Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything be done about a missed exam?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Ok.. So i missed an exam, couldn't make it on time for different reasons. What are the options available for people who missed an exam, is it just a resit during the summer or can a resit be arranged over the next few weeks, depending on the circumstances?? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There's not much you can do really at this stage. The best thing would be to have a chat with your school office and programme office and see what they recommend. The course of action really depends on why you missed the exam - illness, extenuating circumstances, over-slept, etc., though the chances are you will probably have to re-sit the exam the next time it's offered, either during the summer exams or at Christmas next year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In my experience, no, unless you turn up very late on the actual day. Generally after that it's a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Apparently there is a clamp down on students being allowed sit exams for which they turn up late on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

As convert said, go talk to your lecturer and programs office. If you have a proper reason for missing it (not "i forgot" or "read the timetable wrong") then something might be able to be sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As people ahve said before, talk to the programme office. Howeer, what I have is useful anectodal evidence! One of my housemates once showed up for an exam a day late (they;d changed the timetable since he looked at it when it was first up), went to the program office and course co-ordinator and they arranged for him to sit a diferent exam (presumably a back up paper or something) in a room in the arts block later during the exams. He was also warned that this was a once off, and if it happened again it was his tough luck,

S there is hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

How about going down the extenuating circumstances route if everything else fails and repeating it next summer.provided of course that you missed the exam because of extenuating circumstances *wink wink*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fairness people shouldn't be wink-wink-ing extenuating circumstances: that kind of thing used to really annoy me when I was an undergrad. People shouldn't be getting special treatment.

Yeah, abusing the extenuating circumstnces route is bad form imo. It's there for people who have had a serious problem and shouldn't be abused. If you couldn't have been bothered doing something then tough sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Red Alert wrote: »
    In fairness people shouldn't be wink-wink-ing extenuating circumstances: that kind of thing used to really annoy me when I was an undergrad. People shouldn't be getting special treatment.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yeah, abusing the extenuating circumstnces route is bad form imo. It's there for people who have had a serious problem and shouldn't be abused. If you couldn't have been bothered doing something then tough sh1t.

Apologies folks,I wasn't trying to make a mockery of those who genuinely have to go down the extenuating circumstances route.Yes,I agree that it shouldn't be abused but,for example,if you happen to miss an exam and repeat it next semester,would I be right in thinking that no matter how well you do,you still only get a D?

fatal wrote: »
    Apologies folks,I wasn't trying to make a mockery of those who genuinely have to go down the extenuating circumstances route.Yes,I agree that it shouldn't be abused but,for example,if you happen to miss an exam and repeat it next semester,would I be right in thinking that no matter how well you do,you still only get a D?

You'd fail it this semester so would have to repeat/resit next semester and no matter what grade you get your GPA is capped at 1.8 (think its 1.8 anyway, may be wrong on that).

If you got, say, a B- in your repeat/resit, it will be shown as a B-(R) in your results and your GPA is capped for that module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

i once overslept after being awake for some 50 hours during the exam period (late essays, bad planning). I told my lecturer and she let me sit the exam in the room next to her office.

My advice is always to skip the programme office, especially since their advice is usually to go and talk to your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

You should fill out an extenuating circumstances form and contact the programme office or the module co-ordinator to let them know as well.

Its always best to let people know now rather than leaving it until the results come out and incurring a resit fee , if you had notified them on time they might have taken your circumstances into consideration.

Ring your programme office and find out what dates the pre-exam board are on and what date you should have the form in by - I know on the Arts home page they have the final date for submission of extenuating circumstances is the 8th of January.

If they do take your extenuating circumstances into consideration you will be given an IX grade and you then sit the resit exam in the next semester. Please bear in mind if do get an IX grade make sure you are not registered to the resit next semester as this will just incur a the resit charge.

click on the following links for extenuating circumstances
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum.pdf

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum_proforma.pdf

information on resits/repeats exam stuff is on the exams website

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/info_stu.htm

Advertisement