Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the carbon tax mean in € per litre

Options
  • 09-12-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I know the carbon tax is €15 per tonne, but what does that translate to on a litre of petrol and diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Petrol +4.2c from midnight. (VAT inclusive)
    Diesel +4.9c/l from midnight. (VAT inclusive)
    acc to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Kerosene +8.4%
    Marked Gas Oil +8.7%
    LPG +3.9%
    Fuel Oil +8.7%
    Natural Gas +6.0%
    Peat Briquettes +10.1%
    Coal +11.1%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

dvpower wrote: »
    Kerosene +8.4%
    Marked Gas Oil +8.7%
    LPG +3.9%
    Fuel Oil +8.7%
    Natural Gas +6.0%
    Peat Briquettes +10.1%
    Coal +11.1%

From May 2010, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Forgive my ignorance, but will the revenue generated from this 'green tax' be ring-fenced to develop green initatives in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

Forgive my ignorance, but will the revenue generated from this 'green tax' be ring-fenced to develop green initatives in the country?

Hee hee hee! good one. It reminds of the time the government introduced a carbon tax and a car scrappage scheme in the one breath. Prohibitive petrol prices to stop people driving but car scrappage to buy a new car. Am i missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The key priority will be to fund sustainable energy programmes for which €98m will be available – including €50 million from the proceeds of the Carbon Tax.

The full year yield will be €330m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm prettty sure that's what he said alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

How will electricity be affected ? Is it down to how it's produced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Thanks DV.

As long as the money raised is going to do something positive in the long run i think i can justify paying the increase in the price per litre. I wont like it tho!!

I know it's slightly OT but what was done to road tax for cars older than june '08?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

iMax wrote: »
    How will electricity be affected ? Is it down to how it's produced ?

It won't be affected because the "carbon" cost is already paid by the generators that use fossil fuels, i.e. you're paying it already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

How, in dire financial times, can the Greens justify introducing what can only amount to an inflationary tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The Greens aren't bothered, they got their ideological bit in, and the government got their tax.

Its not going to be used to offset pollution or anything.
    Best to just accept it's a tax.
    May as well call if a toothbrush tax if your prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Magnus wrote: »
    Petrol +4.2c from midnight. (VAT inclusive)
    Diesel +4.9c/l from midnight. (VAT inclusive)
    acc to this

I'd love to know how they work that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bmaxi wrote: »
    How, in dire financial times, can the Greens justify introducing what can only amount to an inflationary tax?

Do you think the Greens and their ideological supporters really care?
    As far as they're concerned, we should pay through the nose for every single little luxury in our lives, simply because the Greens feel slightly guilty about their own comfortable lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Heroditas wrote: »
    Do you think the Greens and their ideological supporters really care?
    As far as they're concerned, we should pay through the nose for every single little luxury in our lives, simply because the Greens feel slightly guilty about their own comfortable lifestyle.

Well said Heroditas....and they will be fondly remembered after the next general election for it too..

Advertisement