Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im off to do my shopping up North- P***ed off public servant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Maybe you should do some job hunting when you are up North. But you may be dissappointed to find your UK equivalent is paid considerably less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 swampdonkey

I'm sick of public sector whining, your pain will never compare to the pain endured by the private sector so far in this recession. God love ye there's a recruitment embargo - that would mean your jobs are pretty much secure then surely. We don't have such luxuries in the private sector. It's a pity the brainless Muppet Lenihan, hadn't the balls to get rid of a few thousand of them. There are two types within this sector - the Temporary and the Permanent staff. Fortunately it's the temporary staff that do the 'donkey work', the permanent staff have reached the status of privileged, untouchable and unsackable who no longer need to work. God forbid if someone demanded work from them, because they would probably require an extended period of sick leave due to stress, oh and yes that magic word...'bullying'. So tough **** and welcome to the club, I just hope the days of waste and dossing are coming to an end for Ireland's sake.

keyboard warrior, get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

keyboard warrior, get a grip

In what way does the above comment contribute to this thread? Have a 'pair' and give a point of view, childish sniping is just the kind of Muppet behaviour that has put this country where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

E39MSport wrote: »
    1) Yes, yes I have witnessed it first hand.

2) Think about the type of mentality and 'ethos' involved whereby staff get paid to do their shopping.

It's crazy. A good shake is what's needed.

a mentality?
    So no private sector staff ever get a half day for Christmas shopping.
    I said before that you could look at it as a christmas bonus, as PS staff don't and never got a christmas bonus.

In what way does the above comment contribute to this thread? Have a 'pair' and give a point of view, childish sniping is just the kind of Muppet behaviour that has put this country where it is today.
    Muppet behaviour, that made me laugh.
    Is government policy, inaction, lack of leadership not among the myriad of things that has us where we are today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 furrysnookerbal

Actually, here's the official reaction from the civil servants to the budget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

You're way too funny......why are you on here wasting time while you could be making a fortune as a comedian? Or maybe you like wasting time........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Charisma wrote: »
    Thats it for me. Ive been loyal and shopped in Ireland and tried to buy Irish products since this recession hit but now I give up. I am a low paid public servant who was hit by the income levy, then the pension levy and now a 5 % pay cut. I cant afford to shop here anymore. I can save the 5% the government are taking from me by shopping elsewhere and keep my family afloat (just) and thats exactly what Im going to do. I got nothing in the boom so now Im f***ed if Im paying anymore to bail the government and the bankers out.

do you live many miles or km from north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

public sector is kinda saved tho no?,i mean,people that got let go of their contracts where on short term ones,so to save money they are not recruiteing more people,unlike in the private sector you would be let go regardless years of service...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

imme wrote: »
    Muppet behaviour, that made me laugh.
    Is government policy, inaction, lack of leadership not among the myriad of things that has us where we are today.

its certainly a contributry factor alright thank god they seem to have seen the light somewhat at least and are now starting to show leadership with this budget. they have also drawn a line in the sand over letting the ps continue getting more bloated / expensive and innefficient so thats one policy for the better and finally they actually followed threw so there is the end of the inaction

will i vote for them? **** no. did they just make our recovery that much easier? **** yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

a mentality?
    So no private sector staff ever get a half day for Christmas shopping.
    I said before that you could look at it as a christmas bonus, as PS staff don't and never got a christmas bonus.

Yes, a mentality.

I would say that very few private sector employees receive paid leave to go shopping. If they elect to take time from work then it would fall under their annual leave. Anything else doesn't make commercial sense.

Re: proposed Christmas bonus, thanks for the steer but I'll take it for exactly what it is. A blatant waste of public money and another example of the indefensible slef serving cushy existence of a lot of public 'service' staff.

• Advertisement

Yes, a mentality.

I would say that very few private sector employees receive paid leave to go shopping. If they elect to take time from work then it would fall under their annual leave. Anything else doesn't make commercial sense.

Re: proposed Christmas bonus, thanks for the steer but I'll take it for exactly what it is. A blatant waste of public money and another example of the indefensible slef serving cushy existence of a lot of public 'service' staff.
    oh yeah it's all self self self with those pesky PS workers isn't it.
    So if private sector staff get some time off for Christmas shopping it's ok, if PS workers get time off for same it's indicative of a mentality, a blatant waste of public funds, indefensible.

