Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job in Dun Laoghaire - Thinking about moving to the area..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just in the flat now and have nothing in so can anyone point me in the right direction of the nearest take away from eaton place?

draffodx wrote: »
    Just in the flat now and have nothing in so can anyone point me in the right direction of the nearest take away from eaton place?

Aw man hope you haven't starved on us :eek:

There's a chinese restaurant called Amerta, it's in the village on the little road that leads from spar down to the sea.

They do all you can eat for €12 too and it's YUM.

Thanks,

just-eat.ie sorted me out!

Not sure I made the right choice! feel very alienated in the flat, maybe its just cos I didn't really want to move away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thanks,

just-eat.ie sorted me out!

Not sure I made the right choice! feel very alienated in the flat, maybe its just cos I didn't really want to move away from home

Don't worry bout it. After a month of freedom you'll never want to move back home :D

Edit 3000th Post, Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Jaysus..

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Op Clarinda park is eternally popular with renters.. but you could try salthill/seapoint for something a bit classier. You could also rent in Stillorgan or somewhere along the 46a route or even in Blackrock.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! Booterstown and Stillorgan areas have you easily close and are cheaper than Dun Laoghaire itself.

RE your list of things/amenities in DL, I'm v surprised you are asking that coming from Slane! Dun Laoghaire and the coastal villages into Dublin have everything that you could possibly need forever. You could put a little glass bubble over the area and have everything you could want or need!

Edit: woopsies, really shuda read the end of the thread before posting, I see you've already moved!

Jaysus..

:pac:

:D
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say! Booterstown and Stillorgan areas have you easily close and are cheaper than Dun Laoghaire itself.

RE your list of things/amenities in DL, I'm v surprised you are asking that coming from Slane! Dun Laoghaire and the coastal villages into Dublin have everything that you could possibly need forever. You could put a little glass bubble over the area and have everything you could want or need!

Edit: woopsies, really shuda read the end of the thread before posting, I see you've already moved!

I looked at places in booterstown and Stiilorgan there, only two places in each came up at under €900 and over €800 which is over my budget.

Very very nice looking places compared to the flat I'm in though.

Bad time to be getting to know a place, its dark by the time I get out of work so cant get to see much of the place.

Bad time to be getting to know a place, its dark by the time I get out of work so cant get to see much of the place.

Santa's coming soon and could sort that for ye...

So whats my best options for making use of the flat for a bit of Dublin nightlife over for my week off between xmas and new years?

Is there any nearby nightclubs or would I be better off heading into the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

The Purty Kitchen on the Old Dun Leary Road is a good spot, or Tonic in Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is there any nearby nightclubs or would I be better off heading into the city?

Honestly whatever you do, don't go to "Platinum" you'll regret it!!!

+ 10 Billion.

I honestly can't agree more. What an awful whole!

Purty can be pretty good or even head to Tonic in Blackrock

Wheres that? Dun Laoghaire itself?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wheres that? Dun Laoghaire itself?

Yes, it's attached to the shopping centre, spent many nights down there in my youth.. wasted years :rolleyes:

Yes, it's attached to the shopping centre, spent many nights down there in my youth.. wasted years :rolleyes:

I seen one called Lime I think thats part of the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre too, is that the same place or different? Dont recall seeing platinum anywhere

Platinum is down where the major bus stop is, (think there's a bookies there now) Lime is a disco bar (well it was when i went there years ago) couldnt testify to what it likes now, but most likely pretty young.

I seen one called Lime I think thats part of the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre too, is that the same place or different? Dont recall seeing platinum anywhere

Lime is shut down.

Was a strange place when open. Could get breakfast and all a wierd hybrid of cafe/pub/niteclub that wasn't great overall.

Used to go there once a week after work for coffee / sandwiches and such and never paid the full price, always undercharged for something. No wonder they closed down in the end

Yes, avoid Platinum (aka, paps, papparazzi, platts :rolleyes:) like the plague! It's a terrible terrible kip.

I would avoid the Wicked Wolf in Blackrock also.

Tonic is a good spot. Nice and lively, good crowd, niteclub upstairs. Sheehans is just across the road from there, good for matches etc.

Purty is a grand niteclub, the bar is supposed to be nice was never in it myself.

Walters in Dun Laoghaire is a late bar now but haven't been in it in quite a while so not sure what it's like but have heard good reports. They usually have a bit of live music at the weekends.

The 40 Foot is at the end of Marine Road, part of the Pavillion building, I haven't been in it since it reopened but it used to be a very good spot, as long as they stay fussy with their customers it'll be a grand place for a drink and a dance.

For a nice pint and a bit of dins, the Pub in Monkstown Village is lovely.

Don't feel alienated just yet, it's early days, you'll be fine. Sure we'll be having a beers in the new year and you'll make loads of new buddies :pac:

Ok have a few more questions as this has been my first full week in Monkstown and a few things have come to light.

The shopping centre's in DL are pretty much useless, where would be the closest or easiest to get to decent shopping centre for me?

Somewhere that has some proper big name stores like HMV, Game, TKMAXX etcc...??

Also for grocery shopping I went to Tesco in Bloomfields, its handy as the car park is there and all but I am used to shopping in Dunnes from home and find they have better stock and much nicer own brand stuff.

I think I did see a grocery Dunnes up one of the side streets in DL but it looked small and there didn't seem to be a carpark attached or nearby?

If its not a big Dunnes with handy parking where would be the nearest one of them?

Also where would be the nearest local shop for the paper and milk or whatever from Eaton Place?

Sorry about all the Q's but I aint here at all during daylight so cant find a thing! :o

Ok, for all my answers i think you'll need to look at google maps!
    Ok have a few more questions as this has been my first full week in Monkstown and a few things have come to light.

