Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benifit

Options
  • 09-12-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

IMO This only hits the workers out there the people who actually have pay for child care. Its a disgrace long termed unemployed parents more or less keep this money. Anyone on the dole 3 years or more should get no child benefit at all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

& we choose to be in receipt of social welfare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Anyone who has been unemployed for more then 3 years could easily have picked up a job before the recession kicked in. Long term unemployed not short term is who I have a problem with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

IMO This only hits the workers out there the people who actually have pay for child care. Its a disgrace long termed unemployed parents more or less keep this money. Anyone on the dole 3 years or more should get no child benefit at all

Hope it stays fine for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Exactly, why not totally kick someone when their down and take away their child benifit aswell!!! Sure why dont you just take a limb from them aswell. Freeloaders, sure why would they need two arms or legs? They dont even work!!

God bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wow, that's really fair on the poor children who had no say in being born in the first place, eh?
    Perhaps if there were more incentives to get single mothers into work, i.e better childcare policies, it would benefit the government a lot more than just dishing out welfare to them. Most single parents would love to work, at least part time, but are severley restricted by the punitive cost of childcare, which voids most of the wages they would earn anyhow.

Besides, I'm not entirely clear - will lone parents on welfare acually get to keep the full amount of child benefit? I understand the qualified child allowance is to rise, but what does that actually mean in relation to child benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

There is no incentive to go back to work. If you were at home for that long and getting €204 a week, plus all your other benefits what would you be doing.
    People get struck in a rut and they stay that way. As a country we have to decide if that is what we want - if so TAX needs to go up substantially. If not CUT, CUT CUT.

Perhaps some people need an incentive to go back to work - cut their welfare and get back to work. If people had to work to pay their bills and put food on the table then creative ideas and hardwork would have to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

there is no incentive to work for the long term unemployed people be it parents or single parents or whatever, im not talking about the people that lost their jobs recently, they are the ones in mortgage arrears, their mortgage is alot more than the 20 euro a week that you pay for rent when you have a council house?! my friends husband lost his job and had been working for the last 30 odd yrs he was told by social welfare that if his wife was making more than 350 a week he would be entitled to nothing, thats a nice pat on the back after paying your taxes for the last 30yrs!

The reason most single mothers aren't going back to work is very simple.

They cannot afford to due to childcare costs.

Anyone thinking anything else needs a reality check. Check on creche etc costs. Not everyones family is interested in looking after their grandchilden.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Besides, I'm not entirely clear - will lone parents on welfare acually get to keep the full amount of child benefit? I understand the qualified child allowance is to rise, but what does that actually mean in relation to child benefit?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the CB is going down for everyone. If you get qualified child allowance, then that goes up to cover the reduction in CB. That way you (hopefully) don't lose out over all.

One reason for this is that technically the CB belongs to the child, not the parent. That makes it difficult to means test it (since nearly all children have no income).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Has there been any change to the payment to parents of children who do not live in the state?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

+a million if the government had of spent the early childcare allowence on providing AFFORDABLE child care think about the amount the highly intelligent women on the workforce like european countrys :)
    johngalway wrote: »

Anyone thinking anything else needs a reality check. Check on creche etc costs. Not everyones family is interested in looking after their grandchilden.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Has there been any change to the payment to parents of children who do not live in the state?

IIRC that's treated the same as other children's allowance. However as I pointed out before, that's a red herring and it doesn't cost us a lot.

Agreed!

The early childcare supplement was a wasted oppurtunity for the government. Instead of giving out the payment willy nilly to parents on top of child benefit, they should have used the money to fund a national childcare scheme wherein all families could avail of discounted or free childcare, or an after school programme like they have in the U.S.

Everyone benefits from mothers being given the option to work. However, I fear this government will continue being incredibly short-sighted and pooling their resources in all the wrong places and lone parents will continue to be caught in the welfare trap for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

in france my brother and his partner send their eldest son to daycare his 2 and a half they pay in accordance to what their incomings and tax they pay !

ceret wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the CB is going down for everyone. If you get qualified child allowance, then that goes up to cover the reduction in CB. That way you (hopefully) don't lose out over all.

Sorry if I seem incredibly dim, but is qualified child allowance a seperate payment to lone parents allowance? I've never heard of it!

As someone currently claiming LPA, I can't figure out how the budget affected my child benefit :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Agreed!
    The early childcare supplement was a wasted oppurtunity for the government. Instead of giving out the payment willy nilly to parents on top of child benefit, they should have used the money to fund a national childcare scheme wherein all families could avail of discounted or free childcare, or an after school programme like they have in the U.S.

Isn't that basically what they replaced it with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

johngalway wrote: »

exactly! what about the working mothers and fathers? my friend and his wife have to get his mother to pay the creche fees, they both work! if they didnt work they would get the creche free!

ceret wrote: »
    IIRC that's treated the same as other children's allowance. However as I pointed out before, that's a red herring and it doesn't cost us a lot.
    €4.77million

Yes that is a lot! It's that kind of celtic-tiger / endless-supply-of-money attitude that has the government so lacking in funds right now.

bmmck wrote: »
    exactly! what about the working mothers and fathers? my friend and his wife have to get his mother to pay the creche fees, they both work! if they didnt work they would get the creche free!

Thing is, not all grandparents will or want to pay for their son or daughters kids. Most will help, but due to various financial/location/doesn't give a toss reasons a lot can't or won't.

Not much point in getting free creche if when a person goes to work they then have to pay full whack. You're working for nothing then, or working at a loss. And people complain there's no incentive... There isn't, really.

Carrot, not stick, in this instance. Working parents spend, spend, spend. They have to. Subsidise the creche for those in vulnerable positions and let them improve their own lives and careers through being able to work.

If a person can't work, they can't get ahead, they can't eventually get to a place to be able to pay for themselves, they can't pay tax.

It's simple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56,041 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the Daily Mail today there was a report sasying that Ireland pays child benefit to children in 190 countries.:eek:

Heck, I didn't even know there was 190 countries

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    In the Daily Mail today there was a report sasying that Ireland pays child benefit to children in 190 countries.:eek:

Heck, I didn't even know there was 190 countries

And you can just imagine how well the government can verify all these claims, considering how well they can verify claims made on people who are actually supposed to be in the country.

dvpower wrote: »
    Isn't that basically what they replaced it with?

The early childcare supplement was only ever paid to parents of children under 5 years old and this new pre-school payment will be paid towards the same age group. What about older children?

School finishes at 1.30 for the first two years of primary and 2.30 for older primary children. In my experience, it's virtually impossible to get a job during these hours alone - I've tried! Even if you're lucky enough to get a job to fit around the school term, you're stuck during holidays/half days. Like another poster mentioned, I don't get any help from my family who all work themselves.

Affordable childcare, especially for after school hours, would solve so many of these problems for all parents, not just those on welfare. I just wish the government would listen to parents on this issue and invest money where it would be most likely to bring longterm returns and allieviate so many of the problems stressed out, cash-strapped parents are experiencing right now.

Advertisement