Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

safari question

• 09-12-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hoping for a little advice. I'm heading on safari shortly and am brining my canon 450d and tamron 18-270m lens. Have a spare battery, lens hood, wireless remote and will be adding another memory card but wondering if those of you who have been on safari would recommend any piece of kit that I should add to the list (or specifically santa's list!) - I'm not looking to get a new faster/longer lens or something crazy expensive. All thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I would add a tripod or monopod to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

One of those rocket blower thingamajigs - to blow dust off your sensor - Africa is a dusty place. You can get em in Gunn's on Wexford St. Another thing I'd think of bringing is one of those plastic rain sleeves - not sure what they're called, basically like a condom for your camera except there's a hole for your lens and a hole for your eye. Maybe a few lens tissues wouldn't go amiss since you'll inevitably have sunscreen on your hands. There are other things you can get (not sure what but Google is your friend) which allow you to download your images to an iPod for safety. Might be expensive though. Although I personally wouldn't be bringing more expensive pieces of kit (i.e.iPod) than I needed.

Where are you traveling to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

One of the guys here, Arciphel, took some great shots on safari last year, you could ask him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

From talking to a few people who have been on Safari they tended to do a fair bit of shooting from inside vehicles. Rather than using Tripods or Monopods the "Bean Bag" was more useful.

You can make one yourself. Sew together two squares of fairly tough material, about 10", with zip or press studs on the fourth side. When you get there put a plastic bag inside filled with rice. Adjust the amount of rice to give a firm platform to rest the camera on when placed on the open window.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭dnjoyce

thanks guys, blower and bean bag duly added to the list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

dnjoyce I was on safari last year and I used a 200mm for most of my shots , would'nt bother with bean bags, tripods or any of that...you will most likely be in a vehicle with tourist, the drivers usually get up very close to the animals, your tamron 18-270mm is perfect focal lenght...you will see loads of guys with 500mm lens total over kill, If I was to bring kit like that I would'nt be in a jeep with a load off tourists...heres some of ths shots I took.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

heffsarmy wrote: »
    dnjoyce I was on safari last year and I used a 200mm for most of my shots , would'nt bother with bean bags, tripods or any of that...you will most likely be in a vehicle with tourist, the drivers usually get up very close to the animals, your tamron 18-270mm is perfect focal lenght...you will see loads of guys with 500mm lens total over kill, If I was to bring kit like that I would'nt be in a jeep with a load off tourists...heres some of ths shots I took.

Love the leopard shot - Mmmm tasty tourists:D

Advertisement