Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing port on its side or upright??

• 09-12-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Should port be stored on its side, so as to keep the cork moist, similar to wine.
    And that makes me question whether wine with screwcaps need to be stored on their side at all?

Would appreciate any advice......
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, I'd go with the side storing for port; and no, I doubt it makes much difference for screw-cap wine. There's an argument that if it's on its side, more wine is exposed to any residual oxygen in the bottle, but I dunno how valid that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

thanks Beernut. It was what I expected, because I had a lot of hassle pulling the cork of a decent bottle of port yesterday, which had been upright - the cork was v dry.

Also, I have 2 bottles of white port - any ideas for accompanying them with anything to make tasty or any cocktails??

I love white port. I'd be thinking crumbly cheese, like Wensleydale.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

That sounds really good. Is that the cheese that you often get with cranberries through it?
    Would you serve the white port chilled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

thanks Beernut. It was what I expected, because I had a lot of hassle pulling the cork of a decent bottle of port yesterday, which had been upright - the cork was v dry.

Also, I have 2 bottles of white port - any ideas for accompanying them with anything to make tasty or any cocktails??

white port goes really well with apple juice (chilled)
    Or white port, applejuice and prosecco .. yum

• Advertisement

Is that the cheese that you often get with cranberries through it?
    That's the one. It's also nice unfruitificated.
    Would you serve the white port chilled?
    Yes. I like it very cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I heard somewhere that port can be quite specific in the way you store it.

I think maybe you should do some more research as apparently different ports should be stored in different ways. I have no idea myself but if you are storing a good port for a long time you may want to make sure.

Also some ports need to be consumed within 48 hours of opening while others will last months ... so worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 galwaywinefan

store it on its side, then put a tipex mark on the down side so u will not turn , then the sediment just falls to one side

Advertisement