Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Allowance

Options
  • 09-12-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I got this from the budget summary online(gov.ie) and am confused:
    Quote:
    .New maximum personal rates of Jobseeker’s Allowance and basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance will be introduced for new applicants aged 20 to 24 inclusive. The new rate will be €100 per week for new applicants aged 20 to 21 and €150 per week for new applicants aged 22 to 24. The Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week. These rate reductions will not apply to claimants with dependant children.
    I didn't hear this in the news.
    I was under the impression that 22-25 year olds would be retaining 196 euro if already receiving JS allowance.(and that this would be cut to 150 for new applicants.

Does anybody understand what this 130.10 per week is about? As I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

On the news it seems to be saying that all between 22-25 are down to 150 per week.
    Earlier on they were only saying that it was only new applicants.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Does anybody know if the official website is wrong,or has this being mentioned already and I just missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I'm just wondering the same thing, very unclear.

My understanding was that dole would now be

100 or thereabouts for those under 21

150 or thereabouts for those over 21

Is it not as simple as that? I didn't know that it may be only for new applicants. Never even heard about 130

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

what a joke typical of this poorly run country make the poor even poorer...

im 21 was working from 17 to 19 and went to college for a 2 year course done brialliant only for the cao to mess my aplication up leaving me to wait till next year to get back to college. signing on jobseekers allowence have 2 lones on my back of 100euro per week each week as well as rent and food i was barely getting by and now im being cut to 100 or 150 euro which ever one im not sure on how it works, i wont be able to survive.

growing up in ireland is a joke and its a terrible country to live in, these people who make these decsions will never know what its like they take there pay cuts out of the already huge wages they get and assume they are riding the same boat as 80 per cent of this country.

well id like to see brian cowell lose his job and survive on 30 euro a week and see how the shoe fits. Our minister for health is a fat obese pig that says it all about this country!! a circus.

what we need to do is protest protest protest everyone who is not happy protest this is our country we have as much say as the stuck up snobs running this country.

im pretty close to forgetting my loans packing my bags and get hell out of here for good. let the government bail me out of my loans like it did the banks!

I should also mention that I am dealing with second hand information here - didn't actually get to watch the budget as I was out all day holed up in college.

brian cowell

Simon's brother? :confused:

I know what you mean though. I find it very hard to explain the system of welfare to my younger brothers and sisters. They can't understand how it can seem more beneficial to sit on dole than work. It's an awful system to grow up in, these 'lazy' Irish who stay on the dole and apparently have no work ethic are a very successful by-product of our government, shower of lazy fcukers who have known the system was being screwed for years but were too busy lining their own pockets to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

"Jobseekers allowance" ie go out and get a job.

westtip wrote: »

Helpful :rolleyes:

westtip wrote: »

do you know where all the jobs are westtip? id love to know being searching since august and cant find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

what a joke typical of this poorly run country make the poor even poorer...

im 21 was working from 17 to 19 and went to college for a 2 year course done brialliant only for the cao to mess my aplication up leaving me to wait till next year to get back to college. signing on jobseekers allowence have 2 lones on my back of 100euro per week each week as well as rent and food i was barely getting by and now im being cut to 100 or 150 euro which ever one im not sure on how it works, i wont be able to survive.

growing up in ireland is a joke and its a terrible country to live in, these people who make these decsions will never know what its like they take there pay cuts out of the already huge wages they get and assume they are riding the same boat as 80 per cent of this country.

well id like to see brian cowell lose his job and survive on 30 euro a week and see how the shoe fits. Our minister for health is a fat obese pig that says it all about this country!! a circus.

what we need to do is protest protest protest everyone who is not happy protest this is our country we have as much say as the stuck up snobs running this country.

im pretty close to forgetting my loans packing my bags and get hell out of here for good. let the government bail me out of my loans like it did the banks!
    Don't mind me asking but what were the loans for? I'm working full time and couldn't afford to pay €200 a week repaying loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

May I ask where ? There are very few jobs out there. If your living in the city you might have a chance. Living rural forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

peanuthead wrote: »
    Simon's brother? :confused:

I know what you mean though. I find it very hard to explain the system of welfare to my younger brothers and sisters. They can't understand how it can seem more beneficial to sit on dole than work. It's an awful system to grow up in, these 'lazy' Irish who stay on the dole and apparently have no work ethic are a very successful by-product of our government, shower of lazy fcukers who have known the system was being screwed for years but were too busy lining their own pockets to do anything about it.

So, its the governments fault that 'lazy' people choose to live on the dole, yet you criticise the government when they try to do somehing about it ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Does anybody understand what this 130.10 per week is about?

My understanding of it is: that it refers to the qualified adult rate, meaning claiming for yourself and another adult. Depending on the age category of the other adult you are claiming for if they are below 25 years but at least 22 years you will receive a payment of €130 for that adult. If they are aged 20 or 21 the payment you receive for that adult will be €100.

Read it here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=973481

Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week. These rate reductions will not apply to claimants with dependant children.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I don't think it's sunk in yet how insane this decision is. It's ageism too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Shifty wrote: »
    Does anybody understand what this 130.10 per week is about?

My understanding of it is: that it refers to the qualified adult rate, meaning claiming for yourself and another adult. Depending on the age category of the other adult you are claiming for if they are below 25 years but at least 22 years you will receive a payment of €130 for that adult. If they are aged 20 or 21 the payment you receive for that adult will be €100.

Read it here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=973481

Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week. These rate reductions will not apply to claimants with dependant children.

Hope that helps

So this would only be for if I was claiming for another adult?
    Thanks a million Shifty. Think I understand it now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Olduvai

I wonder does Lenihan also plan to introduce that those aged under 24 will no longer have to pay the full social insurance contribution while in employment also?

Why pay the same social insurance rate as colleages aged 24+ years if you dont have the same level of social security entitlement!

Maybe, youth groups and the INOU should see through judical review how these kind of policy measures stand up in law!

Someone asks a question about JSA, and 80% of the posts are banging on about getting jobs. For fcuk sake.

Anyway, I was actually going to post the same question myself, and its still not clear to me.

Can anyone tell me what the situation would be where you would be claiming for another adult? I don't get your theory, Shifty.

I flicked through the "As it happens" budget thread and a bucket load of posts on there were asking the same questions, because websites are giving different answers. Some are saying it's new claimants only, others are saying everyone... It's very, very difficult to understand what is going on. I'm 21 and my weekly outgoings are more than €100, so I really need to know what's going to happen to me in January.

You'd think they'd have specifically addressed this issue and cleared it up, as it's obviously very confusing and poorly explained.

So this would only be for if I was claiming for another adult?
    Thanks a million Shifty. Think I understand it now.:)

No problem at all, thats my understanding of the text, hope my reading of the information is right.

Wheety wrote: »
    Don't mind me asking but what were the loans for? I'm working full time and couldn't afford to pay €200 a week repaying loans.

no iv got two loans pay each one forthnightly, 100 euro one week another 100 euro the following week. the loans were for college fee's and accomidation and the other loan was for an accident i was in.

so in all my income was 204 euro deductions were as follows:
    100 euro loan
    40 euro rent
    20/30 euro food
    10 euro petrol
    about 20 to 30 euro to myself every week

i live in a rural area im going to sell my car raise some funds maybe just get a moped because its 2.50 a go for a 10 minute journey on the bus and i play football in the city so i train 4 nights a week so that would cost me 20 euro in and out while a taxi is 20 euro a go both are over priced typical again!.

crime rates are going to rise, people are going to be afraid to leave there big cars or houses alone and because of this you can blame the government.

so the government has finacially crippled me and many others and call me what you wish scum,childish or imature but i hope all the people who made these decsions lose there jobs,homes and cars and have to end up signing on and i would promise you they would be singing a differnt tune then!!.

Can anyone tell me what the situation would be where you would be claiming for another adult? I don't get your theory, Shifty.

Not sure if this answers your question re claiming for another adult: it would be in the case of cohabiting/married etc

Its not my theory, the information I quoted was from reading the text on askaboutmoney.com, I didn't write the thread.

All i said was that it was my understanding of what I read on: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=973481 .

So, its the governments fault that 'lazy' people choose to live on the dole, yet you criticise the government when they try to do somehing about it ? ?

Not at all. I think its a great idea the dole has been cut

I know its better late than never, but its being cut now for those who deserve the full amount that has been given to wasters all this time

Wasters that were born out of a lazy government.

I am not criticising the government because they are trying to do something about it, I'm criticising them for their timing, and I have every right to do so.

I fail to see the point in me working the last 10 years and putting money into a social welfare system that has NOTHING TO GIVE ME BACK now that I need it.

I would say it's laughable, but the reality of it is that it's FCUKING DEPRESSING.

