Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im off to do my shopping up North- P***ed off public servant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 akakeno

Completely agree with you LookingFor

The unions have convinced them all that they're untouchable. Somehow they convenience the rest of us for years that public servants were poor and need to catch up. I've been so shocked over the last weeks realising how much these people actually get paid, they are way ahead! Never mind the overtime, allowances and pension...

The unions in this country get way too much airtime from the media. The unions dealing with foreign private sector companies had a tactic of bleeding them dry and sending them packing... no job preservation. If they continue fighting they will cost people their jobs rather then what seems a small cut in wages with the deflation effect taken into account (I mean for the lower income earners, anyone earning more then 50k can afford it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Im sick of this sh*t. Not all the private sector are living in fear of losing their jobs, thats rubbish. If jobs ARE being lost its from businesses that were badly managed and should not have been trading anyway. This recession has sorted the wheat from the chafe. Just coz a business was started doesnt give the entitlement to continue in bad times. Greed, uncompetitivesness, poor management and waste are to blame for a lot of it. And indeed overpaying staff and lucrative bonuses played a part too

the banking crisis caused a drying up of credit which caused otherwise successfull business to cease to operate due to not being able to get credit

this is the reason alot of business have gone to the wall not because they were badly managed. alot of badly managed business's have gone to the wall
    As regards the public sector, my girlfriend and I both work in it, COMBINED wage 70K a year. In the last year we have seen this fall by 15K, so dont come on with this crap that it is only today we are complaining about. And dont start this crap that we are lucky to have jobs, we are doing the jobs that plenty of people thought were beneath them when times were good.

i assume thats from the various levies etc? now besides the pension levy everyone in the private sector has to pay those levies aswell. everyone in the private sector has to pay the extra taxes. so a couple in the private sector earning 70K combined is paying the exact same thing as you besides the pension levy. they are also subject to massive pay cuts / pay freezes and potential job losses. now you are too, get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ulysses32 wrote: »
    No. I would prefer they raised taxes and cut everybody's pay equally, public and private. those unemployed or outside the tax net would remain uneffected.
    go look up the law of diminishing returns and look what happened when they raised taxes in the last budget then come back to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Beruthiel wrote: »
    A large chunk of the private sector no longer have jobs.
    Not all the private sector are living in fear of losing their jobs, thats rubbish.
    If jobs ARE being lost its from businesses that were badly managed and should not have been trading anyway.
    Errr...?
    As for your second statement, I can't begin to address how ludicrous it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Im sick of this sh*t. Not all the private sector are living in fear of losing their jobs, thats rubbish. If jobs ARE being lost its from businesses that were badly managed and should not have been trading anyway. This recession has sorted the wheat from the chafe. Just coz a business was started doesnt give the entitlement to continue in bad times. Greed, uncompetitivesness, poor management and waste are to blame for a lot of it. And indeed overpaying staff and lucrative bonuses played a part too

Yep, this is all true (although there's some companies doing fine who take the opportunity of a recession to cut fat without attracting heat for it).

But the same applies to your company, aka the government.

When you sign up to work for anyone, you are implicitly tieing yourself to its fortunes.

If the government is badly managed and makes bad choices and finds itself in a crappy situation, its employees are going to suffer, just as a private company's will when it's poorly managed etc.

As regards the public sector, my girlfriend and I both work in it, COMBINED wage 70K a year. In the last year we have seen this fall by 15K, so dont come on with this crap that it is only today we are complaining about. And dont start this crap that we are lucky to have jobs, we are doing the jobs that plenty of people thought were beneath them when times were good.

Sure, it's not just today. As for job security, it is a valid point. No other company offers this AFAIK, if they did it would no doubt be considered a nice perk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I have never seen so many bitter people in one place. Its a sad characteristic if you revel in other's misfortunes. Those of you who are thrilled at the public sector being targetted today may feel vindicated but lets see how you feel when spending drops and yet more jobs are lost in the retail/pub/restaurant sector. The burden for recovery has been placed very firmly on the public sector and those on welfare. While ye're all dancing with delight remember that karma is a b*tch and while the road is long it'll eventually come to bite the begrudgers and belittlers on their very precarious backsides.

BTW I'm a private sector employee who has not had their pay reduced and in fact, will be getting my bonus this Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 furrysnookerbal

Namlub wrote: »
    Errr...?
    As for your second statement, I can't begin to address how ludicrous it is.

You might need to read the post I commented on again..

