Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

income tax,

Options
  • 09-12-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

i was told that income tax was increased to 30%, didnt see it anywhere and cant seem to find any info on it,

was the lower income tax increased to 30%, from what i can tell it wasnt touched,

sorry if this has been discussed,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is false. What was changed was the level of relief that very high earners can avail of. So more tax paid by very high earners but no change in income tax for ordinary people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

INCOME TAX

Restriction of Reliefs or Horizontal Measure
    The restriction of reliefs measure is being amended for 2010 and subsequent tax years in order to achieve an effective rate of income tax of 30% for those subject to the full restriction. The entry level threshold for the restriction will now occur at adjusted income levels of €125,000 and the full restriction will apply at €400,000.

this is what i found on the budget site, but i cant make it out

nesf wrote: »
    This is false. What was changed was the level of relief that very high earners can avail of. So more tax paid by very high earners but no change in income tax for ordinary people.
    cheers, i was getting paranoid there, i knew it wasnt there, well for me anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

nesf wrote: »
    Which should come as a huge relief to the public sector employees.

Rb wrote: »
    Which should come as a huge relief to the public sector employees.
    not the ones on over E125k a year, thats another E4k year there down,
    they can afford it, so i cant really feel sympathy for them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

don ramo wrote: »
    they can afford it, so i cant really feel sympathy for them,
    Would you be happy to give away over 45% of your income?
    Why not???? You can afford it!

zielarz wrote: »
    Would you be happy to give away over 45% of your income?
    Why not???? You can afford it!
    i know it might be stupid to say, but if i were offered a job paying E125k a year, with a 50% income tax on it, id bit your hand off for it,

in fact i can say with great certainty there would a 2 mile line of applicants for such a job,

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Just because 50% from 125k is more than you're currently on doesn't mean that it's justified to charge 50% income tax.

I'm sure they are 125k jobs but you're probably not qualified for it, that's why you're not standing in the queue.

zielarz wrote: »
    Just because 50% from 125k is more than you're currently on doesn't mean that it's justified to charge 50% income tax.

I'm sure they are 125k jobs but you're probably not qualified for it, that's why you're not standing in the queue.

ya but even if i was quialified i probably wouldnt be related to the right people, or i wouldnt look right in there company, there are loads of people out there probably better suited to a lot of jobs in any sector, its just they need the deadwood to clear the place,

id say the public sector has a lot of deadwood, simply for the fact that once your in your in, think if you entered the public sector at 19 back in 1978, your now only 50, and you have another 16 years to go, but yet your useless at your job in this day and age, you probably were good at it 30 years ago, but times have changed and you havent, time to move on, its ridiculus that there are people better qualifeid to do the job, but there are idiots who do a very bad job in there way, who just arent being moved on,

i know some public sector work is contracted, but there only contractors there not public sector workers, they just happen to work for the public sector, contractors are contractors, no matter what sector you are in,

Advertisement