Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im off to do my shopping up North- P***ed off public servant

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

danman wrote: »
    You've got to remember that the Norths economy is extremely subsidised by the British Government as a result of the peace processs.

Is this 1 in 10 the same for ther rest of the UK, I'd doubt it.

If the British told NI to stand on it's own 2 feet, it would collapse. over 1/3 of the working population is said to be employed by the state.

The average wage in the public sector in NI is the same as in the rest of the UK.

I've said before in this forum, my wife moved jobs from the NI public sector 2 years ago. She increased her wage by 40% to do the exact same job. She has no problem losing 6.5%, as she's still much better off than 2 years ago.
    Yes and if the private sector moved north they would also take a 30 % cut.
    our problem was cause by greed in the private sector that cause inflation to run at 5% and caused wage demands
    Banks, builder, pub,restaurants accountants, solicitors, estate agents, retail, ect have cause all this and until thay cut wages more and cut there prices more they will be no recovery and we will have this for 10 year
    If the private sector did not get greed we would have a 20% less public sector wage bill so shame on the private sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

seandeas wrote: »
    Ah you poor underpaid overworked misunderstood little public servant. God help you. Of course, the country owes you everything.

You're lucky to have a job !

Go up the North - AND STAY THERE. take the rest of the whingers with you. Go and live off their public servants' wages.

Absolutely no sympathy.
    can u post this again and use the quote button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

rkevin wrote: »
    and how every bad our PS staff are that 150000 in the army are not do much for the uk people
    :confused:

can u post this again and use the quote button

Can you post again and use the English button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Yes and if the private sector moved north they would also take a 30 % cut.
    our problem was cause by greed in the private sector that cause inflation to run at 5% and caused wage demands
    Banks, builder, pub,restaurants accountants, solicitors, estate agents, retail, ect have cause all this and until thay cut wages more and cut there prices more they will be no recovery and we will have this for 10 year
    If the private sector did not get greed we would have a 20% less public sector wage bill so shame on the private sector

that is a very fair point.
    We have to remember back when it all started, back in the 90's there were few de-regulated markets and little competition.
    The markets you mentioned above seen the oppertunity and started the upward spiral of prices.

However the same said service providers can also argue with validity that it was the increase in their cost base either directly from government & their companies eg: esb or indirectly from poor government policy that necessitated their higher costs.

Chicken vs Egg I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

and how every bad our PS staff are that 150000 in the army are not do much for the uk people

Hang on, I think I got it:

And however bad our PS staff are, that 150000 in the army don't make much of a difference to the population of the UK.

That's the English equivalent. Took me half an hour to translate. And it still means the same as "My hovercraft is full of eels!" to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From yesterday's Sligo Weekender:
    Union to run bus in ‘shop North’ protest
    By John Bromley

A PROPOSED "shop North" protest by public sector workers in reaction to pay cuts imposed in last week’s Budget is to go ahead despite being branded as "irresponsible" by a Sligo retailers group.

Trade union SIPTU is organising a bus to Enniskillen this week in a "you hurt us we will hurt you" response to the pay reductions imposed by Finance Minister Brian Lenihan.

Sligo SIPTU organiser John McCarrick said last Thursday that union members will go to Enniskillen to shop and will post their receipts from their purchases in Northern Ireland to the Minister for Finance to express their anger over the way in which their pay had been cut.

He said Mr Lenihan’s cuts "would backfire on him" as more public sector workers would now shop in the North in protest.

However, McCarrick’s comments provoked an angry reaction from the recently formed Fair Dealers campaign, which has been trying to encourage people to shop in Sligo rather than going across the border.

Phelim O’Neill, founder of the campaign, said that he was shocked that a trade union representative would condone such a move. He said he found Mr McCarrick’s call "ill-advised, poorly thought-out and irresponsible".

"We all know that one job in this county will be lost for every 150 local people who shop in North of Ireland. To think that SIPTU would recommend action that would endanger their members employment is simply outrageous."

But yesterday, Monday, Mr McCarrick said that they were going ahead with the protest and would be meeting last night to make arrangements for the trip north.

He said that they were doing this to draw attention to the fact that public sector workers "are going to pay on their own without any consideration of what it will mean for them and for the economy".

Mr McCarrick said that Mr Lenihan’s cuts would hit the economy. "The people who have been clamouring for public sector pay cuts should realise that every euro that is spent generates €14 for the economy but also every euro that is taken out of people’s spending power is a loss of €14.

"That is something that people like ISME (small and medium sized business organisation) and the chambers of commerce who have been clamouring for public sector cuts should realise."

He said that there would probably not be any other protests this side of Christmas but he warned: "People have said the unions are finished but the unions have not yet begun to fight. Mr Cowen has already been told that he could work out a deal by agreement or he could have hand to hand combat."

He also said that if there was to be another national day of action it would "close down the country".

