would you expect form your suggestions. Everyone benefited form the boom in one way or another, right now the country is paying the price for the inability to look ahead and elect competent leaders. No amount of empty rhetoric will save that.

Expalin how everyone is paying the price when those responsible for causing this mess are still holding positions in the banks.

They were there when they caused the mess.
    They are still holding postions there now!

Seriously!!

JUSTICE IS SOMETHNG WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY AND THE BUDGET TODAY!!!

THATS SERIOUS FOR YOU!

Drumpot wrote: »
    I just copied and pasted the email I got . .

You completely misunderstood the "moral of the story" and brought up the topic of those Nigerian viral emails, then questioned the author, which in itself highlighted the fact that it obviously went over your head . .

Neither are relevant to the point made . . :rolleyes:

I know what the moral of the story is and I don't agree with the empty rhetoric of tax the rich as some silver bullet, it's also a bit "rich people are cool".
    Viral emails are a pet hate of mine as most of them are nonsense and alot of people believe them. A good analogy should stand on its own two legs, not need the name of a fake economist to lend some credibilty.

I agree in principle (there are people who should be hung!) . .

But what has that got to do with the budget ? ?

It is more acceptable to accept cuts on a whole IF justice is seen to been carried out in this society.

Until the banking industry is cleaned out and people are held accountable for their actions in doing their jobs incorrectly then the cuts from this budget thrown at people who have not been resppnsible for causing this will be unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Come on Ste, you no better than this. The rich get richer and poor get poorer, if the rich make mistakes its the poor who pay. Nothing will change through protests. If you want real change you need a revolution. Meet me outside Dáil Éireann in the morning, I'll bring the wood, you bring a massive blade and we'll build ourselves a guillotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Yeah, I'm one of them, basically don't believe everything you read in emails
    Do 10% of Irish taxpayers pay 59% of the tax, if so then it is.

Well according to our very own Brian Lenihan in his budget speech today:
    "Next year, almost half of income earners will pay no income tax and 4 per cent will pay almost half of the total yield"

It is more acceptable to accept cuts on a whole IF justice is seen to been carried out in this society.

Until the banking industry is cleaned out and people are held accountable for their actions in doing their jobs incorrectly then the cuts from this budget thrown at people who have not been resppnsible for causing this will be unacceptable.

So what you're saying is that we should not address the financial situation and implement any cuts until some bankers lose their jobs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Naz_st wrote: »
    Well according to our very own Brian Lenihan in his budget speech today:
    "Next year, almost half of income earners will pay no income tax and 4 per cent will pay almost half of the total yield"

And that shouldn't be, as I said I have a pet peeve for viral emails.

Qs wrote: »
    Come on Ste, you no better than this. The rich get richer and poor get poorer, if the rich make mistakes its the poor who pay. Nothing will change through protests. If you want real change you need a revolution. Meet me outside Dáil Éireann in the morning, I'll bring the wood, you bring a massive blade and we'll build ourselves a guillotine.

I have a pitchfork somewhere.

• Advertisement

Expalin how everyone is paying the price when those responsible for causing this mess are still holding positions in the banks.

Seriously!!

THATS SERIOUS FOR YOU!

You are entitled to your opinions and I share your disgust and anger over the pain we are all paying for . .

But I always use this example to friends when trying to explain my position . .

If a person is shot and are bleeding to death on the side of the road.

The speed at which they receieve medical attention will decide how quickly they recover (or if they recover at all).

You need to put your resources into one of the main problems and need to decide which one is more important.

Do you work out who shot them while trying to fix them up?

or

Do you put all your resources into patching them up and then do an extensive investigation into their shooting once they have recouperated enough ?

I believe putting all our energies and resources into getting the country out of this hole is the foremost important thing for our government to sort out . .

The issue of accountability is vitally important for our own personal feeling of justice and is vitally important to be addressed, but AFTER we have got the country in order . . Getting blood now will only give us momentary personal satisfaction, it wont solve the most important problem which is fixing up our public finances . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Because most of us know that we need to take serious pain to get the country back on track . . .

Striking on the streets wont makeup 400mil a week . .

This budget should of been tougher in my opinion . .

Bull****. You don't cut your way out of a recession and this has been a common trend in recessions for a long time. But once the government go around calling these "tough decisions" gullible people and those bitter against welfare/public servants lap it up so they can feel like little superheroes taking a hit to save the economy, when in reality the opposite will happen since personal debt is a much bigger problem in Ireland than national debt.

