Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we not taking to the streets to protest at this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

irish_bob wrote: »
    i would have liked to have seen the old age pension cut , its far too generous when you add on all the other various perks but at the same time , i dont blame any finance minister for not touching this one with a barge pole

Did anybody catch the bit at the end of the public servants pensions (who join from now on). Something about 66 years old and how this age would be linked to any changes in the retirement age.

I thought it was interesting.

I know its probably way off in the future, but it seems to me that the government is planning to raise the pension age as a way of dealing with the future pensions crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matthew712

the budget imposed an average 6% pay cut on 0.31million public servants and 0% on 1.7million private sector workers. If this was shared it would have been 1% on all.
    My family earn €86000 in the public sector - we suffer a €5350 gross loss on income alone today. My brother in law earns €100000+ in a private sector job. His pay was not reduced, he still got his bonus. he bought his car in the UK, he bought all his presents on amazon.co.uk, he did a deal with a builder who did a job for him so they both shared the vat. He suffered no cut today in income. My €5350 pay loss covers his tax evasion.
    equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

ste365 wrote: »
    Are there people outside the Dail right now? We cannot accept this budget...the millionaires sit cozy in their homes having made their millions and now the lower classes are expected to pay back for something they never created or really benefitted from like the wealthy richer classes did during that celtic tiger. The cuts now will lead to even greater cuts in the future....this today is only the start!

I dont mean this in any offensive way ste, but the only way people with your level of intelligence could end up earning over 50,000 euro a year was by applying to the civil service.

And if you managed to read today's budget, you would see that the "rich" where targeted.

OH and the reason we are not taking to the streets tomorrow is because, the privite sector have work in the morning and we arnt sick so we can't really ring in... can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Matthew712 your brother in law is one of the lucky few. Most of us in Private Sector have taken a hell of a lot of pain already.

By the way did you report him and the builder for the VAT fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Matthew712 wrote: »
    the budget imposed an average 6% pay cut on 0.31million public servants and 0% on 1.7million private sector workers. If this was shared it would have been 1% on all.
    My family earn €86000 in the public sector - we suffer a €5350 gross loss on income alone today. My brother in law earns €100000+ in a private sector job. His pay was not reduced, he still got his bonus. he bought his car in the UK, he bought all his presents on amazon.co.uk, he did a deal with a builder who did a job for him so they both shared the vat. He suffered no cut today in income. My €5350 pay loss covers his tax evasion.
    equity?
    sooooo, come and join us here in the private sector any time, you're free to lose your job any minute, its fantastic, ohh and you would actually be responsible for paying your own pension too, and if you mess up or youre not productive here too you'll get a nice do not pass go and recieve free enterance to your local social welfare office.

i've already had a 6+% cut this year excluding the tax increases in april so its not flowery and fluffy and bright green here believe me. In fact i would gladly swap with you tomorrow with your decreases.

• Advertisement

My point is why are the lucky few not asked to pay anything, while people far less well off suffer. This is not right. No I didn't report this. Fraud can be easily covered up. just look at bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

My point is why are the lucky few not asked to pay anything, while people far less well off suffer. This is not right. No I didn't report this. Fraud can be easily covered up. just look at bertie

i REPEAT the ell off already pay the most its as simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Well, that's the way it goes. There is no point in whinging, what goes up - has to come down to go up once again. It's time to keep the head down, keep the jobs (for those who work) and have a bit of optimism, as it is hardly going to get any worse. I bet there are loads of people here who have seen bigger recessions and tougher times than the current, I know this is not great and you can't feed kids with optimism, but you can't feed them with pessimism either. Take a deep breath and good luck everyone!

Well if you don't bother reporting then please don't whinge about it.

As for his salary if his company are profitable it is their right to reward their employees as they see fit. The Government are not covering their costs therefore they have to cut their cloth accordingly. Why do you not understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hollyg'lightly

Because....we are spending 50billion or million(its big whatever it is) and and taking in 30, thats why, and alas we know no amount of shouting, pouting, whinging or moaning is going to change that fact.
    Put on yer seat belts lads and lets herald in the frugal age!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

equity?

surely you knew their were to be no further tax increases in todays budget and even thier had been , it would have effected your family aswell as your brother in law , BTW , must be nice having such well of relatives :D

i've already had a 7.5% cut.
    you guys are so flexible, so productive, one wonders how the private sector has collapsed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you guys are so flexible, so productive, one wonders how the private sector has collapsed

public sector worker asleep at the wheel?

financial regulator?

the goverment?

an economy built on fresh air?

one does wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Maybe because its a very good budget?

Government for once does what is required rather than shirking their responsiblities.

Lenihan and co - I applaud you.

My take home pay is down 30% in two years. The reality is we are hanging on by our fingernails in the Private sector at the moment and we have to read rubbish being spouted by people who have secure jobs. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

wow boohoo for you so has my mother as i said and my father has had a 25% one but im not complaining i just wish the public sector could just forget their own little interests for a year or two and help the country out of recession. is that too much to ask?

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Thats a big cut matthew no doubt about it, I now however earn 60% of what I did in 2008 due to losing a very good job and gaining a not so good one, my partners part-time hours (also private sector) were aslo reduced and believe me we earned nothing close to 80k between us to start with. For all your cuts I would trade places with you in the morning, as would most of the private sector (we are not all developers), your brother obviously has skills that are in big demand if he earns 100k + and good luck to him, people like that are the people we need to keep in the country and not tax out of it, whereas most people in the PS with the exception of doctors and a few other professions could be easily replaced in the morning. I honestly cant believe how hard they went on the PS today but please remember the private sector is full of people like myself and others who have suffered far more in the last year than the PS will suffer through this entire recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

lmimmfn wrote: »
    .... and if you mess up or youre not productive here too you'll get a nice do not pass go and recieve free enterance to your local social welfare office.