So if private sector staff get some time off for Christmas shopping it's ok, if PS workers get time off for same it's indicative of a mentality, a blatant waste of public funds, indefensible.

One is a wasteful policy paid for by me and other tax payers. The other would be a discretionary gesture at the behest of the employer.

However, if my employer was stupid enough to allow me to drop tools and go to the shops with all my colleagues then nothing would get done, service levels would suffer and our customers would bear the brunt. That's why it doesn't happen in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I have never heard of anybody in the private sector getting time off for christmas shopping, aside from people who take out of the there holidays.

Secondly, as it has been said many time before, the state is up the swanny money wise, they should be cutting back on the frivolous and sending out the right message. The state isnt a private company, it can get away with out balancing the books for a long time, but at a heavy penalty on interest. The public sector needs reform for its own good as well as the rest of the country. If it stays the way it is then the old school will sit pretty milking away while its tough luck on anybody who wants in or on the lower pay scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

I have come up with my solution - The country is a sinking ship, delfation has to happen, not because I want it to, but we are like a bunch of Dummy's sitting at a stall trying to peddle our beans for twice the price of the guy next to us. Are our beans better? Are they ####, they are the same ####ing beans.

Now this is the break down:
    We over pay our staff for producing these beans, now you might be sitting at the bottom of the ladder saying "Wait i do not get paid a lot" well sucks to be you, I am talking about the big picture, we really got out of control, the entire western world got out of control, but our little Island takes the prize for the "Child in a sweet shop" scenario.

The private sector tends to adjust to this a lot faster than the public sector they have no choice, companys go bust, people lose jobs, new companies form etc.... Only the strong survive.

The Banks getting bailed out, was a mistake they should have been told to #### off, not all banks would have failed, the banks that had borrowed and leant respossibly would have survived, the scenario told by the governments that everything would collapse in my opinion was just scare tactics.

Our government has sat around waiting to see what happens, well done guys you have done a bang up job!!
    I feel we are at the point where we cannot save ourselves, so I will not only do my shopping in the North but I think I will move my business to the north, I do not wish to be apart of a nation where leadership is non-existant and the people employeed to service and run the country are so blinded by their own greed, arrogance and plane ineptitude it is hard to see any future or hope of reasonable action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

moceri wrote: »
    Maybe you should do some job hunting when you are up North. But you may be dissappointed to find your UK equivalent is paid considerably less.
    yes but the uk has one public servent to every 10 people
    we have one to every 15 people

One is a wasteful policy paid for by me and other tax payers. The other would be a discretionary gesture at the behest of the employer.

However, if my employer was stupid enough to allow me to drop tools and go to the shops with all my colleagues then nothing would get done, service levels would suffer and our customers would bear the brunt. That's why it doesn't happen in the real world.
    O but you are so great and the perfect employee and you pay tax
    Mabey you might tell us what you do for a living as we will tell you how great you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

I have come up with my solution - The country is a sinking ship, delfation has to happen, not because I want it to, but we are like a bunch of Dummy's sitting at a stall trying to peddle our beans for twice the price of the guy next to us. Are our beans better? Are they ####, they are the same ####ing beans.

Now this is the break down:
    We over pay our staff for producing these beans, now you might be sitting at the bottom of the ladder saying "Wait i do not get paid a lot" well sucks to be you, I am talking about the big picture, we really got out of control, the entire western world got out of control, but our little Island takes the prize for the "Child in a sweet shop" scenario.

The private sector tends to adjust to this a lot faster than the public sector they have no choice, companys go bust, people lose jobs, new companies form etc.... Only the strong survive.

The Banks getting bailed out, was a mistake they should have been told to #### off, not all banks would have failed, the banks that had borrowed and leant respossibly would have survived, the scenario told by the governments that everything would collapse in my opinion was just scare tactics.

Our government has sat around waiting to see what happens, well done guys you have done a bang up job!!
    I feel we are at the point where we cannot save ourselves, so I will not only do my shopping in the North but I think I will move my business to the north, I do not wish to be apart of a nation where leadership is non-existant and the people employeed to service and run the country are so blinded by their own greed, arrogance and plane ineptitude it is hard to see any future or hope of reasonable action.