"We cannot make any solid plans for the future because we could loose our jobs at any second"

Errr????????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

akakeno wrote: »
    Completely agree with you LookingFor

The unions have convinced them all that they're untouchable. Somehow they convenience the rest of us for years that public servants were poor and need to catch up. I've been so shocked over the last weeks realising how much these people actually get paid, they are way ahead! Never mind the overtime, allowances and pension...

The unions in this country get way too much airtime from the media. The unions dealing with foreign private sector companies had a tactic of bleeding them dry and sending them packing... no job preservation. If they continue fighting they will cost people their jobs rather then what seems a small cut in wages with the deflation effect taken into account (I mean for the lower income earners, anyone earning more then 50k can afford it).

Who cares how much they get paid? Complaining about that is simply begrudgery, I wish it was more focused on what the government can afford to pay.
    I am certainly not going to complain about public sector wages being too high, fair play to them if they have a job that pays well and is both secure at the same time. It must be understood that there is now a major deficit.

Ok maybe thinking of the Goverment as the countries largest company might help.
    This company must downsize or fold.
    It has two choices a) cut staff or b) cut wages
    Or maybe a third choice c) collapse.

b) was chosen which the staff of said largest company should be thankful for.
    Would you prefer a reduced salary or no salary?

Yes, other companies are doing ok and maybe some are not cutting down - but yours isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Charisma wrote: »
    Thats it for me. Ive been loyal and shopped in Ireland and tried to buy Irish products since this recession hit but now I give up. I am a low paid public servant who was hit by the income levy, then the pension levy and now a 5 % pay cut. I cant afford to shop here anymore. I can save the 5% the government are taking from me by shopping elsewhere and keep my family afloat (just) and thats exactly what Im going to do. I got nothing in the boom so now Im f***ed if Im paying anymore to bail the government and the bankers out.

You've actually gained from this recession whether you realised it or not. That 5% pay cut has been more than offset by reductions in the cost of living in this country, at something like 6.5% alone in the year to date. So in real terms your wages actually go further now than they did this time last year.

But let's not let facts enter into a debate on the public service. We can never allow that... :rolleyes:

On the other hand I don't know if I'm going to get paid for the work I'm doing at the moment. Or if the job will be there next month. So yeah, you really have it f*cking hard that you can afford to take a trip up the bloody north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You might need to read the post I commented on again..

"We cannot make any solid plans for the future because we could loose our jobs at any second"

Errr????????
    I'm assuming Beruthiel was referring to the "large chunk", meaning my point stands. But yeah, you put it in bold so you must be right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I have never seen so many bitter people in one place. Its a sad characteristic if you revel in other's misfortunes. Those of you who are thrilled at the public sector being targetted today may feel vindicated but lets see how you feel when spending drops and yet more jobs are lost in the retail/pub/restaurant sector. The burden for recovery has been placed very firmly on the public sector and those on welfare. While ye're all dancing with delight remember that karma is a b*tch and while the road is long it'll eventually come to bite the begrudgers and belittlers on their very precarious backsides.

BTW I'm a private sector employee who has not had their pay reduced and in fact, will be getting my bonus this Christmas.

I suspect there are plenty more like you who are staying quiet through all of this.

Well said. At least you have some idea of whats goin on, unlike others here. Enjoy your bonus!!!

Namlub wrote: »
    I'm assuming Beruthiel was referring to the "large chunk", meaning my point stands. But yeah, you put it in bold so you must be right...

I'm glad you realise that. Thanks

I have never seen so many bitter people in one place. Its a sad characteristic if you revel in other's misfortunes. Those of you who are thrilled at the public sector being targetted today may feel vindicated but lets see how you feel when spending drops and yet more jobs are lost in the retail/pub/restaurant sector. The burden for recovery has been placed very firmly on the public sector and those on welfare.

*facepalm*

No one is revelling in this. I have family in the public sector.

People are pointing out the ridiculousness of some of the statements being made, but that's not the same as revelling in the misfortune of public sector workers!

It's ****ty! I don't think anyone said otherwise.

Also: the burden of economic recovery is on our exporters. Simple as that really. Public sector pay cuts and welfare are just band-aids for the government's current financial situation. Which is NOT the economy. Another seemingly common misunderstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 akakeno

Jumpy wrote: »
    Who cares how much they get paid? Complaining about that is simply begrudgery, I wish it was more focused on what the government can afford to pay.

b) was chosen which the staff of said largest company should be thankful for.
    Would you prefer a reduced salary or no salary?

