Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper Booze!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

GUBU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Excise duty on alcohol reduced - 12 cent cut on beer and cider, 14 cent cut on a measure of spirits, 60 cent cut on a bottle of wine (no change in tobacco)

They really have it in for the Health sector, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the last two trips to asda i made i saw very little difference on wine prices (i generally buy french spanish and italian ) with the weakness in sterling there maybe a 10% diff in what i buy, (so i shopped local ) and saved the petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    On drivetime, they said a bottle costing €25 here costs €15 in the North.

This does not provide an alternative choice!
    Just means those who have already have no choice (Munster) will pay a little less, while those who have the choice will continue to go up North.

I'm sick of reiterating this , but I'll say it once more:
    €750m was lost to contraband cigarettes last year, with the biggest EU hauls of illegal cigarettes and tobacco found at the start of November and Mid November respectively, and 1 in 3 cigarettes smoked in Ireland 2010 will be contraband.

If you want to prevent smuggling, crime and loss of revenue; you decrease the price by €2, from €8.45 down to €6.45.
    Now those contraband cigarettes selling for €4.50 per box are no longer attractive.
    Result:
    0.15 in 4 cigarettes smoked in Ireland 2010 are contraband
    €700million gained in new revenue - by affording an alternative choice to those who are determined to smoke regardless.

Implement that with alcohol and you will see a similar effect.
    We passed the point of diminishing returns with excise duties a long time ago, the threshold now looks like a little dot from up here.

We happen to have the biggest international carrier in the world terrorizing the airline industry with the same business strategy for a numbers of years now.
    All the government are doing is (a) losing their ability to regulate by driving the customers elsewhere and (b) massively stimulating an artificial black market.

The price of the contraband fags will just drop with the regular cigarettes tbh. It's 5 quid for 200 in Lanzarote, less in asia, they can sell at 35/40 quid and still rake it in. Contraband cigarettes would actually be a great little market to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

To put that shocking, pointless 'cut' of 12c per pint into perspective, consider this:

You could drink EIGHT PINTS on a night out, and still not even save one euro. (96c.) Whupdefvckingdoo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Coal prices here are up to 15 euro a bag for 20kgs, and in the north 6 euro a bag for 25 kgs. I will still be going north of the border. People on low income and social welfare will have no other choice than get as much for their money as they can.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

amacachi wrote: »
    It's 5 quid for 200 in Lanzarote
    It is around €21 for carton of 200 on Lanza, which of course you know is a duty-free island

• Registered Users Posts: 4 devotional

i doubt all if any of the reduction will be passed on as suppliers will up their price's because of the increase in petrol and diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just back from tesco here in mayo. 1L Jameson seems to have been reduced from 39e to 31e. Beer though is a laugh, 8 pack of bud been reduced around 75c. Also another sign up saying that the budget reductions will not be taken off special offers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Lothaar wrote: »
    To put that shocking, pointless 'cut' of 12c per pint into perspective, consider this:

You could drink EIGHT PINTS on a night out, and still not even save one euro. (96c.) Whupdefvckingdoo.

Eight pints? Not much of a night out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement