Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiche blian ag fas!!

Options
  • 09-12-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

:(
    could any1 tell me in english what happans in fiche blian ag fas?!?

missing a week of school and trying to catch up!!
    please help!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Now I'm in pass, its a bit of a joke and we did this ages ago but iirc:

2 lads get some money (think its inheritence?), go drinking and smoking, realise they don't like drinking and smoking, Throw up & go chipper.

For the love of god in heaven don't go by that description. Someone in honours will know better, just wait for another reply.

I'm in pass, but we just revised this so:

2 lads (Muiris- the main character and author and his mate Tómas) from the Blaskett Islands get money from their fathers to go to the races on the mainland. Tómas has the bright idea of going to the pub, so they go and get pints. They don't really like the taste of them but they down it anyway. They drink like 2, then Muiris goes outside to get sick. When he comes back in Tómas is smoking a pipe and starting fights with the bar lady. He persuades Tómas to get sick too, then they go buy sweets to get rid of the taste and head to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fiche Bliain ag Fás is basically your classic coming-of-age story ... think David Copperfield / Huckleberry Finn / Catcher in the Rye.

This one though is autobiographical and recounts the author's (Muiris Ó Súilleabháin) experiences of growing up in the Blasket Islands and of the life and the community he experienced there before the island population dwindled to the point where the remnant were migrated to the mainland and island deserted ... just as Peig looks back on those years from an old woman's perspective and from a greater distance in time.

It gives a picture of a strong self-reliant close community, but one totally isolated from the rest of the world, with major events like WW I just a blip on the horizon. At that time, Dingle / Ventry / West Kerry would have been remote enough on the western edge of Europe, but the islands were remote even from the peninsula, both physically and especially mentally.

But that also served to keep alive old traditions and stories and songs, as well as the Irish language itself, of course, and that was much of the attraction of the islands for the scholars who visited and who tempted the locals to record their memories ... which is why we have such a body of surviving Blasket literature ( Blasket islands )

Much of what people generally enjoy about Fiche Bliain ag Fás is the detail on everyday life in that surviving traditional enclave, and the humour and the general lightness of touch and language (especially compared to Peig which tends to have much weeping and wailing!). As stories go, it's not exactly the most complex one, if you could really say there's a story or a plot at all ... it's more an autobiography of his first 20(?) years, with a few memories which stick out in his head painted in more vivid detail, such as the outing to Ventry, which although only 7 or 8 miles away, would have been a major event in his young life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boys

:(
    could any1 tell me in english what happans in fiche blian ag fas?!?

missing a week of school and trying to catch up!!
    please help!!!!!!

i resently dd it its about 2 boys tat get money nd are daring enough 2 go 2 the local pub nd drink one of them cant handle it and goes outside and vomits, the other one is inside tellin everyone that he is brill....... he trows up then and they go to the beach.......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

boys wrote: »
    i resently dd it its about 2 boys tat get money nd are daring enough 2 go 2 the local pub nd drink one of them cant handle it and goes outside and vomits, the other one is inside tellin everyone that he is brill....... he trows up then and they go to the beach.......
    Hi, boys, welcome to Boards!

Please note that txtspit is not welcome around here! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement