Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 build & freezing issues.

Options
  • 09-12-2009 8:44pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    built an i7 gaming pc about a week ago, and was having major problems with loading w7 ultimate. Got it to load in safe mode evntually. But then the pc freezes anytime from 1 sec to 1 min into windows being usable.

Found out this prob was wide spread on numerous forums.

have tried a lot of things over the last few days to no avail -updating every driver, bios, power settings etc etc
    it would run in safe mode no problems.

so tried it in normal mode with 1 * 2gb stick of ram today. and have had no freezes at all now for 3 hours :D:D
    I looked at the corsair web site and it does not list my memory - 100% sure I checked it before.
    This is the mb - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=503618
    memory currently installed - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166463 which is 1333mhz
    and the corsair lists it as- TW3X4G1333C9 PC3-10666 4GB Kit 9-9-9-24 240pin DIMM

but when I goto the gigabyte site - and use thier utility to see what memory and mb is compatible with - my memory is not listed.

these are compatible with my gigabyte p55-Ud3r mb.
    CMG4GX3M2A2000C8 DDR3-2000 (DominatorGT-16000C8*XMP) 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 8-8-8-24-2T 1.65
    CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-12800C9*XMP) 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 9-9-9-24-2T 1.65
    CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-12800C8*XMP) 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 8-8-8-24-2T 1.65

so - question is - i now know it works with 1* 2gb but why not 4gb.
    whats the difference between the memory I have and the ones above,
    why was the 4gb ok in xp, and can I change settings for this ram for it to be ok ? or change it.
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Do the timings for that RAM match what your machine sets them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

As above poster said check speed/timings/volts of ram and set them to rated as per your ram specs.
    Are you using the two white dimm slots with the ram so they run in dual channel? Check mobo manual but i think its the white not blue dimms for 4gb you need to use.
    If this does not help i suggest you try testing the ram with Memtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

game4it70 wrote: »
    As above poster said check speed/timings/volts of ram and set them to rated as per your ram specs.
    Are you using the two white dimm slots with the ram so they run in dual channel? Check mobo manual but i think its the white not blue dimms for 4gb you need to use.
    If this does not help i suggest you try testing the ram with Memtest.

My i7 build from a few weeks ago became very unstable after a few days..Ran memtest and found the stick in the first DDR3 slot was faulty....I have since been RMA's a new kit and so far the system is stable again :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,

could not get memtest running from a usb key - anyhoos.

Took stick 1 out - which lets the pc boot and run fine.

Put in stick 2 - and the pc hangs on boot-up. Three times.
    So will rma this today.

thanks

k

Advertisement