Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job in Dun Laoghaire - Thinking about moving to the area..

Options
  • 09-12-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads & Lassies,

I'm starting my first job since finishing college, got offered a job in Dun Laoghaire and accepted it.

As a commute it would be 50 miles each way for me, from Slane, up the N2, onto the M50, down to the Leopardstown turn off and into Corrig Avenue in Dun Laoghaire then.

It only took me an hour to get up there for the interview but that was leaving at midday, I suffered a 2 hour drive on the way home, so I presume it would be the same if not worse getting to work in the mornings?

So I started looking at house rentals, I've looked at a few places around Dun Laoghaire itself and in particular areas close to Corrig Avenue. There is a few places I'm interested in but there very expensive, upwards of €200 a week and my wages starting off are not the best, I'm looking at €400 a week after tax so half my wages on a house is a bit much.

I have two sort of questions to put in this thread, firstly what is the area I'm looking in like, it seemed quiet enough the time I was up there. Is there any areas to avoid in Dun Laoghaire? What sort of stuff is in Dun Laoghaire itself? Cinemas? restaurants? take aways? Gyms? anything else?

Also any suggestions on areas that might be a little bit outside Dun Laoghaire but will be cheaper? something between €100 - €150 a week would be ideal and I'm only after a 1 bedroom studio apartment or a nice bedsit.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

DL is grand, but you'd definitely have to move closer to work! I've been working there for over 2 yrs and it is a nice place to work. (I do have a nice sea view from the office ;-) ) Haven't had any issues with skangers, I have to say.

You should be able to get a cheaper house share around Shankill/Bray and get the DART up to DL?

There are plenty of pubs and restaurants in the town, as well as a gym, 2 Tescos and a theatre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op Clarinda park is eternally popular with renters.. but you could try salthill/seapoint for something a bit classier. You could also rent in Stillorgan or somewhere along the 46a route or even in Blackrock.

Dun Laoaghaire tends to be a bit of a ghost town after 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

What about something in the Sandycove / Glasthule area? I know there are a few studios (ver small mind) around at the moment. Maybe something along the lines of this:
    www.daft.ie/2818842

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You'll even get a house share in Dalkey for 400-450 a month or so.

Try to avoid DL itself, its not a particularly nice place.
    On the other side around monkstown there are a good few good apts

Parking in Clarinda Pk would be very limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If your job is in DL then you could move to anywhere on the dart line really.

If you prefer to commute directly then DL itself is not so bad, it does go quiet after 6 but there is some nighlife too. Rents vary a lot, monkstown, blackrock, or the other direction out as far as Killiney are all viable options. Living beside the sea is a massive plus imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In the mean time for the love of god, don't get off the M50 at Sandyford anywhere near rush hour!

Go on to Cherrywood and then come down straight along Wyattville Road (R118) and follow this same road all the way to Corrig Road. Sandyford in the evening is ok, but should improve greatly in the next few weeks when the roadworks are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You'll even get a house share in Dalkey for 400-450 or so.

Try to avoid DL itself, its not a particularly nice place.
    On the other side around monkstown there are a good few good apts

Parking in Clarinda Pk would be very limited

Hey Cookie Monster,

Can I ask why its not a nice place?

I have a viewing in Clarinda Park tomorrow which includes secure off street parking which is a plus for me, and its literally on the door step of where I'll be working so a major plus.

What would be the negatives of living there that I should consider?

By a ghost town after 6pm do you mean that everywhere shuts up shop and there's nothing to do or that its just a really quiet place? I wouldn't mind it being quiet I'm not after a metropolitan lifestyle (my starting wages wont allow it)

As long as I can order food to my house, go to a cinema, go to some nice pubs and restaurants every so often then I'd be happy, I'll be moving up from the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As Honey said, there are quite a few bedsit type places around, especially in Clarinda park if you want to live close to work or some out towards Glasthule as well, which would take about 15 minutes to walk to Corrig Avenue.

My view on Dun Laoghaire is that it is a decent enough place to live near, but i wouldn't want to live in it.

Sandycove, Glasthule, Dalkey Killiney etc are nicer but you can easily get into Dun Laoghaire for the Cinema, shopping etc.

There is a Gym under the Pavilion theatre called crunch Fitness, or one at the Royal Marine Hotel. Neither are particularly cheap though.

Restaurant wise, plenty of choice and anything you want more or less. I usually eat out at Jaipur in Dalkey or Toscana along the front in DL.

You also have the best Ice Cream parlour in Ireland on your doorstep as well :cool:

Thanks for that Fratton Fred,

Can I ask why you wouldn't live in it and what you mean by the other areas are nicer? Do you mean the buildings/houses or the people/atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

draffodx wrote: »
    Can I ask why you wouldn't live in it and what you mean by the other areas are nicer? Do you mean the buildings/houses or the people/atmosphere?

