Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Four of Six out of the way, and I'm pretty pleased so far. Two more on Tuesday and Wednesday, and that's it till May.

I heard that someone was caught cheating earlier, and this evening they were checking all calculators: making sure it's the not programmable and doesn't have notes on the back. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

bnt wrote: »
    Four of Six out of the way, and I'm pretty pleased so far. Two more on Tuesday and Wednesday, and that's it till May.

I heard that someone was caught cheating earlier, and this evening they were checking all calculators: making sure it's the right model and doesn't have notes on the back. Anyone got one of those "special" TI-83s? :cool:

In my chem exam we were told to take the backs off our calculators and put them on the ground. I seen a guy up ahead of me whip his tippex out and cover over something on his before he did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    In my chem exam we were told to take the backs off our calculators and put them on the ground. I seen a guy up ahead of me whip his tippex out and cover over something on his before he did

A guy in the row beside me took a sheet out of his pocket and hid it under his answer booklet. Kept looking at it throughout the exam, it was pretty blatant, dunno how he didn't get caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

For these people caught cheating does anyone know what punishment they get. i saw a chap today trying to read from notes and he was caught in the act. Is it simply a slap on the wrist or more serious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

ant043 wrote: »
    For these people caught cheating does anyone know what punishment they get. i saw a chap today trying to read from notes and he was caught in the act. Is it simply a slap on the wrist or more serious ?

If it's quite serious you can potentially get kicked out without a chance of reapplying in the future, dunno how often, if ever, it's invoked though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Financial Economics and Advanced Macro today, tough but fair enough exams I suppose.
    Both lecturers decided to try a little cat amongst the pigeons, but not too bad!

1 left to go!

Animal Physiology today, was a wee bit worried going in but some nice questions came up so it all worked out gravy in the end. Only one exam left now on Tuesday, but its going to be a gruesome exam so haven't been able to get excited just yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Case Studies in Computational Science this evening, exam wasn't too bad (relatively predictable), just very long! Got a cramp in my hand with about 5 minutes to go :mad:

3 down, 2 to go. Got Mathematical Biology on Wednesday, that should be a barrel of laughs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

WeeBushy wrote: »
    A guy in the row beside me took a sheet out of his pocket and hid it under his answer booklet. Kept looking at it throughout the exam, it was pretty blatant, dunno how he didn't get caught.

I know that they sometimes don't tell the person during the exam so as not to disrupt other people, I think invigilators are supposed to make notes of things like that and report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The head invigilator of old was back today. The mans a legend.

'Invigilators, papers please':cool:

As cool as a cucumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The head invigilator of old was back today. The mans a legend.

He told us today that we weren't allowed use electronic calculators in the hall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Notorious wrote: »
    He told us today that we weren't allowed use electronic calculators in the hall!

Hold on for what subject? I'm doing physics. Do you know those scientifical casio calculators, are we allowed to use them? I mean I used the exact same one for my Leaving Cert. and there was no problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Had STAT10020. I hate that module so much, didn't think the lectures were great and hoping I passed it after being dumb and missing a bit o' assessment.

4 down. Programming on Tuesday. I suppose the assignments will contribute to something. Mathematical modeling on Friday. Love that subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Davidius wrote: »
    Had STAT10020. I hate that module so much, didn't think the lectures were great and hoping I passed it after being dumb and missing a bit o' assessment.

4 down. Programming on Tuesday. I suppose the assignments will contribute to something. Mathematical modeling on Friday. Love that subject.

Why does everyone like mathematical modelling, I was going to take it but it sounded so boring to me, is everyone like maths crazy in that subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Why does everyone like mathematical modelling, I was going to take it but it sounded so boring to me, is everyone like maths crazy in that subject?
    People like the idea of applying mathematics. It's remeniscint of Applied Maths during the Leaving Cert. Aside from that the maths isn't exactly mind bending stuff, much easier than Numbers & Functions.

Which reminds me that this year taught me that relying on natural ability is never a great idea in university level mathematics. At least I didn't have to do any essays.

I know that they sometimes don't tell the person during the exam so as not to disrupt other people, I think invigilators are supposed to make notes of things like that and report them.

Really?

