Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im off to do my shopping up North- P***ed off public servant

Options
  • 09-12-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Thats it for me. Ive been loyal and shopped in Ireland and tried to buy Irish products since this recession hit but now I give up. I am a low paid public servant who was hit by the income levy, then the pension levy and now a 5 % pay cut. I cant afford to shop here anymore. I can save the 5% the government are taking from me by shopping elsewhere and keep my family afloat (just) and thats exactly what Im going to do. I got nothing in the boom so now Im f***ed if Im paying anymore to bail the government and the bankers out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Who cares what you do ?

If you don't think that was a fair budget, there is no talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

cant blame you

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Charisma wrote: »
    Thats it for me. Ive been loyal and shopped in Ireland and tried to buy Irish products since this recession hit but now I give up. I am a low paid public servant who was hit by the income levy, then the pension levy and now a 5 % pay cut. I cant afford to shop here anymore. I can save the 5% the government are taking from me by shopping elsewhere and keep my family afloat (just) and thats exactly what Im going to do. I got nothing in the boom so now Im f***ed if Im paying anymore to bail the government and the bankers out.

you better go today before the petrol price goes up ! dont forget to factor in the transport and opportunity cost, then see how much you "save".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hem

I've taken a 20% pay cut this year on top of the levies imposed by the government and had my pension suspended.

But I will still do my shopping in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

damoz wrote: »
    you better go today before the petrol price goes up ! dont forget to factor in the transport and opportunity cost, then see how much you "save".

Ive no choice really. I have to tighten my belt because I cant afford to live anymore without doing something. When I add up what I spend annually on groceries and household goods and clothing,a trip up North once a month will save me more than 5%. I could do without the hassle but I will end up bad debt if I continue paying out more money here than I would there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Cost of living has gone down by more than 5%...
    There is no negative effect on your real income compred to last year.

As for going up north, go ahead, it not illegal:D

I got nothing in the boom

Oh yeah, are you sure about that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Go for it.

Just remember, what isn't taken in this year in taxes will be made up for with a tougher budget next year.

Perhaps go find some work where your pay isn't benchmarked, because you know things go up AND down, not just up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Good on you. I think everyone should go up and shop in the North as a protest at the disparity in the budget targettig the middle and not the top AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

The reduction in VAT & Duty here combined with

a) VAT increase in NI from Jan 1st 2010;
    b) Transport cost to the north & travelling time;
    should significantly reduce the cost benefits of shopping in the north.

I was up north earlier this week and the savings are already pretty small.

Thankfully, we are rapidly becoming more competitive and I think that this budget will have moved us in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Alessandra wrote: »
    Good on you. I think everyone should go up and shop in the North as a protest at the disparity in the budget targettig the middle and not the top AGAIN.

People that earned more were hit harder.

Is that not fair or did you want some blood ?

The reduction in VAT & Duty here combined with

a) VAT increase in NI from Jan 1st 2010;
    b) Transport cost to the north & travelling time;
    should significantly reduce the cost benefits of shopping in the north.

I was up north earlier this week and the savings are already pretty small.

Thankfully, we are rapidly becoming more competitive and I think that this budget will have moved us in the right direction.

I don't doubt there is a reduction in the divide but I think anyone less than 2hours drive can still make a substantial saving crossing the border particularly on clothes and alchohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yeah. That'll show them.
    (and put thousands of retail workers on the dole, but never mind about that)

Time to "redevelop" that road to Newry I believe, if they act quickly they can have the roadworks set up by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

YES! I too shall cut off my nose to spite my face!

hurrah :rolleyes:

frman wrote: »
    People that earned more were hit harder.

Is that not fair or did you want some blood ?

There are still plenty of people who are not in public sector who are still earning plenty of money. The cuts could have been harder on everyone.

It's beyond belief how we have the same gov't in charge. Nothing left in Ireland for a young person anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Can't blame you tbh. The goverment have raped you with this budget.

There are still plenty of people who are not in public sector who are still earning plenty of money. The cuts could have been harder on everyone.

It's beyond belief how we have the same gov't in charge. Nothing left in Ireland for a young person anymore.

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I got nothing in the boom so now Im f***ed if Im paying anymore to bail the government and the bankers out.