I'm lucky, I have a job. I can pay my bills. I'm ina small bit of debt but I will manage it. But there are so many innocent casualties in this whole thing and I will never forget this.
    I will never forget how this country treated me when I'm a professional, earning good money. I'll take it with me somewhere else and I won't raise my children to pay tax in this country. No way. Haha!! We think we're better off in democracy? LO (FCUKING) L

I know I might sound like I'm going mad, but I just find this all very hard to accept. I have very very strong morals and I am verging on not even being proud to be Irish anymore.

I will always love the Irish public, but my God have we a bunch of idiots looking after us!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm 23 and coming out of college with an architectural technicians degree.

That won't get a job, and a basic job will be impossible to get.

Odds are I'll be on this 150 a week, that won't pay electricity, food, and rent, won't this create a whole generation unable to get work, travel to work or live near work?

Great, time to get back to studying for this degree, for all the good it will do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

I'm also confused. I watched it live on TV3 and it said NEWCOMERS under 21 would be lowered to 100 quid a week and under 23 newcomers would be lowered to 150 a week. Now, I have looked on other websites and some are saying this, but others are saying its for everyone! WTF! Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

Its a disgrace how they have cut the young peoples dole lik this. My brother is living in the suburbs of the city with me. He is currently looking for a job but also on job seekers he is now afraid that he cant afford to stay up around the city lookin for a job and as a result he has to move back home to rural cork where there is zero employment...its a joke hit the small man and i think they forget that young people are the future and they wont easily forget this.

as for the the query about does it affect all people or just new claimants i think it affects all people they just worded it differently to confuse people so there wont be to much uproar as people wont find out all together straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

podsieboy wrote: »
    Its a disgrace how they have cut the young peoples dole lik this. My brother is living in the suburbs of the city with me. He is currently looking for a job but also on job seekers he is now afraid that he cant afford to stay up around the city lookin for a job and as a result he has to move back home to rural cork where there is zero employment...its a joke hit the small man and i think they forget that young people are the future and they wont easily forget this.

as for the the query about does it affect all people or just new claimants i think it affects all people they just worded it differently to confuse people so there wont be to much uproar as people wont find out all together straight away.

Probably correct. And yes, it is insane and your brother is probably screwed. I can't stand people saying this was a great budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

I am on the official budget website and it clearly says ''Reduced rates apply to new claimants from 30 December 2009''. Maybe current people wont be affected afterall??

Here's the link to it. Its on page 22.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/Documents/Annexes%20to%20the%20Summary%20of%20Budget%20Measures%20Final.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

is any one a nephew of brian linehan or works in the finance department that could ask him to clarify this for us??

Sandvich wrote: »
    Probably correct. And yes, it is insane and your brother is probably screwed. I can't stand people saying this was a great budget.

the people who were saying it was a great budget are the people its not affecting so therefore they should keep there comments to themselves because they do not know what it feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

peanuthead wrote: »
    Not at all. I think its a great idea the dole has been cut

I know its better late than never, but its being cut now for those who deserve the full amount that has been given to wasters all this time

Wasters that were born out of a lazy government.

I am not criticising the government because they are trying to do something about it, I'm criticising them for their timing, and I have every right to do so.

I fail to see the point in me working the last 10 years and putting money into a social welfare system that has NOTHING TO GIVE ME BACK now that I need it.

I would say it's laughable, but the reality of it is that it's FCUKING DEPRESSING.

I'm lucky, I have a job. I can pay my bills. I'm ina small bit of debt but I will manage it. But there are so many innocent casualties in this whole thing and I will never forget this.
    I will never forget how this country treated me when I'm a professional, earning good money. I'll take it with me somewhere else and I won't raise my children to pay tax in this country. No way. Haha!! We think we're better off in democracy? LO (FCUKING) L

I know I might sound like I'm going mad, but I just find this all very hard to accept. I have very very strong morals and I am verging on not even being proud to be Irish anymore.

I will always love the Irish public, but my God have we a bunch of idiots looking after us!!

Not sure I understand where your anger is coming from so . . it seems like the government have done exactly what you wanted . . but yet, you talk about how "this country treated you" . . how have you been mistreated ? and why is it the governments fault . . your posts seem to be just an untargetted rant ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sec1307

i recieve half rate jobseekers on my stamps. i qualify untill feb. i also recieve lone parent allowance. will my jobseekers be cut a precentage or will it be cut completely??:confused: i didnt hear anything about half rate second payments mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Advertisement