Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defer Masters halfway through.

Options
  • 09-12-2009 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hoping someone here can help.
    I'm in the first year of a two year Masters with UCD and absolutely love it. I also work fulltime and have been told by work that if I want to keep my job I need to get a certain qualification by next year which is fair enough. I'll have to go abroad next year to get it though so I won't be able to be in Dublin for lectures then.
    Is it possible to defer 2nd year of a Masters? Even just for a year. I don't want to drop out, and I don't want to ask yet in case I don't get the course abroad. don't want to cause hassle and then end up staying here because I don't get the course in the UK. Of course then I'll be unemployed and won't be able to afford the Masters.

ARRGGGHHHH!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

hot chick wrote: »
    Hoping someone here can help.
    I'm in the first year of a two year Masters with UCD and absolutely love it. I also work fulltime and have been told by work that if I want to keep my job I need to get a certain qualification by next year which is fair enough. I'll have to go abroad next year to get it though so I won't be able to be in Dublin for lectures then.
    Is it possible to defer 2nd year of a Masters? Even just for a year. I don't want to drop out, and I don't want to ask yet in case I don't get the course abroad. don't want to cause hassle and then end up staying here because I don't get the course in the UK. Of course then I'll be unemployed and won't be able to afford the Masters.

ARRGGGHHHH!

Is it a research masters or a taught? I'll presume that as you are working full time its a part-time taught masters? If so, I don't think there will be any prob deferring for a year.

I assume you are paying your masters by the year and haven't paid up front. Also I'm 99% sure UCD use the ECTS system for their masters so that each module is worth 5 ECTS and you need 90 or so to graduate...if that is the case then there should be no issue at all with you telling them you are taking the academic year off. You're paying them remember!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

Hi Roro4brit,

It is taught and I pay by the year so hopefully there won't be a problem. I'd rather get it finished but life has a habit of getting in the way. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In my experience (not at UCD though) there's no problem whatsoever deferring halfway through and coming back to it at a later date. Just keep everyone informed so they know you haven't dropped out completely!

Advertisement