Yes you did.. You got pay & benefits that are well above a sustainable level for a country of this size..
    This budget is not about bailing out the banks.. its about cutting the deficit between tax take and expenditure, of which you and your colleagues (as well as social welfare) are a sizable portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

I feel your pain OP (PS too) but your boycott won't make any difference. Stay at home and spend at home.

My anger stems from the inequality. There was effectively no budget for workers outside the PS today. We are now shouldering the country and don't expect thanks because we don't want it.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »

Pardon?

I got out a few months ago, thankfully. The grass is actually greener over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ive no choice really. I have to tighten my belt because I cant afford to live anymore without doing something. When I add up what I spend annually on groceries and household goods and clothing,a trip up North once a month will save me more than 5%. I could do without the hassle but I will end up bad debt if I continue paying out more money here than I would there.

Are you really that close to the breadline that you have already removed luxury items from your shopping bills?

It seems to me that most of the people complaining are totally unaware of how good they actually have it.
    "oh my god, its a recession and now I can only afford to spend €250 every weekend..."

You have no idea what true hardship is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I feel for ya. My sister is in the same position.

That said, though, if you don't want to be tied to the ups and downs of the government's finances, don't get a job with the government. Unfortunately the people who are paid by the government DO have to bail the government out, just as employees of any company do the same when their company hits rocky waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

ulysses32 wrote: »
    My anger stems from the inequality. There was effectively no budget for workers outside the PS today. We are now shouldering the country and don't expect thanks because we don't want it.

I dont get this statment at all.

Inequality? If you want equality with the private sector then chances are you will now be on jobseekers(reduced at that). If not then you would most likely suffer a 15-20% cut in wages.

Fair enough saying you are shouldering the country, you shouldered it in the good times and reaped the benefits, now in the bad times you must take the hit. it works both ways.

Today could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ulysses32 wrote: »
    I feel your pain OP (PS too) but your boycott won't make any difference. Stay at home and spend at home.

I have a feeling this is going to be trotted out time and time again ove rhte next days and months.

Can you honestly say that you feel, after all the facts and figures that have been released, that you weren't earning more than you should have been for the work you were doing while also having rock solid job security and an unbelievably good pension?

This budget is finally introducing some equality, not inequality as you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

There are still plenty of people who are not in public sector who are still earning plenty of money.

and those people pay between 50 and 77% of the taxes not one ps apologist ever responds to that fact

tax exiles now have to pay around 200K people have been crying for this for ages and now its in are people happy? no still bitch and moan

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

nkay1985 wrote: »

Can you honestly say that you feel, after all the facts and figures that have been released, that you weren't earning more than you should have been for the work you were doing while also having rock solid job security and an unbelievably good pension?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

So people aren't allowed to be rich anymore? Have you any idea how free enterprise works? The profit motive?

I think the tax system in the country is relatively progressive. In fact, apart from high net worth individuals avoiding tax, I don't have a problem with it. The problem I have is the government pissing it up against the wall, and the corrupt nature of FF, friends on state boards etc. Altogether, I just don't think they are very competent, nor trustworthy.

I got out a few months ago, thankfully. The grass is actually greener over here.
    Feel free to stay there permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have a feeling this is going to be trotted out time and time again ove rhte next days and months.

Indeed, and I just do not get it.

What do people want?

The government cannot enact a pay cut outside of the PS. When they draft their budget for pay, of course it's just for the PS. The PS is the only place they have that authority and that responsibility to draft a HR budget.

Would you prefer they raised taxes for everyone so they could spare their own employees pay cuts?

How comfy.

For every PAYE worker in this country, their financial situation is a function of their company's own financial situation and the tax policy in the country.

When companies hit the rocks, their workers suffer. Pay is cut. People lose jobs. And this has been happening UP AND DOWN the country. You just don't hear about it as much because a lot of these companies are private, or small or whatever, and they don't air their dirty financial linen out in public like the government must, or they're too small to come under media scrutiny. (This attention, by the way, on the public sector, because of the visibility of the government and its employees' unions is why I think they have a sense of being more important and more entitled to protection - and why they strike when others do not).

The government is just another 'company'. They're in a privledged position however to affect everyone's financial situation via taxes. But it would NOT be fair of them to insulate their own workers from pay cuts by raising everyone's taxes, prioritising their workers over those of other companies.

If you don't like the company you work for, go work for another and see how much better or otherwise it is.

Advertisement