I am saying that imo the budget was fair.

So discuss it, what was unfair about the budget content today ?

Whats unfair is that the people who didnt cause this mess are taking a hit without ANY justice happening to the people who were responsible for causing this mess. They are still holding their positions in banks.

Do you think that is fair? If people are seen to be held accountable then people will not have as much of a problem taking these hits.

JUSTICE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY.

A 500,000 SALARY CAP ON BANKING OFFICIALS POSITIONS IS A JOKE. FAIR ENOUGH IF THEY HAD CLEARED THE BANKS OUT. BUT THEY HAVN'T.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Seriously!!

THATS SERIOUS FOR YOU!

WELL THEN START COMMENTING IN A THREAD ABOUT DODGY BANKERS!!!

You're ire is clearing reserved for the corrupt nature of FF, jobs for the boys, poorly regulated financial sector, and the greed of shady bankers. Why then are you ranting about the budget?

I don't think the budget is too bad, there are things I would have liked to have seen, but at least it's a hell of a lot better than previous FF budgets. Unless our expenditure is cut, we'll end up bankrupt. We'll be paying huge interest on our borrowings, and eventually we won't be able to borrow anymore. At last Lenihan has copped onto this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The cuts weren't too bad imo.

What exactly would you be protesting about ?
    You must be watching the wrong channel. The budget is shocking for the low and middle payed. The well off get away with murder yet again.

You are entitled to your opinions and I share your disgust and anger over the pain we are all paying for . .

But I always use this example to friends when trying to explain my position . .

If a person is shot and are bleeding to death on the side of the road.

The speed at which they receieve medical attention will decide how quickly they recover (or if they recover at all).

You need to put your resources into one of the main problems and need to decide which one is more important.

Do you work out who shot them while trying to fix them up?

or

Do you put all your resources into patching them up and then do an extensive investigation into their shooting once they have recouperated enough ?

I believe putting all our energies and resources into getting the country out of this hole is the foremost important thing for our government to sort out . .

The issue of accountability is vitally important for our own personal feeling of justice and is vitally important to be addressed, but AFTER we have got the country in order . . Getting blood now will only give us momentary personal satisfaction, it wont solve the most important problem which is fixing up our public finances . .

Slow down.If a tree falls down it is a problem that starts at the roots.

The roots of this problem start at the banks. Not one thing has been done to rectify this situation. We the tax payers will be bailing the banks out.

That is our money they are using.

Patching up problems and then running about hoping a bigger fall wont cause a bigger problem is not the way forward.

Fix the banking industry and then deal with everything else.

Its a no brainer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Shadowed

Anglo Irish is goign to need a further 6 billion next year. There is no provision for this in this budget.
    Anyone who thinks this is a fair budget does not realise that the figures that have been dealt out in this budget are going to lead to an almighty bang in next years budget. Next years budget will be billions more in cuts than this one. If and when you have lost your job and are in touble financially then you will realise that this is no a fair budget.

I agree wholeheartedly. While people may be 'generally' happy with this budget, they are failing to realise what will come with 'progressive taxation' and a combined social insurance payment from next year. We will be throwing good money after bad into Anglo and the rest of them while servicing national debt at an extortionate interest rate for ions while the income tax base will be significantly raised in 2011. Also, I'm not a PS worker but I have sympathy for anyone on €30K taking a 5% cut and then more tax down the line. Also, will be interesting to see how the 'Irish domiciled' levy of €200K will be imposed! While the sentiment may be right it's a populist measure that will be impossible to implement under self assessment rules....... Typically short term thinking AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Their jobs were to make money for the banks. I would say they were more than correct in fulfilling their duty to their employer.

To the rest of us - morally reprehensible and dangerously shortsighted.

We can point fingers and shout "Blame" later. Theres no time for it now, fix the mess, put out the fire, use whatever analogy you want - it needs to be done first.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    You must be watching the wrong channel. The budget is shocking for the low and middle payed. The well off get away with murder yet again.

What are you talking about.

A 5% cut to ps salaries less than 30k is quite acceptable imo.

I thought it would have been more.

How much were you expecting low earners to pay, nothing ? Are you serious ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

The roots of this problem start at the banks. Not one thing has been done to rectify this situation. We the tax payers will be bailing the banks out.

The root of this problem starts outside our banks. Once a cheap supply of credit dried up globally, then things hit the skids. Its not just our banking system that got hit by this - we got hit harder than most because we were leaning on an over-productive construction sector

Advertisement