Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get my Norton antivirus back?

• 09-12-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

My laptop was really playing up so I re-installed windows

I had a pretty solid norton anti-virus package, but when reinstalled it was gone. I checked all the original cds that came in the box there's no norton anti virus one

Any way I can get in contact with them and get it back?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't bother, there's been a few threads about it here, general consendus is that its worse than any virus for slowing down a pc. I know people making a living taking it off
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746009
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055761850

Get Avast, its free.
    Or If You insist on paying for a suite, get Nod32

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't bother, there's been a few threads about it here, general consendus is that its worse than any virus for slowing down a pc. I know people making a living taking it off

Get Avast, its free.

Or even better, Microsoft Security Essentials, fully free, light, and no pop ups etc, did quite well in AV Comparatives list last month (very few false possitives compared to others aswell)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Get Avast, its free.
    The "General Consensus" by people who dont use the program.

Your topic is not helpful Pog. Most of your comments on the topic are rarely if ever helpful. And Im getting sick off your ****. Take your opinions to someone who cares. The OP clearly states they have paid for the software and wish to use it. If you want to refund the OP the cost of the software out of your own pocket im sure something can be arranged over Paypal.

@OP: If you registered the license with norton just go to mynortonaccount.com, log in, and get your serial key. Then go and download the Trial of whatever version you had (if you had Internet Security 2007 installed you can get 2010, etc) and then once the program loads just activate with your Serial Key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »

The general consensus by people who remove the POS. I also see it causing problems and slowing down peoples pc's every single day. I work with people who handle services calls every day that turn out to be Norton problems. I know people who remove it for a living. Terrible, terrible software. You may say the latest version is ok and light on resources, maybe it is, but my (and everyone elses) experience is that its just a POS, worse than a virus.

Other than You nobody else here has recommended it, nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its shii, end of story.

Go with AVG or some other freeware AV and grab malware bytes and spybot search and destroy. Problem solved :)

• Advertisement

The general consensus by people who remove the POS. I also see it causing problems and slowing down peoples pc's every single day. I work with people who handle services calls every day that turn out to be Norton problems. I know people who remove it for a living. Terrible, terrible software. You may say the latest version is ok and light on resources, maybe it is, but my (and everyone elses) experience is that its just a POS, worse than a virus.

Other than You nobody else here has recommended it, nobody
    Well Im no shill, if you want to try me.

But I have used Internet Security 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

I cannot speak for whatever your "Professionals" face trouble with. If a customer tries to install any antivirus on top of existing antivirus; or if they try to remove the norton software improperly, there can be a problem. Otherwise I have never had one single issue with the software.

@Anti: Suggesting AVG? Now thats definitely crap. And so is - in my opinion, relying on a Neapolitan combination of freeware.

But that is neither here nor there. This thread is about Installing Norton after a reformat. Not about User Reviews. As a [Former] Moderator Anti I shouldnt need to remind you theres a Charter in place, and the pair of you are breaching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

As a [Former] Moderator Anti I shouldnt need to remind you theres a Charter in place, and the pair of you are breaching it.

The recommendations here are perfectly valid. Why go to the hassle of finding the old key and subscription when a free service like a Avira/Avast/MS Essentials performs better than Norton in every single AV comparative?
    And so is, in my opinion, relying on a Neapolitan combination of freeware.

What does the city of Naples have to do with anything?

Btw, Anti's right on the combination of software. No AV database is complete. Malwarebytes and Spybot should be considered an essential measure towards having a secure PC.

AVG really is sh*t though. PC in work running it was found to have 10 separate viruses by malwarebytes.

The recommendations here are perfectly valid. Why go to the hassle of finding the old key and subscription when a free service like a Avira/Avast/MS Essentials performs better than Norton in every single AV comparative?
    Because it was Paid for, for starters. And its also what the OP asked about. Not about how to throw their money out the window.

Its only as much hassle, by the way, as checking my email, to just go here and login. And the software loads in all of 45 seconds without a reboot. So Im not sure where you are getting Hassle from.

OP who's your laptop vendor? And how did you reformat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Your topic is not helpful Pog. Most of your comments on the topic are rarely if ever helpful. And Im getting sick off your ****. Take your opinions to someone who cares. The OP clearly states they have paid for the software and wish to use it. If you want to refund the OP the cost of the software out of your own pocket im sure something can be arranged over Paypal.

@OP: If you registered the license with norton just go to mynortonaccount.com, log in, and get your serial key. Then go and download the Trial of whatever version you had (if you had Internet Security 2007 installed you can get 2010, etc) and then once the program loads just activate with your Serial Key.
    lol

Because it was Paid for, for starters. And its also what the OP asked about. Not about how to throw their money out the window.

Its only as much hassle, by the way, as checking my email, to just go here and login.

It's obviously OEM software.

btw, filling out an online form is actually more hassle than clicking a single link to download avira and then running the executable.

Btw, you're defensiveness about the anti-Norton posts is grating and irrational. It should be up to the OP surely to decide whether our recommendations are relevant.

• Advertisement

It's obviously OEM software.

btw, filling out an online form is actually more hassle than clicking a single link to download avira and then running the executable.

Btw, you're defensiveness about the anti-Norton posts is grating and irrational. It should be up to the OP surely to decide whether our recommendations are relevant.
    Irrational how.

Heres irrational: Just install Linux because windows was giving you problems! Its easy!

Trying to help someone reinstall something they have asked help with reinstalling is not irrational. I dont tell people to Uninstall AVG even though I think its awful software. I advise them how to remedy their problem. If someone wants to ask me what I would rather use (#4 same link), I will tell them.

Talk about grating im wearing thin of hearing the homogeneous "OMZ its a virus people get paid to delete it" rhetoric.

Believe me if my PC ever gets infected while I have Norton installed I will be the one to cast the first stone. Until then.

Irrational how.

Heres irrational: Just install Linux because windows was giving you problems! Its easy!

Trying to help someone reinstall something they have asked help with reinstalling is not irrational.

Giving out to someone because they offer a perfectly viable alternative is though. And that's just what you did...
    Your topic is not helpful Pog.

That is irrational. Póg offered an alternative the OP may not have considered. Let the OP decide and stop getting so defensive.
    I dont tell people to Uninstall AVG even though I think its awful software. I advise them how to remedy their problem. If someone wants to ask me what I would rather use (#4 same link), I will tell them.

You had no problem telling him it was sh*t though in you're first post. Not much difference son, only someone like yourself didn't join the thread telling us what horrible posters we all are.
    Believe me if my PC ever gets infected while I have Norton installed I will be the one to cast the first stone. Until then.

I love how you assume everyone has never used it without even asking. Now that IS irrational :rolleyes: Anyway, I've used Norton on and off since 97. I'd hazard I'm as familiar with the product line as the most advanced Norton user. I have had the experience you've just said. And I've found I've had to resort to freeware to perform the task the paid for software was supposed to. Granted in recent years it has improved since the torrid versions at the start of this decade, but it's detection rates are still pretty low for a tool that you pay for. There are very sound reasons why the Norton brand is despised so much, most of it based from actual experience, like my own. But by the sounds of it, you don't want to know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:rolleyes:

Locking this to calm the trainwreck until I have time to sift through the debris later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ok lads, I'm gonna chime in at this point....

I don't want any more bollix about norton on the forum or I'm gonna start dishing out bans. Some of you dislike it, some of you like it. Let's not go jumping down each others throats at the first mention of antivirus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement