Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish suitable for small tank?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I picked up a fishtank yesterday which I was going to give to my hamster for the winter to keep her warm, but after taking it out the box I decided it was far too small for her, especially since she wouldn't be able to have the levels, wheel etc in there with her. So after a talk with the bf we decided we might get a fish or two and use the tank for its original purpose, so:

What kind of fish suit living in a smaller (15 litre) tank? I know goldfish wouldn't be suitable because I think they require larger tanks, but I'm sure someone once told me that Siamese fighting fish were suitable for small tanks?

If so, would a Siamese fighting fish not get lonely being by itself, and if so, what else could I put in there (if anything)?

If not, what other type of fish is suitable for smaller tanks?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Are you going to heat the tank??? Siamese Fighting Fish are tropical fish and won't survive long in cold water, the males are extremely terriorial with their own kind so there should only be one per tank but they are generally good with other communial fish. Heating the water will give you more choice in fish, guppies, tetras, platys and mollys are all good, hardy, colourful tropical fish for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

lrushe wrote: »
    Are you going to heat the tank??? Siamese Fighting Fish are tropical fish and won't survive long in cold water, the males are extremely terriorial with their own kind so there should only be one per tank but they are generally good with other communial fish. Heating the water will give you more choice in fish, guppies, tetras, platys and mollys are all good, hardy, colourful tropical fish for beginners.

If we were to get a tropical fish we would of course get a heater for it :)
    I'm jsut wondering mos tof all which fish would be happy enough to live in a small tank, last thing I want to do is get fish that would be unsuitable for the tank size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

Get a load of golden minnows. No need to heat water and pretty hardy. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You could get a few tetras. But not many for 15l!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 northsidedave

if your having a coldwater you could get a few white clouds,theresmall hardy fish and cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Get a betta (fighting fish). You don't need any other fish if you get one of them :)

Advertisement