You obviously don't have a lot to do with HR.
    We have a guy who is so protected by current Irish employment legislation it would take a bomb to shift him. Promotion was the only option. Someone elses problem now.

You obviously don't have a lot to do with HR.
    We have a guy who is so protected by current Irish employment legislation it would take a bomb to shift him. Promotion was the only option. Someone elses problem now.
    unions? or management incompetence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Good budget. Everyone needs to do their bit. I'd take a 5% pay cut over worrying whether I'll actually have a job this time next year anyday.

I know RTE ain't the best at selecting people to speak on their news but I had to laugh at the amount of people moaning and whinging about the pay cuts, saying they may lose their house, worried about the kids etc and in the same breath saying theyre delighted the fags aint gone up and the booze is gone down! Listen ****ers...if you're that worried about the kids and your house you'll quit dragging out of cancer sticks at 45 cent a pop, stop knocking back the liver killing gargle and allocate the money where it really needs to go.

Bottom line is that everyone in this country has had it too good in recent years (myself included)..up, up and up. It's time to just knuckle down for next few years, get through it and quit the moaning.

The government is doing what needs to be done. If I as a 24 year old can understand that then everyone else should.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

lmimmfn wrote: »
    unions? or management incompetence?

No, management fear of taking a stand.
    Large multinationals " at the center of innovation for business software" have all the same incompetencies as any government department.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sandvich wrote: »
    You know if people DON'T protest it means the government are under less pressure to make the best decisions. That's what really gets me about this.

What ? ? ?

You think that a vested interest group protesting about its OWN salary is a way to guarantee the government will make the best decisions for . . ? Who exactly will it make the best decisions for ?

Its this kind of reactionary application from our government that has gotten us into this mess. For once, the government has made the right choices for the country for the right reasons . .

Benchmarking and reduced financial regulation (so the mobs could get their mortgages) were just a few things that the vast majority of people put PRESSURE on the government to "sort out" when the times were good . . Ironically getting this "shower" out will not guarantee success from the other "shower" . Opposition were calling for Bertie to spend more in the good times , they actually berated him for under spending!! (which I am sure you remember ?!). Im not defending FF, but to vote in another party mainly because you dont like the one in power is like voting for laurel because you dont like hardy . . .

Dress it up whatever way you want . . TODAY Ireland's biggest employer has reduced its costs in line with it's revenue and the HARSH reality of Ireland's financial circumstances . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

End Social Partnership now and tell these unions to take a long ****ing hike. They seem to be of the opinon lately that they can hold the country to ransom with childish patethic strike action while the rest of us suffer.

Sandwich wrote: »
    Maybe because its a very good budget?

Government for once does what is required rather than shirking their responsiblities.

Lenihan and co - I applaud you.

Time will tell!
    The french had no toilets in verseille because everytime they did a **** they clicked their fingers and got working class to clean it up. This they did for a while, but eventually they chopped the heads of the Rich and their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Time will tell!
    The french had no toilets in verseille because everytime they did a **** they clicked their fingers and got working class to clean it up. This they did for a while, but eventually they chopped the heads of the Rich and their kids.

The similarities are frightening.

Time will tell!

Have you reported your rich brother in law for vat fraud yet then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Good budget. Everyone needs to do their bit. I'd take a 5% pay cut over worrying whether I'll actually have a job this time next year anyday.

I know RTE ain't the best at selecting people to speak on their news but I had to laugh at the amount of people moaning and whinging about the pay cuts, saying they may lose their house, worried about the kids etc and in the same breath saying theyre delighted the fags aint gone up and the booze is gone down! Listen ****ers...if you're that worried about the kids and your house you'll quit dragging out of cancer sticks at 45 cent a pop, stop knocking back the liver killing gargle and allocate the money where it really needs to go.

Bottom line is that everyone in this country has had it too good in recent years (myself included)..up, up and up. It's time to just knuckle down for next few years, get through it and quit the moaning.

The government is doing what needs to be done. If I as a 24 year old can understand that then everyone else should.

rte ( being the insufferable lefties that they are ) are always quick to wheel out the hard cases and you know what they say , hard cases make bad policy

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Look... As budgets go, it could have been a LOT worse! I am not saying if I am a public or private worker - it doesn't matter... we are all in this mess together regardless of who is responsible and together we have to get out of it.... Hands up who wants to see this country get back on it's feet and prosper again?? Thats right, everyone....

There are pros and cons to working public and private. Okay so the private sector wasn't hit as badly this time round so what - whats done is done and no amount of bitching and moanaing is going to change that.

We all need to sit down, do the math on how we are affected and move on! It won't be like this forever - nothing is!

I'm sorry if i am a little preachy... I'm just sick of doom, gloom and misreable people for the last 12 months.

• Advertisement

Yep cavemeister I was expected the tax thresholds to be lowered as well to bring in the lower paid in general on top of the PS pay cut so it could have been a lot worse (they must be saving that one for the Emergency Budget in April :eek:).

I do disagree with the lower paid PS being hit with the 5%. They should have started the cuts from €26k upwards with a higher percentage then levied at the higher earners in the PS.

Advertisement