Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invilidity pension and carers allowance

Options
  • 09-12-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

has there been any changes to either the carers allowance or invilidity pension???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NatureGirl

Yes, the Invalidity Pension for someone under 65 is reduced from €209.80 to €201.50. A reduction of €8.30.

If you are 65+ your payment will stay the same at €230.30.

Carer's Benefit has been reduced from €221.20 to €213.00, a reduction of €8.20.

Carer's Allowance has been reduced:
    Under 66 - Down €8.50 to €212.00.
    65+ - Stays the same.

Sorry :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭k8bcly

tanx hun!!
    i hate the government!!! :mad:

What is even worse (and scary) is that there are loads of people who think you can eat, and run a house and car on €200 a week. And be permanently sick. Easily.

I'd like to see them try :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

I thought they announced a couple days ago that both these areas would be exempt from cuts?

Well if they did announce that - they were lying.

To see the full Social Welfare cuts click here

This is a Gov Doc - so it's official.

I heard them say they wouldn't touch pensions - and all benefits for 65 and over are the same - so they did stick to that.

• Advertisement

and we wont even start on the genius who decided 2 charge for medical card prescriptions:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

Thanks for the link. Seems to be as clearcut a case of hitting the vulnerable as you can possibly get.

as the saying goes

"the poor get poorer and the rich get richer"

What makes me so sad is that so many people think this is OK, and that it needed to be done. That €200 all in a week was way too much.

Sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The cut to the carers allowance is an abhorrance, these people are doing a super job caring for those less fortunate than ourselves.
    Further they are doing the state job, if these people needed full time nursing care in an institution it would cost a hell of a lot more than the miserly carers allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

RGS wrote: »
    The cut to the carers allowance is an abhorrance, these people are doing a super job caring for those less fortunate than ourselves.
    Further they are doing the state job, if these people needed full time nursing care in an institution it would cost a hell of a lot more than the miserly carers allowance.

This is why I'm angry at the general public acceptance of this budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

While I feel very sorry for those who are unemployed at the moment I don't think it's fair that the government has chosen to address cuts in welfare benefits to carers and the disabled in the same way as they have tackled cuts to Job Seekers Allowance

The government and the general public clearly seem happy to ignore the fact that people with a disability or a serious illness face a "cost of disability" that those on Job Seekers Allowence do not. Alot of people with a physical disability or illness are unable to perform normal menial tasks around their own homes and have to pay someone to do these for them. Anyone with an illness that effects their mobility or strength has to pay someone to do hoover and cut their grass for example. Lots of people cannot drive due to their incapacity and have to take taxis to get to doctors appointments because taking the bus would mean they'd have to far to walk to a bus stop. Those expenses are the financial reality of living with a serious illness or disability. I cannot see how the government can lump the needs of this sector in with those of people who are completely able bodied.

Cutting carers allowence also makes my blood boil. I think it's been forgotten too that with the abolition of the Christmas bonus along with todays cuts constitute an over all cut of 9.5% in the overall yearly welfare payments of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

NatureGirl wrote: »
    What makes me so sad is that so many people think this is OK, and that it needed to be done. That €200 all in a week was way too much.

Sigh :(

To me is simple

if you can work, make it so, make everyone that can work, do something, a course, help a charity, attend a job club any thing from the hours of 9 to 5, until they find a job.
    this to include single perents, no excuses.

Disable that may be able to work, help them even if they can only do a few hours, many want to work.

Those that really can't work, paid them more, why should you have to count your pennies your whole life because you are unlucky enough to not be able to work.

the Government employs 1000's how many are disabled, how many jobs are open to the long-term unemployed, shouldn't the government set an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 glenda.27

to be honest, i was fairly annoyed with this as well. i receive carer's allowance. I have two children with autism. i don't have any other income- at all. they actually do require full time help, so i genuinely cannot. plus I have a baby as well. i think if anyone in the government had a close relative with a disability, or had ever been in the position to receive carer's allowance this would never have happened.

You don't choose for your child to have a disability.

The extra expenses are unreal, and yes, you do receive domiciliary, but you don't actually see any of that. It goes towards equipment, services, etc... that your child needs (if you use it the way you are supposed to- for your children).

I was shocked that they "saved" the pensioners, but they grouped carer's, and those with a long term disability, into the cuts. The cost of much of the euqipment for persons with a disability has actually increased.

I'm also not thrilled about the changes in rent allowance, my rent has not changed AT ALL in the last two years, and they keep dropping the rent allowance saying, oh the cost of renting is going down.... I'd like to know who the cost of renting is going down for. Because it feels to me as tho its only going down for the government, because we are paying more of it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bridan90

I wonder if anyone can help me because I am a bit confused about my application for invalidity benefit.

I was called for a medical assessment in December 2009. At the time I was receiving illness benefit and been for the last six years. Just before my medical I applied for invalidity. I called to tell them that I had been sent an appointment for a medical review and was told that I should inform the doctor that I had applied for the invalidity benefit as he would examine me then for both benefits, which he did.

The outcome of the review was that I had my illness benefit disallowed but on the form the doctor also stated that my claim for invalidity benefit should also be disallowed. I am at the moment in the process of appealing this decision and my appeal was sent off to the social welfare appeals office on the 12th Jan 2010.

Today I received a form from the Invalidity Benefit office in Longford wanting to know the details of my contributions and any I have from the UK.

My original claim for illness benefit was granted on my British contributions. What I cannot understand is why the Invalidity Benefits Office would need that information again since the Illness Benefit Office must already have it? Surely there is communication between the two departments and if my medical covered me for both benefits then why not my contributions?

Furthermore having had my illness benefit stopped surely that would also put a stop to my claim for invalidity benefit. I called the office but the lady I spoke to said that they were two different departments, that I should send them the info they requested and continue with my appeal.

I am totally confused. :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement