Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job in Dun Laoghaire - Thinking about moving to the area..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks Chong!

I have viewings next week for the place in Clarinda Park, Neptune Terrace Sandycove and the Eden Park in Glasthule.

But generally I get the feeling that Glasthule or Sandycove would be better locations so the place in Clarinda park would have to be very nice to pick it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Clarinda park is fine really. In general most of the Dun Laoghaire area is actually pretty good, the main areas I'd say to avoid living in would be Sallynoggin, Monkstown Farm (though the rest of Monkstown is actually quite nice), Shankhill and Ballybrack.

None of those areas are anywhere near comparable to the Ballymun/Tallaght/Finglas level of roughness, but they still wouldn't be worth it when there are better options around.

But on top of that again then I might as well look for somewhere in Glathule or Sanycove as they again would be nicer than clarinda park?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Clarina park = bedsit paradise.

Plenty more options, foxrock, Blackrock, seapoint etc

Interested in THIS place in Clarinda park though.

Its probably small but with cable television included, broadband included and secure off street parking it could tempt me, my only worries are the previous comments about the Dun Laoghaire area itself.

That as opposed to THIS place in Glasthule, which is small only has on street permit parking, has cable television but no broadband, but is it a better location than being in Clarinda park?

Then finally there's THIS place which from the comments in this thread seems to be the best location, only cable tv, no broadband, on street parking, further away from corrig avenue and isn't very nice on the inside from pics, bad decor/old facilities etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, its hard to know, Geographically speaking Clarinda park and eden park are close.

However (and i may be wrong) Clarinda park is a real rent allowance part of Dun Laoghaire. When myself and my Gf were looking for somewhere to live she wanted to live there cos she found a nice place (i changed her mind).

There isnt anything wrong with Dun Laoaghaire, but it does get very quiet after 6 thurs-sat. Walters and the Kozie are good for a beer and a bit of food.

In saying that Glasthule is empty but "nicer".

I lived in Monkstown Farm all my life only ever had one spot of bother with a guy who was a few years younger than me and thought he was the next Rocky :rolleyes: But if I was you i'd probably live around blackrock, that way you got Dun Laoghaire, Stillorgan, Blackrock and you're nto too far from town.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Clarinda park is fine really. In general most of the Dun Laoghaire area is actually pretty good, the main areas I'd say to avoid living in would be Sallynoggin, Monkstown Farm (though the rest of Monkstown is actually quite nice), Shankhill and Ballybrack.

None of those areas are anywhere near comparable to the Ballymun/Tallaght/Finglas level of roughness, but they still wouldn't be worth it when there are better options around.

Shankill, with the exception of one particular estate is a fabulous place to live (known as rathsallagh but consists of rathsallagh, shanganagh cliffs and clifton park)
    There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Sallynoggin either apart from lack of pubs/entertainment. Monkstown farm is mostly fine also, some the houses there are still selling higher than some "posher" estates :rolleyes: and Ballybrack fair enough, it wouldn't be my first choice but all of the others are perfectly fine.

(I should add, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the rathsallagh estate, nor ballybrack, but there are just nicer places around)

Dun Laoghaire is fine, the opposite end of the town (york road area) would be avoidable. My only issue with the town itself is that it's boring as hell, while there are nice places to eat, there aren't really many nice bars.

Dalkey would be ideal, it's a lovely village with great restaurants/bars. Glasthule/sandycove is perfect because it is within ealking distance of both dalkey and dun laoghaire

I would say glasthule area would be perfect for you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

move to dalkey. i live near well killiney. ok its quiet well lol i come from a global city so dublin like my sig says is just a big town buts its really nice. near where tubridy used to live is awesome, sandycover is cool too.lovely at summer time.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Sallynoggin either apart from lack of pubs/entertainment.
    Dun Laoghaire is fine, the opposite end of the town (york road area) would be avoidable. My only issue with the town itself is that it's boring as hell, while there are nice places to eat, there aren't really many nice bars.

Dalkey would be ideal, it's a lovely village with great restaurants/bars. Glasthule/sandycove is perfect because it is within ealking distance of both dalkey and dun laoghaire

I would say glasthule area would be perfect for you OP.

Big time about the noggin, the really lost a landmark when they got rid of the Deerhunter, had some great memories there :D

But op it will depend on you, let us know when you make a decision!

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Sallynoggin either apart from lack of pubs/entertainment. Monkstown farm is mostly fine also, some the houses there are still selling higher than some "posher" estates :rolleyes: and Ballybrack fair enough, it wouldn't be my first choice but all of the others are perfectly fine.
    In fairness, there are a lot of scumbags in those areas. As I said before, they aren't as bad as some other areas, but there's a definite element of 'anti social behaviour'.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there are a lot of scumbags in those areas. As I said before, they aren't as bad as some other areas, but there's a definite element of 'anti social behaviour'.

You're talking about very very specific areas within a town though. It is completely wrong to paint a bad picture of an area based on one or two estates. If that's the case we could definitely say that Dun Laoghaire is a total kip and to avoid. Same goes for Glasthule. And Blackrock!

I think it's pure snobbery to base your opinions purely on an address. There are extremely well to do estates in Ballybrack also. Abberley, Albany court, Norwood, Brackenbush etc. Shankill there's Castlefarm, Hazelwood, Aubrey Park and many others. Monkstown Farm there is Carriglea Downs, Rosepark, Ardmore.

The problem with Ballybrack mostly lies with the new social housing, it's not nice, it has to be said, and I would certainly avoid living near there, however ballybrack is huge and there are really nice places to live there too.

Sallynoggin has matured alot over the years and it's a very quiet and very nice place to live.

Anyway, the above is pointless as I think the OP is better off alot closer to work if he's going to move out this way he may aswell do it right!

Of the 4 areas I mentioned, I've lived my entire life between 2 of them and still live in one. I went to school in one of the others, with a large percentage of my classmates being from the 4th one.

In my lifetime, we've called the guards about 8 times for break ins (3 were for our house), had graffiti, windows smashed, house egged, bangers through the letterbox and had the fire service out countless times because the 'locals' have set fire to mattresses, cars/coaches and the odd building or two. Granted averaged out over 24 years it averages out as only a one or two 'incidents' a year and it has definitely been quieter in recent years, but none of this is snobbery, it is my life experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think it's pure snobbery to base your opinions purely on an address. There are extremely well to do estates in Ballybrack also. Abberley, Albany court, Norwood, Brackenbush etc. Shankill there's Castlefarm, Hazelwood, Aubrey Park and many others. Monkstown Farm there is Carriglea Downs, Rosepark, Ardmore.

My In laws live in the Brack and where they live is quite nice. It is a funny area, anything in Ballybrack that has been built in the last ten years gets called Killiney for some reason. Ballybrack/church road is the perfect example of snobbery in Ireland, just look at the walls as you go from Loghlinstown up towards the Graduate roundabout. Metal railing for the council estate at the bottom, block walls and railings for the cheap houses further up and Granite walls for the posh houses at the top. The dual carriageway even goes down to one lane so the big houses at the top aren't on a dualer:D Then when you go into Ballybrack Village, you have big houses practically in the middle of the village who swear blind they live in Killiney.

Strange place.

Of the 4 areas I mentioned, I've lived my entire life between 2 of them and still live in one. I went to school in one of the others, with a large percentage of my classmates being from the 4th one.

Well you're exactly the same as me then, I grew up in one area, married a man from another, and we now live in another of them!!!! (I'm sure I probably know you hehe!)

Maybe I've just been very lucky, but in 28 years my mam and dad have never had any trouble, infact, the street where they live is (pre recession!) extremely sought after, houses were sold almost before they were put on sale (and these are ex council houses). Where I live now, and have been living for the past 3.5 years, I never have any hassle either but then, I don't live in the "rough" part, so maybe that's why??

I do think there is an unecessary snobbery when it comes to the name of an area though and it does bug me to be honest!

Edit: Anyway, sorry, I didn't intend to drag the thread off topic - oops!

she may aswell do it right!

I'm a he!

draffodx wrote: »
    I'm a he!

yeh I copped that after I had replied but didn't edit it for some reason!

Sorreee!

Introducing a wild card.......Eaton Place, Monkstown

What would that place be like?

Think the small place in glasthule is favourite at the minute though, I started work today and got to walk around Dun Laoghaire a bit and I see what people mean, the area is fairly run down and looks like its just in a depression.

So I definitely think I'll aim for glasthule or sandycove

Introducing a wild card.......Eaton Place, Monkstown

What would that place be like?

Think the small place in glasthule is favourite at the minute though, I started work today and got to walk around Dun Laoghaire a bit and I see what people mean, the area is fairly run down and looks like its just in a depression.

So I definitely think I'll aim for glasthule or sandycove

Really nice area, 7 and other buses on your doorstep, dart only a few minutes walk, 20-30min walk to Dun Laoghaire. Closer to the city centre for a taxi home if needs be or better still - on a nitelink route.

Stroll to monkstown village where there's shops, cafes, pubs (all really nice)

Longer walk to Blackrock where you've got shopping centres, pubs, restaurants, cafes.

You mentioned a gym in your OP, there's a gym very close to here, monkstown fitness centre I think it's called, locally known as the blue pool, small enough but has a pool and a small workout area, can be membership or pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I lived in Clarinda Park West for a couple of months and it seemed fine. Almost too quite to be honest - even the local kids that hang about at night are alright. :eek: I recognise that place you're looking at and it's literally around the corner from where you'll be working. Very handy on a cold or wet morning! :)

Dun Laoghaire itself can be pretty depressing after a while though. Serious lack of night life and basic shops. The streets are literally deserted at night. Probably because the pubs are so bad. Walters has a good name but I wasn't too keen on it - a lot of knobs, but it has a decent selection of live music all weekend. The Kozie (3 min walk from top of CPW) is nice for a quite pint - friendly staff and a decent older crowd. Dunphy's beside the Bloomfields Centre does a great pint of Guinness too. I'd probably avoid the rest, they're just too depressing.

You've probably noticed the number of winos/junkies around but most of them seem harmless. I haven't come across anywhere in Dun Laoghaire that I'd be afraid to walk at night etc. Far from it actually.

I think a lot of people here have been privileged enough to have never lived in a real ****hole. :p

From what I've seen, Glasthule is a nicer area but just as uninteresting.

In and around Monkstown village is nice, but it might be a bit out of the way for you. You can find free parking in around that area though.

Blackrock is nice, but not sure it's worth the time commuting for the money you're earning (join the club :) ).

Dalkey is Dalkey. It's not difficult to see the appeal..

I've been here four 7/8 months now.

i'll be a southsider come sunday!

• Advertisement

Oooh, welcome welcome!

Where did you decide on?

Where did you settle on OP?

right welcome party next week, starting off in Scotts, Nemos (Lime) and Paps (platinum :))!!!

went with monkstown, the flat is nicer and bigger than the one in glasthule and the area is much nicer, getting out of dun laoghaire every evening will be a joy!

I'll be on my own so some boards beers could be in order to get to know people :)

Where did you settle on OP?

right welcome party next week, starting off in Scotts, Nemos (Lime) and Paps (platinum :))!!!

Nemos, pfft, traders wharf you mean ;)

Well congrats on the new home OP. I'm sure beers can be arranged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Personally speaking I live in stillorgan which i cant recommend highly enough, especially as you have the 46A on your doorstep the most frequent bus service! I used to live in Shankill which is a really nice village, love it, also an easy commute to Dunlaoghaire. By the way I worked in dunlaoghaire for the past 8 years and its like anywhere else, good and bad parts but I wouldnt make a generalisation that it is a bad area because on the whole, its not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Actually, a local beers could be savage. Let's go for early in the new year to avoid the Christmas though, people are fierce busy at the minute.

I'll start a thread in the next few days to judge the mood.

Nemos, pfft, traders wharf you mean ;)

Didn't realise you were old enough to remember that place :D

argh after parking in Bloomfields all week @ €15 a day I find out today that its only €5 a day in either eden park or clarinda park! :o

argh after parking in Bloomfields all week @ €15 a day I find out today that its only €5 a day in either eden park or clarinda park! :o
    That's one disadvantage you'll have living in Monkstown. If you were living in Clarinda, you could go for the residential parking permit which is €75 for 2 years.

• Advertisement

That's one disadvantage you'll have living in Monkstown. If you were living in Clarinda, you could go for the residential parking permit which is €75 for 2 years.

Have already contact the co co and there is a parking permit left for the house i'm in so getting that monday hopefully :D

Advertisement