Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any plumbers able to give me their expert opinion?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Money is tight and I'd prefer not to have to call someone unless I can't do it myself. This all happened when the water was switched back on in Cork after the floods but I've been so busy I'm only getting around to it now.

We have two toilets in the house. The cistern in the upstairs toilet will not fill and I can't figure out why. Two likely causes I think are either debris or an air-lock. When I look into tank I can see minor debris at very bottom but this may be normal in an uncovered attic tank for all I know. See pics below with explanations. Any ideas appreciated!

DSCF3126.jpg What the cistern looks like

DSCF3128.jpg Pipe that brings water to cistern. This has a little turnable screw akin to one you'd find on a boiler to increase water pressure. I've turned it back and forth to no avail.

DSCF3136.jpg Pipe bringing water into tank in attic

DSCF3137.jpg Ballcock in tank

DSCF3139.jpg Two pipes leading away from tank (of 3 in total that I can see).

DSCF3142.jpg 3rd pipe leading away from tank

Any ideas folks or is it call a plumber time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Try the DIY Fourm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Try the DIY Fourm

Thanks never know where to place my odd threads :o

edit: Mod I will repost there so I guess you can combine this one maybe? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

In your second picture is a service valve chrome in colour turn the screw slot so that it is perpendicular with the pipe and therefore off.

Now go to the cistern and unscrew the green coloured valve.

Inside here is a little conical nozzle, check and see if it is blocked.

When taking it apart do so slowly and remember the order and you wont go wrong.

Sorry to hear the floods got you:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I can't help with plumbing but I'd suggest ringing the city council, they might send a plumber for free.

The plumbers were on this thread, maybe pm one of them in case they don't see this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055748768

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Close the valve in pic 2 (1/4 turn with a screwdriver).
    Next undo the left hand green nut on the ballvalve pic 1 any debris should be cleaned from here, while dismantled open the valve pic 2 slightly to check for water, if water does not flow you may have an air lock

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    Close the valve in pic 2 (1/4 turn with a screwdriver).
    Next undo the left hand green nut on the ballvalve pic 1 any debris should be cleaned from here, while dismantled open the valve pic 2 slightly to check for water, if water does not flow you may have an air lock

This is the stage I am at. There was a load of gunk in the parts and I was certain it would work. When it didn't I did as you suggested and sure enough no luck. Any ideas how to proceed? I have a madcap notion of sticking a can of compressed air up there ;)

In your second picture is a service valve chrome in colour turn the screw slot so that it is perpendicular with the pipe and therefore off.

Now go to the cistern and unscrew the green coloured valve.

Inside here is a little conical nozzle, check and see if it is blocked.

When taking it apart do so slowly and remember the order and you wont go wrong.

Sorry to hear the floods got you:(

Thanks for that. Indeed load of debris in there but still I can't get it to work. I took it all apart and then tested it by tuning off the service valve (i.e. water on) and still nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DS Plumbing

OK the thing to do is turn off the check valve at the end of the flexi hose so that it is facing horizontal(it is now vertical) use a flathead screwdriver to do this.Teh water supply is now off

now unscrew the green nut and check the orifice for debris and grit

then open the check valve slightly and let the water run into the cistern for a few seconds to make sure all debris is gone

reassamble the green nut and when its tight(make sure to refit the parts the same way as it came off)

turn the check valve until its vertical again with the flathead and all will be rosy

hope this sorts your problem

David @ DS Plumbing

OK the thing to do is turn off the check valve at the end of the flexi hose so that it is facing horizontal(it is now vertical) use a flathead screwdriver to do this.Teh water supply is now off

now unscrew the green nut and check the orifice for debris and grit

then open the check valve slightly and let the water run into the cistern for a few seconds to make sure all debris is gone

reassamble the green nut and when its tight(make sure to refit the parts the same way as it came off)

turn the check valve until its vertical again with the flathead and all will be rosy

hope this sorts your problem

David @ DS Plumbing

Hey Ds thanks for reply. I did this and found debris but still no luck. I'm think maybe debris trapped in the actual pipe or an air lock maybe?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Hey Ds thanks for reply. I did this and found debris but still no luck. I'm think maybe debris trapped in the actual pipe or an air lock maybe?
    loosen off the flexi hose under the cistern and see if any water is coming from the hose.the actual inlet of the toilet fill id imagine is blocked with grit also

is all other cold feeds working no problems?

David @ DS Plumbing & Heating

• Advertisement

Its working! :) Well 70% as fast anyway in terms of filling! Following all your suggestions, I first cleaned the gunk out as I mentioned. When this didn't work I got a can of compressed air and blasted it down the pipe. Drip rate increased but nothing else. I left valve a little open and went over to bath (mixer taps). I then covered the nozzle as best I could and next thing the cistern kicked into action. So while its not at 100% its doing ok and I can live with it. Any suggestions how to get it back to 100%? What happening now is that as the ballcock lifts upwards the water rate begins to slow down to drips when the cistern is about 75 % full. This would be grand except the tank is right above my room and now runs for about 10 mins compared to a much shorter time frame before to compensate for this gradual water loss so annoying in terms of noise (but much better then having no upstairs toilet!)

Thanks so much all for your help in getting me this far, great resource to have is boards.:p

good stuff!

is suggest cleaning your attic tank out,alot of dirt in there,
    block off all feeds from your tank apart from the cold meed
    turn the gate valve off on your cold feed to the house and run the cold tap down stairs.when you have this done then loosen the nut on the gate valve on the bottom of the valve and let all the dirt from the tank flow down this pipe only into a bucket underneath,when the water is clear turn off the valve and connect the cold mains from your kitchen sink to your cold feed in the hotpress thats feeding all cold appliances via a hose and 2 jubilee clips,turn on the mains tap and in turn open the cold outlets at basins and toilet feeds,do this for a few mins..

then reconnect the cold feed in the hotpress at the gate valve and when the nut is tight switch on the gate valve,your system will be as good as new

all the above is assuming you dont have a pump in the hotpress feeding the appliances

David @ DS Plumbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

tommy21 wrote: »
    Its working! :)

I'm loving this, that someone on boards helped him fix the plumbing:)

@DS Plumbing How much would you have charged him for that if you were to call round?:D But seriously, really nice of you!

sunnyside wrote: »
    I'm loving this, that someone on boards helped him fix the plumbing:)

@DS Plumbing How much would you have charged him for that if you were to call round?:D But seriously, really nice of you!
    To be totally honest i wouldnt of charged anything if i had lived close by taking into account the circumstances of the hassle caused by the flooding!

:D

David @ DS Plumbing & Heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Top form DS, good on ya!

Advertisement