Yes, other companies are doing ok and maybe some are not cutting down - but yours isnt.

Jumpy, this is a way was what I was trying to say, thanks... I do feel for the people that have lost out. Its more how the unions have spun it for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

jeez, went to Enniskillen today and I have never seen so many southern reg cars in the asda car park.... 3/4 of the cars must have been from the south...

francosp wrote: »
    I suspect there are plenty more like you who are staying quiet through all of this.

Ya let them all speak up. Time for some truth about this private sector "demise"!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

OP a bit of slightly good news is if you bought your house in the last 5 years then the mortgage interest relief is extended for another 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Ya let them all speak up. Time for some truth about this private sector "demise"!!!!!!!!

That can be easily be seen in the unemployment numbers..

Plenty of Private Sector companies are doing well.. whats your point?
    Is it that you want them to continue to bailout your overstaffed underperforming departments?
    If the public sector was doing as well as those companies and could actually balance it's books you wouldnt be getting hit atm, but you couldn't, and your unions wouldn't allow it.... Your no different from anyone else, if you can't manage your business then issues occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Ashanti wrote: »
    I did't bemoan the amount of money friends of mine were making then despite my having much higher qualifications and earning less money. Some of their businesses are still doing very well, still having christmas parties and still getting bonuses.

Well you had a choice to find another job, but for whatever reason, you stayed were you were. Who's fault is that? You should take some personal responsibility for your choices.

• Advertisement

LookingFor wrote: »
    *facepalm*

No one is revelling in this. I have family in the public sector.

People are pointing out the ridiculousness of some of the statements being made, but that's not the same as revelling in the misfortune of public sector workers!

It's ****ty! I don't think anyone said otherwise.

Also: the burden of economic recovery is on our exporters. Simple as that really. Public sector pay cuts and welfare are just band-aids for the government's current financial situation. Which is NOT the economy. Another seemingly common misunderstanding.

Sorry, are you reading the same thread as me? Go back a few pages and you'll see quite a few comments revelling in the pay reductions. I stand by what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matthew712

the budget imposed an average 6% pay cut on 0.31million public servants and 0% on 1.7million private sector workers. If this was shared it would have been 1% on all.
    My family earn €86000 in the public sector - we suffer a €5350 gross loss on income alone today. My brother in law earns €100000+ in a private sector job. His pay was not reduced, he still got his bonus. he bought his car in the UK, he bought all his presents on amazon.co.uk, he did a deal with a builder who did a job for him so they both shared the vat. He suffered no cut today in income. My €5350 pay loss covers his tax evasion.
    equity?

Well you had a choice to find another job, but for whatever reason, you stayed were you were. Who's fault is that? You should take some personal responsibility for your choices.

Does this not apply to the choices made by private sector as well? Works both ways.

Matthew712 wrote: »
    the budget imposed an average 6% pay cut on 0.31million public servants and 0% on 1.7million private sector workers. If this was shared it would have been 1% on all.
    My family earn €86000 in the public sector - we suffer a €5350 gross loss on income alone today. My brother in law earns €100000+ in a private sector job. His pay was not reduced, he still got his bonus.

So you'd like a communist state, basically?
    Does this not apply to the choices made by private sector as well? Works both ways.

Of course it does!

If I choose to work for a private company and it hits the wall, I'm **** out of luck. I suffer.

If I choose to work for the government and it his the wall, I'm **** out of luck too. I suffer. But at least if I'm in a permanent position I hold on to my job.

My family earn €86000 in the public sector - we suffer a €5350 gross loss on income alone today. My brother in law earns €100000+ in a private sector job. His pay was not reduced, he still got his bonus. he bought his car in the UK, he bought all his presents on amazon.co.uk, he did a deal with a builder who did a job for him so they both shared the vat. He suffered no cut today in income. My €5350 pay loss covers his tax evasion.
    equity?

Report him or the builder. Having discovered that a previous boss was not paying over paye I have no sympathy for evaders, if it was my own brother I'd report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

equity?

I think it's quite clear why it's your brother in law that is the one earning over 100,000, maybe you could learn a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

why should the reduction of the over inflated ps bill be shared among everyone?
    equity?

why should he his company is clearly not in the crapper like yours is and also amazon.co.uk charges irish vat so the goverment gets their cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Rb wrote: »
    Feel free to stay there permanently.

Oooh burned.

yes it true a teacher earns 26% more than the guy who cleans the toilet in mc donalds. you've got me there.

• Advertisement

don't think you understand communism?

Advertisement