The shopping centre's in DL are pretty much useless, where would be the closest or easiest to get to decent shopping centre for me?

If you're not going into town (assuming you're driving), i'd probably go to either Dundrum Shopping centre (v big) or Carrickmines business park(tkmaxx, pcworld etc).

Also for grocery shopping I went to Tesco in Bloomfields, its handy as the car park is there and all but I am used to shopping in Dunnes from home and find they have better stock and much nicer own brand stuff.

Well there's both the Frascatti centre and Blackrock shopping centre within walking distance(ish) beside you, or you could drive to Dunnes in Foxrock. It's a big one there.
    Also where would be the nearest local shop for the paper and milk or whatever from Eaton Place?

Sorry about all the Q's but I aint here at all during daylight so cant find a thing! :o

There's a spar 5min walk away from you on the monkstown road, down opposite the church at the fork. Basically come up to monkstown road and turn left and it'l hit u in the face.

Getting to know an area can be a pain alright, keep at it! Hope the job's goin well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think I did see a grocery Dunnes up one of the side streets in DL but it looked small and there didn't seem to be a carpark attached or nearby?

Edit: just read the above response, I forgot about carrickmines!!

Dunnes Foxrock and Cornelscourt are the same place. There is also a Lidl in Pottery road, or at deansgrange crossroads.
    If its not a big Dunnes with handy parking where would be the nearest one of them?

You'll see from the thread on here that DL shopping centre is going downhill, but there are still a few good shops in there. DL has Golden discs which does games and a couple of sports shops as well as the usual Vodafone/meteor stores. There is also a big Pennys in DL.

Blackrock has two shopping centres, one with a nice Superquin and the other with a pretty decent Debenhams. Just head to Blackrock and you can't miss them, they are either side of the main road.

The nearest big Dunnes would be at Cornelscourt Shopping centre, Cabinteely on the N11, it is huge and open 24/7 and has a few other shops in there as well. It is crazy on Saturdays though, so try and go there midweek. Personally I prefer Tesco bloomfields.

if you want to do serious shopping, then Dundrum is your best bet, that has everything you will need.

Your nearest damnit shop I uess would be monkstown village, back by Goggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

For the cheaper option, there's a Lidl here, though it's not particularly huge either.

There's a Gamestop opposite the shopping centre and another game shop on the top floor of the shopping centre - though It's been a while since I've been to either as I ditched bricks & mortar game shops a few years back.

Thanks all, great help.

Gamestop or Golden Disc dont have what I'm after (Pc games)

Will head out to Carrick mines for a browse some evening, I actually put the concrete base floors in them units there :D

Familiar enough with Dundrum too, been there a couple of times.

All helpful info, thanks alot!

More Questions......:D

Heading out in the city centre on Friday, So I'll need to get a nightlink bus back to monkstown isn't it?

Where do I get these nightlinks and how much do they cost?

I presume the Dart will bring me close enough to the city centre to walk the rest of the way?

And then just recommendations for where to go in the city? good pubs and nightclubs?

Where do I get these nightlinks and how much do they cost?
    You need to get the 7N from College St, just around the corner from the entrance to Trinity College. The bus to pay is across the road on D'Olier St. It's one of those little imp buses I think! It's €5 for the fare.
    I presume the Dart will bring me close enough to the city centre to walk the rest of the way?

Yep. Where are you going in town? Do you have any idea of the general location?
    And then just recommendations for where to go in the city? good pubs and nightclubs?

Totally depends on what you're into to be honest. What music do you like? Do you like cosy pubs or disco bars? I don't know town all that well myself but I know a few good spots. Just depends on if you like the same stuff I do!!!

You need to get the 7N from College St, just around the corner from the entrance to Trinity College. The bus to pay is across the road on D'Olier St. It's one of those little imp buses I think! It's €5 for the fare.

Yep. Where are you going in town? Do you have any idea of the general location?

Totally depends on what you're into to be honest. What music do you like? Do you like cosy pubs or disco bars? I don't know town all that well myself but I know a few good spots. Just depends on if you like the same stuff I do!!!

What do you mean by the bus to pay?

No idea where to go in town to be honest, meeting my brother there and he goes to the woolshed, whats that place like?

Like to start off in a pub where I can chat away without having to shout or my ear drums bleeding then move onto a place with a band and then a disco(ey) place to round off the night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

What do you mean by the bus to pay?
    Nitelink tickets are sold out of a minibus with part of one side missing - basically it just looks an oversized ice cream truck.

[edit]Found a pic.*

* ok, not quite like an ice cream truck....but after a few beers they can look similar.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if you have exact change, you can just pay on the bus

No idea where to go in town to be honest, meeting my brother there and he goes to the woolshed, whats that place like?

Like to start off in a pub where I can chat away without having to shout or my ear drums bleeding then move onto a place with a band and then a disco(ey) place to round off the night

Woolshed is decent (and where i'll be going for this years super bowl :) Tara Street and Connolly are probably equidistant from it, but if you get off at connolly you can get the Luas up a couple of stops and have a short walk to it.

• Advertisement

Didn't know you could pay on the bus? Damn that would have been handy after the last beers I was at - missed the feckin bus cos I didn't know they're moved the ticket bus and had to get a taxi :(

Yeh the woolshed is a good spot. I'd hop off at connolly if I were you. About 10 mins walk up to the top of O'Connell St.

I'm not great with town - I go where I'm told :pac: Most places are shocking expensive though so be prepared! Wexford st area is pretty cool, the village, solas etc. The porterhouse at the top of temple bar is a good spot too.

Advertisement