ITs just a fairly run down uninteresting place with little or no redeeming features. No good pubs, nothing much else going on once shops close. Traffic is awful too. Cinema is decent but fairly pricey. Coupled with the volumous amount of scumbags around all add up to make it less than desirably.

As an aside, walking the east peir or along the sea front to sandycove every lunch time is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DL highstreet goes very quiet after about 6.30 pm most days - some days are late shopping so it is not as noticeable. Having said that there are some pubs/restaurants along there which are not so bad. Tescos is also open till 10 pm m-sat so it is not completely dead - just a lot quieter.

There is a 'swish apartment block' / hostel for homeless & drug addict types right beside the high street. This means that you may see some (generally harmless) drug addict /alco/stoner types knocking about the place which is a shame and is probably intimidating for women walking alone. It really is isolated though.

hhhmm it was ok until the volumous amount of scumbags comment, is it real bad? seemed shocking quiet and not many that would look the scumbag type around when I was up there.

So sandycove, glasthule, gleanagary, dalkey areas would be better to look at?

Doesn't seem to be as much available there as in Dun Laoghaire itself :(

I wouldn't live thre because I'd rather live in sandycove. For a single person it's probably not too bad.

Don't get put off too much though, I think we are painting a fairly harsh pisture of the place. Yes, there are alco/junkie types around, but it's not Ballymun.

That place Eclectichoney posted in Glasthule looks pretty handy for you, you could walk to work from there and it is right by the dart so you can get into town easily.. or you could try Glenageary as well.

Have you thought about renting a room in a shared house? that would be cheaper. I know someone who is looking for a tennant in Glenageary.

Dun laoghaire is quite a big place OP, and some parts are rougher than others. The bit closer to Glasthule (Clarinda park area and opposite the people's park) is a lovely spot imo.

Dun laoghaire is quite a big place OP, and some parts are rougher than others. The bit closer to Glasthule (Clarinda park area and opposite the people's park) is a lovely spot imo.

I would second that. I have friends in Clarinda Park and they really like it. They have a young family and are really pleased with the place.

Also, if you are looking for apub to nip to, Walters is just across the road and isn't too bad a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

Don't write off DL because it is a v big area and there are some very nice streets. The nicer parts are along the seafront, near Vesey crescent on the way to Monkstown. Towards Glasthule. Clarinda Park. Monkstown is a good area to live within easy walking distance. You are very near Dalkey and Killiney (great places to walk).

Deans Grange is possibly a cheaper area very near.

DL's long main street can at times be seedy, particularly if you walk beyond the Bloomfields entrance towards town.

Take into account that the DART line brings many area including town within easy reach. DL is about 20 minutes from Dub city centre.

Thanks for the replies so far,

Great info there.

Some of the places I've marked to get a look at are the following:

Clarinda Park West

This place is one of the cheaper one's, it includes refuse, Elec is only €20 per month, it has off street parking, cable tv and broadband and is very close to work.

Abbyview, Monkstown

This place is a good big place compared to others for the same price, bit oldish looking though, has cable tv but no broadband, elec is included in rent, own garden. But its a good distance from work and away from the Dart line. Would a bus go by here leading anywhere near corrig avenue?

Neptune Terrace, Sandycove

This one is in SandyCove but it seems a bit away from any Dart stations too, on street parking, cable tv, refuse included, elec is extra, cable tv, it also seems a bit oldish style, again its a bit off the beaten track is it? would a bus be available close by into Dun Laoghaire?

I've been on contact with the ones above but not these ones below

The Willows, Monkstown

This one is stunning but expensive just wondering would it be worth it? :D It seems to be between the two dart stations :(

Carn, Barnhill Rd, Dalkey

This one is on the expensive side too, it sounds good but worried a bit about the location too, would it be far from transport into Dun Laoghaire?

Eden Park, Sandycove

This one is the one electicgirl posted and it would actually be perfect but I tried to get in contact today and got no answer.

Fratton Fred, do you fancy pm me details of that house share? I dont mind a house share but I think I'd prefer my own place

Neptune Terrace, Sandyfordcove

This one is in SandyCove but it seems a bit away from any Dart stations too, on street parking, cable tv, refuse included, elec is extra, cable tv, it also seems a bit oldish style, again its a bit off the beaten track is it? would a bus be available close by into Dun Laoghaire?

I live about 50m away from this one actually! It's not so much off the beaten track, in fact it's about 5 mins walk from Sandycove village and ten minutes walk to Dalkey village, but it is also about 10 minutes walk to the nearest DART station (Sandycove & Glasthule). The 59 bus stops almost outside it though and goes into DL main street, but you'd walk the distance in 20 minutes anyway. Therefore, it would probably be about 20 minutes walk to Corrig Avenue as well, depending on which end of the street you would be working on (maybe less if it is the end towards the sea).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Where abouts in DL are you working?