That leaves a lot of wriggle room for whoever was cheating. If they're pulled up there and then they have the notes or whatever on them so there's no getting out of it. If they're called in later its only the word of the invigilator vs. theirs and I doubt they can do much just based on "I saw him do it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Really?

That leaves a lot of wriggle room for whoever was cheating. If they're pulled up there and then they have the notes or whatever on them so there's no getting out of it. If they're called in later its only the word of the invigilator vs. theirs and I doubt they can do much just based on "I saw him do it".

I'm not sure how it works in practice but they have actually started announcing it at the end of exams, to make sure people don't write after time has finished etc. I guess regarding cheating during the exam they could just stop the person once the exam is over. Still dealing with it as it happens, just not when it could distract everybody else.

People have been caught this week so maybe somebody that was there when it happened might post later!

Which reminds me that this year taught me that relying on natural ability is never a great idea in university level mathematics. At least I didn't have to do any essays.

Better to learn that in first year... took me until 2nd year for that to hit and if it hits then it's pretty brutal! :pac:

I'm not sure how it works in practice but they have actually started announcing it at the end of exams, to make sure people don't write after time has finished etc. I guess regarding cheating during the exam they could just stop the person once the exam is over. Still dealing with it as it happens, just not when it could distract everybody else.

People have been caught this week so maybe somebody that was there when it happened might post later!

Thats true, it would be distracting to everyone else... maybe a discrete "can you step outsde for a moment, please".

I guess I'll just have to cheat in my next exam to find out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I can't imagine how anyone comes to the decision to cheat in an exam. Mental.

Anyway, 3 down and 1 to go on Wednesday. My first 3 were fine really. I was fairly lucky with what came up.

I have a good bit of time to get myself properly together for Wednesday. I bet I spend the next couple of days on boards, tidying my house etc completely wasting my time until Tuesday night when I panic and get annoyed with myself. Happens every time. Idiot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hold on for what subject? I'm doing physics. Do you know those scientifical casio calculators, are we allowed to use them? I mean I used the exact same one for my Leaving Cert. and there was no problem there.
    That was a mistake, obviously - they usually say "no programmable calcuators"!

Last Friday, I think, I saw a girl carrying a TI-89 Titanium in to an exam, and thought "uh-oh". I have one: it's not merely programmable, it's practically a minicomputer in an oversized calculator case... but it was announced that programmable calculators were permitted for that specific exam (not mine, sadly). "That's a first", according to the invigilator.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

They announced no electronic calculators yesterday lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

4 down. 2 more to go. Just did Databases on Saturday. Didn't do much study for it at all but I tought it was really easy. All the questions I wanted to come up came up. Have discrete Mathematics tommorow. Plan is to do Question 1, Question about syllogisms and question on Induction. Was about to skip induction until I seen that in all the exam papers for Discrete Mathematics the induction questions to be the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

JBUCD wrote: »
    Was about to skip induction until I seen that in all the exam papers for Discrete Mathematics the induction questions to be the exact same.

First rule of exams: Any question that comes up every year will not come up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Second last exam tonight. Need the paper to be kind to me. not cos i dont know the stuff but my previous exams havent gone at all like i would have hoped.

Also hope that the announcer at the exam can be understood this time and not like Saturday night where there would just be a muffled mumble every 20 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Last one tonight(Irish Economy), come on generous paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

maths modelling is awesome!!! :D how can you not like the legendary lecturer??(whats his name again?:P)

4th pharm semester 1 is done for us for now. but eh...i will probably go in lib to do some thesis tomorrow...heh!should be fun to watch everyone is stressing up for exams while i am not :D

seraphimvc wrote: »
    maths modelling is awesome!!! :D how can you not like the legendary lecturer??(whats his name again?:P)
    Is Ted Cox still teaching that course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ha ha I is finished! :D Only had two exams but thought they went well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

People like the idea of applying mathematics. It's remeniscint of Applied Maths during the Leaving Cert. Aside from that the maths isn't exactly mind bending stuff, much easier than Numbers & Functions.

N&F was the bane of my existance this semester!!! Thank God it's over. But the exam was so similar to the previous years past papers and a good few of the questions were the ones he'd done in lectures, so not too horrific at all.

Advertisement