When you get over the border, don't let the gate hit you on the ass as you go:pac: Lenihan is providing leadership. Do you think messers Brown and Darling are doing a good job in that other economy. Like hell they are. They have printed a lot of dosh, to paper over the wide gaping chasms in the foundations of their very own sinking ship. Chickens will be flocking home to roost there in very great numbers over the coming years.
    Meanwhile, Lenihan, at least will have put something better than peper over our own problems.
    Let's keep driviing down costs in all sectors. Down with PS pay. Down with semi state pay. Down with private service pay. Down with energy costs. Down with paper pushers, box tickers and silly energy regulators.
    Up with competitiveness. Up with export sector. Up with tax revenue on the back of all I have mentioned before. Listing ships begins to right itself, just in time to see the bubbles in the water after good ship Brown and Darling has gone to the bottom. :D

If you can, persuade that clown McWilliams to join you on the other side.

rkevin wrote: »
    O but you are so great and the perfect employee and you pay tax
    Mabey you might tell us what you do for a living as we will tell you how great you are

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

I work in the public service and I'll still be on 50k+ after all the levies and deductions. Oh yeah, I have a few increments left on my scale so I'll be getting an wage increase in a few weeks ;)

Looking forward to my 1/2 day shopping next week, thanks very much. :rolleyes:

Well said.
    but you ran to mammy and made a complaint
    That say it all about you

• Advertisement

Cuchulain wrote: »
    I work in the public service and I'll still be on 50k+ after all the levies and deductions. Oh yeah, I have a few increments left on my scale so I'll be getting an wage increase in a few weeks ;)

Looking forward to my 1/2 day shopping next week, thanks very much. :rolleyes:
    Think i am about to be banned but i am on the 65 k and my increment in January will mean i have took about a 1% paycut
    Not sure how long it will last but guys you should have jumped on the wagon year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'd imagine the one to 15 statistic includes the army, which is pretty substantial at what, 150,000 or so?

Plus, if you're paying employees less, it stands to reason that you can hire more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the one to 15 statistic includes the army, which is pretty substantial at what, 150,000 or so?

Plus, if you're paying employees less, it stands to reason that you can hire more of them.

yeah england has a population of 50 odd million. 150,000 army joe's doesnt make up the difference.

but you ran to mammy and made a complaint
    That say it all about you

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its actually about 11-12 public & civil servents per person afaik
    not that it makes much difference.

yeah england has a population of 50 odd million. 150,000 army joe's doesnt make up the difference.
    ya 150000 out of 6 million PS workers
    i taught there army was a lot bigger than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Sorry quote button has dissapeared:

"When you get over the border, don't let the gate hit you on the ass as you go Lenihan is providing leadership. Do you think messers Brown and Darling are doing a good job in that other economy. Like hell they are. They have printed a lot of dosh, to paper over the wide gaping chasms in the foundations of their very own sinking ship. Chickens will be flocking home to roost there in very great numbers over the coming years.
    Meanwhile, Lenihan, at least will have put something better than peper over our own problems.
    Let's keep driviing down costs in all sectors. Down with PS pay. Down with semi state pay. Down with private service pay. Down with energy costs. Down with paper pushers, box tickers and silly energy regulators.
    Up with competitiveness. Up with export sector. Up with tax revenue on the back of all I have mentioned before. Listing ships begins to right itself, just in time to see the bubbles in the water after good ship Brown and Darling has gone to the bottom.

If you can, persuade that clown McWilliams to join you on the other side."

I think you are disillusioned, "Chickens will be flocking home to roost there in very great numbers over the coming years." This is a joke right?

The devaluing of the Sterling is the correct move, the UK will come out on top long before we do, if we could devalue the euro we would but we cannot yet another master stroke by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

Ah you poor underpaid overworked misunderstood little public servant. God help you. Of course, the country owes you everything.

You're lucky to have a job !

Go up the North - AND STAY THERE. take the rest of the whingers with you. Go and live off their public servants' wages.

Absolutely no sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

You've got to remember that the Norths economy is extremely subsidised by the British Government as a result of the peace processs.

Is this 1 in 10 the same for ther rest of the UK, I'd doubt it.

If the British told NI to stand on it's own 2 feet, it would collapse. over 1/3 of the working population is said to be employed by the state.

The average wage in the public sector in NI is the same as in the rest of the UK.

I've said before in this forum, my wife moved jobs from the NI public sector 2 years ago. She increased her wage by 40% to do the exact same job. She has no problem losing 6.5%, as she's still much better off than 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

and how every bad our PS staff are that 150000 in the army are not do much for the uk people

Advertisement