Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Justind wrote: »
    Personally speaking . . . I get to the quays in the city centre in 20-25 minutes on the M4 from Maynooth in the mornings (further 20 mins to Lansdowne rd from the quays). I get to Limerick in just over 2hrs. Belfast in even better time than before. Dublin Airport in less than 30 minutes. Tallaght in even less. Mullingar in no time at all especially compared to before.
    That Dublin Airport thing is disingenuous as it involves paying €12 to enjoy that <30 minutes travelling time, just when the delays on the Drumcondra/Swords road would be worst.

Also, you make no mention of the particularly poor traffic conditions that tend to be found within a km of either side of the two canals as far as say Dolphin's Barn/Cabra. Actually the only place where the traffic would be light in all of that mentioned area is the Grand Canal St./Beggar's Bush area which is usually how one would travel to Landsdowne Rd.

Unfortunately I have no stats, but on the whole most minutes spent driving a vehicle are for local journeys IMO, or at least not intercity.

Apologies for going off topic. I'll say no more about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

That Dublin Airport thing is disingenuous as it involves paying €12 to enjoy that <30 minutes travelling time, just when the delays on the Drumcondra/Swords road would be worst
    Not for me. I go M4 then M50 then M1 and I'm there. Nowhere near €12 as I'm in a car.
    Also, you make no mention of the particularly poor traffic conditions that tend to be found within a km of either side of the two canals as far as say Dolphin's Barn/Cabra. Actually the only place where the traffic would be light in all of that mentioned area is the Grand Canal St./Beggar's Bush area which is usually how one would travel to Landsdowne Rd
    I go down quays, take bridge at Customs Hse/IFSC, down quay, across Pearse St towards Shelbourne Rd then onto Lansdowne Rd. 20 minutes.
    Unfortunately I have no stats, but on the whole most minutes spent driving a vehicle are for local journeys IMO, or at least not intercity
    You're ignoring the improved motorways then. I'm not. I can remember how long these journeys took before.
    Apologies for going off topic. I'll say no more about this.
    Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

I have always been careful with my water usage, and as I frequently travel, the apartment can sit idle for a couple of months a year. I will not mind paying for my own water, and I will stump up for an individual meter if necessary and possible. However, I will not in the least like having to pay for the water usage of my neighbours if the apartment block is treated as a single unit / attached to a single meter. There are many apartments in the building with 4/5 to a 2-bed unit, and those with children and I would guess that their usage is significantly higher than my own. I don't want to have to pay for their water. It's not reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hm, interesting. Like the idea, if it's brought in I may end up buying a barrel to stick under my gutters. That way I won't need to use nice clean water I'm paying for for flushing and the like.

Also, the fact that some people will do this totally makes it a good idea in my eyes. Although carting buckets up to the toilet may piss off my housemates. =/

One solution if you don't want to have to pay for your water is to stick in a rain barrel and buy one of there. Voila, a pretty much unlimited (we do get a lot of rain...) supply of clean water, and all for free. Course, it won't be piped around your house or anything, but think of the money you'll save!

A step backwards in my opinion.
    They should have cut a few hundred of the Quangoes instead of increasing the cost of living. Our every move should be to lower the cost of living and regain competitiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

westtip wrote: »
    If you want to catch water in a bucket and use it free of charge great, if you want a clean reliable public water supply get used to paying for it. Re the infrastructure - yes cities like Dublin, Manchester, London, Leeds, Glasgow have victorian public sewage and water supply infrastructure - guess what it doesn't last forever.

WAKE UP and smell your own farts.

Actually you know what! we are continually paying taxes - so therefore we are constantly supplying our government with the required funds to modernise any degraded infrastructure. So if they manage the money WE give them instead of pissing it away on the banks, we wouldn't need to pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Raphael wrote: »
    Hm, interesting. Like the idea, if it's brought in I may end up buying a barrel to stick under my gutters.

One solution if you don't want to have to pay for your water is to stick in a rain barrel and buy one of there. Voila, a pretty much unlimited (we do get a lot of rain...) supply of clean water, and all for free. Course, it won't be piped around your house or anything, but think of the money you'll save!

You might laugh, but my Mum has been doing this for years! Has a large rainwater barrel with a tap at the bottom under one of the gutters and this water is used for all the garden needs/car washing and whatever else she can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Another tax...simple as. But pretending this hasn't been on the FF shelf for a long time, is deluding yourselves. FF have been dying to get this in.

It's also a delusion to con yourself into believing that a water tax will mean better quality water...it won't.

...And the "carrot" on the end of the stick, the "free units" as it were, won't last. That's just there to ease the stick in. I won't say where the stick is going, but I think you all know.

In addition, this water tax, like the bin taxes before it will only end up getting more expensive as time goes on.[/FONT]

This is a Water Tax...let's call it what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

snowfinch wrote: »
    You might laugh, but my Mum has been doing this for years! Has a large rainwater barrel with a tap at the bottom under one of the gutters and this water is used for all the garden needs/car washing and whatever else she can think of.
    I wouldn't laugh, it's a very environmentally conscious thing to do. I'm just too lazy to do it.

Course, if doing it were to save me money...

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Raphael wrote: »
    Hm, interesting. Like the idea, if it's brought in I may end up buying a barrel to stick under my gutters. That way I won't need to use nice clean water I'm paying for for flushing and the like.

Also, the fact that some people will do this totally makes it a good idea in my eyes. Although carting buckets up to the toilet may piss off my housemates. =/

1m3 of water costs on average €2.25 on a metered basis in this country(that includes the sewage charge the actual volumetric water charge would be about €1 per m3). I think by the time you've lugged 1000 litres of water in buckets up the stairs. you may just decide to throw a euro against the bill instead.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

well I hope they are going to provide a better water system before they start charging us for it, last year the water where I live got contaminated it was black with dirt, you could see the dirt lying on the bottom of the glass this went on for days! its third world water and they expect us to pay for it now! we live in an area where you have to boil the water before drinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

But you would agree that the substantial number of rural dwellers who use their own private water supply should not have to pay any state authority ongoing charges for this, right?

in total agreement, but being f.f. they will find a way to do it,

Advertisement