If you're looking for something more typically suburban, you could try the Stillorgan area.

I have to pop down to the SWO in Dun Laoghaire from Brewery Road quite often at peak times - traffics generally fairly light and easy and the 46a is grand.

working in corrig avenue, I need to be able to walk to work or get public transport to close by, theres no parking facilities at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

working in corrig avenue, I need to be able to walk to work or get public transport to close by, theres no parking facilities at work
    Have you thought about glenageary, the house I live in has rooms spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

http://www.mkmap.com/Dublin
    Select the dart and the 7 and 45a bus. That'll show you whats within easy public transport commute of Corrig Ave.

Glenageary is good!

Chong wrote: »

can you pm me the details? or any link?

Fratton Fred, do you fancy pm me details of that house share? I dont mind a house share but I think I'd prefer my own place

I'll leave it to Chong, that's the one I was talking about :D

The Neptune Terrace one is in a fantastic location. sod the long walk to work, evenings spent sitting on the rocks gazing out to Howth would more than make up for that. You can even go for a morning swim (and yes, they do go for morning swims all year round at the 40 foot. Christmas day there is manic). not sure about the decor though.:confused:

Barnhill Road also sounds quite good. Although it is Dalkey, you are probably a ten minute walk from either Dalkey or Glenageary stations and a short stroll down to Dalkey village, which is full of good pubs and eating places.

I can't speak for the Monkstown ones, but TBH, all the others my side of DL look pretty good.

I'll leave it to Chong, that's the one I was talking about :D
    The Neptune Terrace one is in a fantastic location. sod the long walk to work, evenings spent sitting on the rocks gazing out to Howth would more than make up for that. You can even go for a morning swim (and yes, they do go for morning swims all year round at the 40 foot. Christmas day there is manic). not sure about the decor though.:confused:

Barnhill Road also sounds quite good. Although it is Dalkey, you are probably a ten minute walk from either Dalkey or Glenageary stations and a short stroll down to Dalkey village, which is full of good pubs and eating places.

I can't speak for the Monkstown ones, but TBH, all the others my side of DL look pretty good.

Here you go :

www.daft.ie/3510282

I have to agree with Fred but then I'm biased, given I live so close (do invite me to the housewarming if you move in lol!) It's definitely worth considering, and at the end of the day a 20 minute walk to work at most isn't much at all :) Plus as I said there is a Spar about 5 minutes walk from it so handy enough for the SUnday morning pint of milk and the papers etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

The Eden Park looks the job. 2 minute walk to work. The eagle house is only round the corner too, i could meet you for a pint :pac:

Here you go :

www.daft.ie/3510282

Sweet that is one nice house!! Very tempting! Do you mind me asking what kinda ages are in the house? I'm 26

Yeh the location of the Neptune Terrace one has grown on me but the decor is pretty bad, I know my budget is limited but I'd really like something a bit more modern.

Ah the joys of having to balance a good location with bad decor, ya'd swear I was buying the place :D
    I have to agree with Fred but then I'm biased, given I live so close (do invite me to the housewarming if you move in lol!) It's definitely worth considering, and at the end of the day a 20 minute walk to work at most isn't much at all :) Plus as I said there is a Spar about 5 minutes walk from it so handy enough for the SUnday morning pint of milk and the papers etc.!

Ah a house warming, I cant wait :) a twenty minute walk is a reason to keep me fit anyway, it would be a safe enough walk would it? No back alleys where I could end up getting an axe in the back of the head or something?
    Dun laoire wrote: »
    The Eden Park looks the job. 2 minute walk to work. The eagle house is only round the corner too, i could meet you for a pint :pac:

Just organising a viewing for that place now, it looks lovely and modern but pretty small, on street parking too, does it take long to get a permit for parking from the council?

• Advertisement

Sweet that is one nice house!! Very tempting! Do you mind me asking what kinda ages are in the house? I'm 26

Yeh the location of the Neptune Terrace one has grown on me but the decor is pretty bad, I know my budget is limited but I'd really like something a bit more modern.

Ah the joys of having to balance a good location with bad decor, ya'd swear I was buying the place :D

Ah a house warming, I cant wait :) a twenty minute walk is a reason to keep me fit anyway, it would be a safe enough walk would it? No back alleys where I could end up getting an axe in the back of the head or something?

Just organising a viewing for that place now, it looks lovely and modern but pretty small, on street parking too, does it take long to get a permit for parking from the council?
    I am 25 male work in IT in town, then are 2 other, 23yr old girl works in National rehab centre in s-noggin, and lad who is a musician/set designer 20.

Very easy going people and its a cool house. Any other questions drop me a pm.

Advertisement