Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards.ie photography Q&A with David LaChapelle is now live

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wrooked-capped Canker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

humberklog wrote: »
    Wrooked-capped Canker.

While I have no idea what this means, I read it as,"Can't take a guy in a trucker hat seriously."
    Which is my first thought on see Dave.

OK figured it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Concept first eh? Duh, I guess i've a long way to travel on this particular journey :D

To be fair to the chap he had talked for maybe 4 hours on his stuff. I think he may have been a little tired at that point.

Thanks for posting. I wondered what had happened it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Not a bother - I'm just mental busy and kept putting it off until tomorrow...

I'm glad it's finally live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

watched it all, I like him. he's honest and different. he got a little pissed off with the digital editing questions and I can see why. alot of people dont understand that you could edit film photos way back too, add and remove things, change contrast, sharpen etc. also the type of film you use effects the image. a dslr has 1 kind of 'film', its sensor.

Its worth watching the whole interview, he gives alot of himself I think

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

LOL Someone actually asked him had he ever shot swans:D

LOL Someone actually asked him had he ever shot swans:D

and he did, so swans are cool now!

and he did, so swans are cool now!

Eh no. Dave lechpalle is not cool, nor swans.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Deadly and cool...

6E5BB18C8D814DBBBAAC70A5962FAD2F-500.jpg

Eh no. Dave lechpalle is not cool, nor swans.

why dont you like him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

WOOT my question got asked ! Thanks Darragh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

anyone got a link to the African image where he put the flies into the shot ?
    would be interesting to have links to the images he is talking about...

Shame about the quality of the video...

Interesting stuff and keep it up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Anyone not la chapelle'd out at this stage can catch another interview here;

http://short.ie/suqi3v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't get the hate for the guy, I really enjoyed his talk and am blown away by his images.

Rb wrote: »
    I don't get the hate for the guy, I really enjoyed his talk and am blown away by his images.

Really?!! Hate!!? I can't and don't see any of that shown on this thread and wouldn't see any hate shown to him in any other posts...could you point out any post or indeed thread that shows a hate towards this chap? As a person who has posted in a negative (in a small and personal (holy moly I even used a Spoonerism)) way I'd like to distance myself from any post of hate. Could you point to any other posts?

To Kumate...what I don't like about him is his revelry in the glam of it all. Sure we'd all be seduced (we are all but human). But when it's worn so obviously on a sleeve it just puts me right off. Crooked cap is so ferkin' annoying too...the eyes being a window into the soul? Arse! Pure arse! It's how you wear a hat as a man: that tells a lot...and his is sideways. It's an undignified clamour for a distinction of celebrity. Take the facking photos, wear a hat correctly and fack off. Let them (the pics) be judged and don't sicken me with the idea you can be bigger than your photo. It's the same (if not more ) as taking a bland photo and giving it a cryptic title with a fancy signature. My thinking is: let the photo speak and shut the farrrrck up!
    He wears a bandy hat and talks shoight...but I don't hate him ( I quite like bits and bobs of his) and haven't seen any posts of hate either.

To cap...I don't hate him, haven't seen a post of hate either, but do dislike him as he shows very obvious (and human) signs for a craving of celebrity. What if Jedward could sing? Well he's the musical version of a Jedward with an ear for a tune...is that good? Maybe. Do I have to like it? Eh no....it is in its entire (in my little book of stuff that's in/out)...basically bollix. Very unlovely in my book. Take the pics and fark off...and straighten the jayzuz cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well, I don't mean literal hatred, "hate" is more commonly used online these days (I find) to represent motions of (seemingly) undue resentment. A lot of "hate" can be found with regards to celebrities where people mock them despite them having accomplished quite a bit, often "hate" can be attributed to jealousy.

So I don't mean literal hatred but calling him a wanker would be what I'd call undue resentment :)

Rb wrote: »
    Well, I don't mean literal hatred, "hate" is more commonly used online these days (I find) to represent motions of (seemingly) undue resentment. A lot of "hate" can be found with regards to celebrities where people mock them despite them having accomplished quite a bit, often "hate" can be attributed to jealousy.

So I don't mean literal hatred but calling him a wanker would be what I'd call undue resentment :)

English forum>>>>>few blocks over and a few down. Here (as I read it, and understand the word) HATE is HATE.

On a bytheby I do get what you mean Rb. The 'net has become a place to vent a lot of negativity. But putting it simply down to jealousy is a bit silly and overlooking a wider flaw in humanity that has been exposed on 'net forums. And to skip towards the idea that my comment was jealousy...well I'd need to be a photographer to start with (and I'm not). I'm very aware of the problem that online discussion forums have re: wanton negative slangings and do hope that my post about DlaP hasn't been taken up as this. It was dismissive but that's not a viewpoint I take often, nor easily, either on-line or off it. But on reading your post a second time it does make sense in a broader context, but I do think my Spoonerism falls outside of that context. It wasn't lazy, last common denominator fodder...I do think he's a bit of a twat and that tarnishes nearly all his work in my eyes. Again...take the pics and if asked quesions then be sure to wear your hat straight when answering them.

Really?!! Hate!!? I can't and don't see any of that shown on this thread and wouldn't see any hate shown to him in any other posts...could you point out any post or indeed thread that shows a hate towards this chap? As a person who has posted in a negative (in a small and personal (holy moly I even used a Spoonerism)) way I'd like to distance myself from any post of hate. Could you point to any other posts?

To Kumate...what I don't like about him is his revelry in the glam of it all. Sure we'd all be seduced (we are all but human). But when it's worn so obviously on a sleeve it just puts me right off. Crooked cap is so ferkin' annoying too...the eyes being a window into the soul? Arse! Pure arse! It's how you wear a hat as a man: that tells a lot...and his is sideways. It's an undignified clamour for a distinction of celebrity. Take the facking photos, wear a hat correctly and fack off. Let them (the pics) be judged and don't sicken me with the idea you can be bigger than your photo. It's the same (if not more ) as taking a bland photo and giving it a cryptic title with a fancy signature. My thinking is: let the photo speak and shut the farrrrck up!
    He wears a bandy hat and talks shoight...but I don't hate him ( I quite like bits and bobs of his) and haven't seen any posts of hate either.

To cap...I don't hate him, haven't seen a post of hate either, but do dislike him as he shows very obvious (and human) signs for a craving of celebrity. What if Jedward could sing? Well he's the musical version of a Jedward with an ear for a tune...is that good? Maybe. Do I have to like it? Eh no....it is in its entire (in my little book of stuff that's in/out)...basically bollix. Very unlovely in my book. Take the pics and fark off...and straighten the jayzuz cap.
    all this because of a hat? what about socks, do you have to wear them pulled up or is it ok to have them rolled down?

jedward are two kids, this man has had a long career with experience in many types of photography.

and didnt he also mention in the interview that he gave up fashion photography because of the glam involved in that industry?

all this because of a hat? what about socks, do you have to wear them pulled up or is it ok to have them rolled down?

jedward are two kids, this man has had a long career with experience in many types of photography.

and didnt he also mention in the interview that he gave up fashion photography because of the glam involved in that industry?

Nope, not because of a hat; but the way he wears it. Socks I've no issue on.

Yep...old enough to not try and "be down wi'h deh kidz" through wonkily worn garb.

Yeah...it's called Guff.

Nope, not because of a hat; but the way he wears it. Socks I've no issue on.

Yep...old enough to not try and "be down wi'h deh kidz" through wonkily worn garb.

Yeah...it's called Guff.

you wouldnt like the curragh racecourse on derby day, tonnes of sideway hats!

• Advertisement
Advertisement