Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

My understanding of it is this:

All new applicants under the age of 24 will be subject to the new rates.

All existing persons on the dole will have the rate cut by the 4.1%

but i'm not 100% can anyone clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Incentivised scheme for new Jobseekers Allowance claimants aged 18-24
    The dual rate of payment for 18 and 19 year olds which was introduced in April 2009, is being extended on the same basis to 20 and 21 year olds. Under the incentivised scheme those participating in a recognised education or training course will be eligible for the full rate of Jobseekers Allowance/Supplementary Welfare Allowance - €196 per week - otherwise they will only qualify for the reduced rate of €100. The rate for new Jobseekers Allowance claimants aged 22-24 inclusive will be €150 per week from January, unless they participate in education or training. this measure will only apply to new claimants. It will not affect those who have enough PRSI contributions to qualify for Jobseekers Benefit. It will also include the same exceptions as applied to 20-21, such as payment of the full rate for young people with dependent children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bryanjf wrote: »

Sounds right to me.
    So. my friend who took a Christmas contract will be penalised for wanting to work. They should have stayed on the dole. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭podsieboy

this measure will only apply to new claimants. It will not affect those who have enough PRSI contributions to qualify for Jobseekers Benefit.

What if you're already on Allowance?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

I think the worst part of the cuts in the social welfare is that your dole is reduced to 150euro if you refuse a job.... does that mean you have to take any job they offer regardless of your qualifications and expierience... Cowen will probably invent a job just to offer to people so as to reduce their payments...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Not sure I understand where your anger is coming from so . . it seems like the government have done exactly what you wanted . . but yet, you talk about how "this country treated you" . . how have you been mistreated ? and why is it the governments fault . . your posts seem to be just an untargetted rant ? ?

My post is an untargetted rant in the sense that it is not targetted at anyone here, but without sounding rude I don't really know how I can be any clearer. It is very much targetted at the government.

The government have done all they can do in this situation. They have not done exactly as I wanted, if they had done that they wouldn't be corrupt in the first place (I know its wishful thinking but I still think it.)

Yes, I talk about how this country has treated me.

If you were saving money each month in the credit union and then went down on a 'rainy day' to take it out, only to be told:
    "Well, we actually loaned your money out to some guy and he can't afford to pay the loan back, so I'm afraid your money is gone, you have no savings. Sorry"

Would you accept that?

That is what this country has done to the tax payers of Ireland and while I understand that I have to take cuts in order for the country to get back on its feet I will not be happy about it, I will not get on with it, and I will no longer have any loyalties to Ireland or Irish business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Yes,thats about it.
    However..
    You will receive the full jobseekers payment if you further your education or training at any of the age guidelines set in todays budget.

In a nutshell:Go to college/state training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rackellx

I have no idea about this...someone please tell me, does it only apply to people newly signing on, or to everyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Applies only to people newly signing on, if yopur already on it ur grand thank god

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    I think the worst part of the cuts in the social welfare is that your dole is reduced to 150euro if you refuse a job.... does that mean you have to take any job they offer regardless of your qualifications and expierience

Works in Norway. You have an amount of time to receive assistance. If you get offered a job, you either take it and go off register or refuse it and sign-up for further education to seek employment in a different field, while on a lower benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I don't understand this:
    This measure will only apply to new claimants. It will not affect those who have enough PRSI contributions to qualify for Jobseekers Benefit.

Surely anyone with enough PRSI to qualify for JSB would already be on JSB? Is there some gap in logic between those two statements which means, only people already signing with enough contributions are exempt from the new rates (thereby implying the rest of us already on JSA get the new rates?)

Has anyone got anything that specifically says the new rates will not apply to people already on JSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Justind wrote: »
    Works in Norway. You have an amount of time to receive assistance. If you get offered a job, you either take it and go off register or refuse it and sign-up for further education to seek employment in a different field, while on a lower benefit.

Fair enough if a time limit is set before you fall under this rule... otherwise there could be 'the worst job in the world' which could in theory be offered to everybody knowing that nobody will accept... far fetched I know.... but if a limit of six months or a year was put on it then yes I suppose it would get hit anybody who decided to try and stay on the dole..... point taken... thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Bruce2008 wrote: »
    Fair enough if a time limit is set before you fall under this rule... otherwise there could be 'the worst job in the world' which could in theory be offered to everybody knowing that nobody will accept... far fetched I know.... but if a limit of six months or a year was put on it then yes I suppose it would get hit anybody who decided to try and stay on the dole..... point taken... thanks...

i guess its kinda breaking the mould,we might had sniggered and begruged some of our e.u friends taking up jobs that we woundnt had been to proud of to do so we could be going back to the old days when you where served in a takeaway/shop by an irish person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jcrobod

I thought students in education were not eligible for Job Seekers Allowance, in that they were not available for work.Sure that's why I'm broke, paying for my students. Do you mean to tell me that my over 20's children could be getting this instead of me working like a slave to supporrt them? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

jcrobod wrote: »
    I thought students in education were not eligible for Job Seekers Allowance, in that they were not available for work.Sure that's why I'm broke, paying for my students. Do you mean to tell me that my over 20's children could be getting this instead of me working like a slave to supporrt them? I don't think so.

Students in education are not entitled to JSA but they are entitled to BTEA.

Advertisement