Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Tax & Petrol Stations

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just went down to fill up the car and guess what, all the pumps but one were "out of order".

The lad working the till looked quite anxious when he noticed that I had found the one pump in the garage which he hadn't put up the out of order sign.

But to make my point, this is typical of the Irish retailer mentality to screw us to the wall whenever they can get away with it. And I won't be shocked when we don't see the reduced prices in alcohol and the VAT rate when they come along

By the way I'm living in Cork and so the majority of the petrol stations here are run by Topaz, so I would believe this tactic is being used in every station run by them through out the country.

*edit, please note this was at 9 pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I had to fill the car today anyway as I was running on empty and the local petrol station was a lot busier than normal and all the people there were filling their tanks so it is possible that they have run out.

If you are concerned contact Topaz themselves cc'ing the letter to your local TDs.

Edit: Please note it was 6pm and normally at the petrol station there are at most 3 cars at 6 pumps at the time. There were 12 cars queueing there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Am i right that its 4.2cent increase?

So anyway filling a 50 litre car will spend an extra 2.10, big woop,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How do you know they didn't sell out or that they didn't have some other issue?
    I can't see any logic in effectively closing down the forecourt to save the fuel until tomorrow. Anyhow, they could have done what I believe the Texaco near my office has done (raised ULG it by 2c today).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How exactly did this benefit topaz ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

incendio wrote: »
    Just went down to fill up the car and guess what, all the pumps but one were "out of order".

Erm, and what advantage would they have from saving it for tomorrow or whatever you are implying? It's not like the extra 4 cent goes into their pocket is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

I filled up my motorbike on the way home. I'd done 240km since the last fill up, so I had an almost empty tank. Total bill was €13. Awwwww yeah! :)

But I did notice that all the petrol stations were quite busy, I passed 3. It's most likely that they sold out of petrol. Which is strange, cause we knew about the carbon tax for weeks before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

theres no benefit for topaz--the carbon tax goes to the government.

Passed a few garages today--looked like the rationing of the 1970's and 80's had returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lol, i cant believe that was what happened me earlier, went to drop off a mate after work, pulled into the station as i needed to juice up haha, and feckin hell the place was jammers, i go there regularly and was like WTF? so this thread reminded me of what it was about, what a joke, everyone going nuts for about 2 euro total in savings( over the next year or so if it ever goes down ) if you've a 50litre tank.

What does this say about irish people? completely complacent when youre being ripped off, yet if you've it written on something the size of the good year blimp you take notice?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

lmimmfn wrote: »
    everyone going nuts for about 2 euro total in savings if you've a 50litre tank.

I wonder what percentage of that €2 saving is then negated by the energy (ie., petrol or diesel) burned in order to carry around the additional weight of a 50ltr tank of petrol?!

I wonder what percentage of that €2 saving is then negated by the energy (ie., petrol or diesel) burned in order to carry around the additional weight of a 50ltr tank of petrol?!
    ahh i wouldnt even go there, it was totally lame, and just idiotic. Serisously 16-18 cars packed into a small area, everyone going absolutely nuts for the next pump and loads waiting to drive into the pumps, 2 bloody euro over 1+ years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

lmimmfn wrote: »
    ahh i wouldnt even go there, it was totally lame, and just idiotic. Serisously 16-18 cars packed into a small area, everyone going absolutely nuts for the next pump and loads waiting to drive into the pumps, 2 bloody euro over 1+ years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree lmimmfn it was pathetic I would have gone off and come back tomorrow if it wasn't for the fact the tank contained fumes at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

jhegarty wrote: »
    realcam wrote: »
    Erm, and what advantage would they have from saving it for tomorrow or whatever you are implying? It's not like the extra 4 cent goes into their pocket is it?

The petrol company pay tax/duty on petrol at source . i.e they pay when a new tank(very big tank) is opened in the port, so when petrol goes up 2 cent per litre from 12 pm any tanks unsealed before 12 will pay x amount tax those unsealed after 12 will pay y amount tax .
    I,d say every petrol tanker was filled before 12 pm for it run tomorrow

p.s. the tanks are sealed and unsealed by the customs officers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

My local garage had no sausage rolls left when i went down,no johnny onion rings too.

Bollix to this country

gandalf wrote: »
    I agree lmimmfn it was pathetic I would have gone off and come back tomorrow if it wasn't for the fact the tank contained fumes at that stage!
    yeah, unfortunately i was in the same situation, wouldnt have made it home on my 35 min drive home without a top up, still only stuck 20 euro in it, it was like heroin haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Horgan wrote: »

That attitude to €2.10 is the reason country is so expensive. In the USA there would be mass protests if their fuel went up by $2. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

And don't y'all feel like ye're doing ye're bit for the planet when you fill up the car tomorrow or whenever. Me, I'm going to buy a pair of sandals made out of old tyres tomorrow and eat a tofu cutlet in honour of this wonderful tax...:rolleyes:

Can't wait for the Greens to get their due comeuppance next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I filled up my car this morning, drove around until I saw the red light, filled up again, drove around for another few hours, then filled up again.. I saved a fortune - GOT YOU THERE MR. LENIHAN... AHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Motor fuel gets a 4c hike and what do drivers do? Take to the service stations as if it was back in the 70s again and OPEC are playing silly buggers.
    To save how much?
    Well, I usually fill up to around €35-€40. Had I been as equally petty and stupid as those holding traffic up at slip-roads and at stations yesterday evening, I would have saved a whopping €1.40 for 30 minutes of queueing.

Real clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Justind wrote: »
    Motor fuel gets a 4c hike and what do drivers do? Take to the service stations as if it was back in the 70s again and OPEC are playing silly buggers.
    To save how much?
    Well, I usually fill up to around €35-€40. Had I been as equally petty and stupid as those holding traffic up at slip-roads and at stations yesterday evening, I would have saved a whopping €1.40 for 30 minutes of queueing.

Real clever.

Please check that there isn't a thread already.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Please check that there isn't a thread already.

moderately,
    Scofflaw
    No worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

jhegarty wrote: »

Because an increase in excise duty is not charged at the tills - it is charged on entry into the country. Any station who has put up the price (i.e. most of 'em) prior to at least their next fuel deilery is creaming off the extra themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 PatHawkins

Horgan wrote: »

I've got some rubber nails, would you like to but them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Topaz in Galway are after increasing the prices in galway city. Gready Topaz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Danno wrote: »
    That attitude to €2.10 is the reason country is so expensive. In the USA there would be mass protests if their fuel went up by $2. :eek:

There were mass protests when the price of petrol went up in the US a couple of years ago! They thought it was the end of the world because it went up from $2 a gallon to $4 a gallon. US is slightly different though in that you need a car to go anywhere there. They are a lot more dependent on cars that we are for example...

I was there at the time and when I told them that an equivalent gallon of petrol in Ireland was $9 or $10 they nearly died! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There were mass protests when the price of petrol went up in the US a couple of years ago! They thought it was the end of the world because it went up from $2 a gallon to $4 a gallon. US is slightly different though in that you need a car to go anywhere there. They are a lot more dependent on cars that we are for example...

I was there at the time and when I told them that an equivalent gallon of petrol in Ireland was $9 or $10 they nearly died! :)
    In fairness, their petrol is muck!

There were mass protests when the price of petrol went up in the US a couple of years ago! They thought it was the end of the world because it went up from $2 a gallon to $4 a gallon.

Thats a 100% increase though. Last night's ridiculous melodramatic overreaction by Irish drivers was down to a whopping 3.6%

Advertisement