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhsngbmhkf&cat=news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I think that it is now obvious that the trade unions would prefer 1 private sector job loss to save 150 public sector workers 5% of their salary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Ever see the film the Cassandra Crossing? The union guys remind me of the men in the white overalls forcing us to stay on the train as it heads towards the faulty bridge even though they will be destroyed along with the passengers.

It's national suicide!mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think that it is now obvious that the trade unions would prefer 1 private sector job loss to save 150 public sector workers 5% of their salary

Quite reasonably too. Unless that private sector worker was paid more than 7 times the amount the public sector worker is paid then this is quite sensible, but unions are always wrong!

It just sends out one message and one message alone:
    We are not prepared to take any cuts, we will oppose any changes whatsoever, we don't care about the rest of the country and if you go near my stash I'll fight you till the end.
    No possibility of compromise and in fact where's my promised increase?
    If an opponent is completely unwilling to give even an inch the only option is to completely break them down and bludgeon them into submission.
    So careful guys, because if this never give in attitude continues the only response would be Thatcherite, freeze outs and hire people who bloody well will work for what is basically good money by any definition.
    The golden goose is about to bite back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jibberjab

I think it's funny the way everyone talks or complains about shoppers from the south going up north to do their shopping. When we shop in Tesco, Next, M & S, Debenhams, Atlantic homecare, B & Q, River Island, Oasis, etc. etc. etc. in the south, millions and millions of euro is leaving Ireland everyday and going to the UK., so why are we complaining about the few shoppers going up north. Look at the products we buy and think are Irish owned, an example is Lyons tea, now owned by an English company. Ireland needs to wake up to this whole problem and the millions lost every day. And I'm sure people will say, but they employ alot of Irish people in their stores, believe me what they pay to workers and for rent etc is only a tiny fraction of the millions that they are taking out of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Jibberjab--i think you will find that Atlantic is irish owned.

Its owned by the Grafton gropu who also own Woodies.

However i agree ith your sentiments. The Brits left 80 yrs ago but crept back in and now UK stores are a major factor on your streets.

Just look at Henry Street--the only big store thats irish is Arnotts.

RGS wrote: »
    Jibberjab--i think you will find that Atlantic is irish owned.

Its owned by the Grafton gropu who also own Woodies.

So that would explain why they're badly stocked and WAY overpriced when compared to English owned stores, such as Wickes, B&Q and the likes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So that would explain why they're badly stocked and WAY overpriced when compared to English owned stores, such as Wickes, B&Q and the likes...

I don't know about Atlantic as they don't operate in the North West, but Connaught Gold is great example of an Irish based & Irish owned co-operative, who apart from producing consumer foods, dairy ingredients, livestock and timber, also have well stocked & competetively priced DIY & garden stores throughout the Connaught region. In Sligo, they even closed down an old shop in the middle of the recession, only to re-open a new one, to compete with the likes of Homebase (minus the furniture / home funrnishing section).

It'd be great to see more businesses like this operating on our island. There should be no need to pay €4 plus for a roll of masking tape to an english company, when you should be able to buy it from an Irish company for less than €2, as you can with Connaught Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

I don't know about Atlantic as they don't operate in the North West, but Connaught Gold is great example of an Irish based & Irish owned co-operative, who apart from producing consumer foods, dairy ingredients, livestock and timber, also have well stocked & competetively priced DIY & garden stores throughout the Connaught region. In Sligo, they even closed down an old shop in the middle of the recession, only to re-open a new one, to compete with the likes of Homebase (minus the furniture / home funrnishing section).

It'd be great to see more businesses like this operating on our island. There should be no need to pay €4 plus for a roll of masking tape to an english company, when you should be able to buy it from an Irish company for less than €2, as you can with Connaught Gold.

just did my shop today, delighted with my lot, not that big a crowd shopping, which meant no pushing, pulling and queuing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Rujib1 wrote: »
    When you get over the border, don't let the gate hit you on the ass as you go:pac: Lenihan is providing leadership. Do you think messers Brown and Darling are doing a good job in that other economy. Like hell they are. They have printed a lot of dosh, to paper over the wide gaping chasms in the foundations of their very own sinking ship. Chickens will be flocking home to roost there in very great numbers over the coming years.
    Meanwhile, Lenihan, at least will have put something better than peper over our own problems.
    Let's keep driviing down costs in all sectors. Down with PS pay. Down with semi state pay. Down with private service pay. Down with energy costs. Down with paper pushers, box tickers and silly energy regulators.
    Up with competitiveness. Up with export sector. Up with tax revenue on the back of all I have mentioned before. Listing ships begins to right itself, just in time to see the bubbles in the water after good ship Brown and Darling has gone to the bottom. :D

If you can, persuade that clown McWilliams to join you on the other side.

If pay goes down, how does tax revenue go up?

Advertisement