Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Theory Articles

• 09-12-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello all,

I was wondering, could anybody point me in the direction of freely accesible online academic articles primarily concerned with game theory?
    If possible, the articles should refer to optimal commodity taxation and/or cross-border shopping.

Thanks in advance.;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Optimal commodity taxation isn't game theory, I'm afraid.

If you're talking about Newry, we might alter our tax rates to combat cross-border shopping. But the UK aren't going to change theirs simply to get Dundalk's business, so the players' moves (UK and Ireland) are not inter-dependent.

As I said, we might alter tax rates because people will shop over the border. But a better way to picture that is you're taxing one good (Irish goods) and not taxing another (British goods) and you're looking at the own- and cross-price elasticities.

With regard commodity taxation and elasticities, the Ramsey Rule is what you're looking for. It should be covered in any textbook on public economics. It's also covered in some micro textbooks; for example, it's on p.347 in Mas-Colell, Whinston and Green. (Though that's not what you want to go looking at until you know what the Ramsey Rule is first :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Hello Time Magazine,

Thanks for your reply.
    Actually, I've already covered the Ramsey Optimum.
    You see, I'm doing a literature review and I wanted to expand on my list of references/sources. The thesis proposal is concerned with cross-border shopping, specifically with regard to the Irish economy.
    As I've already said, I've covered the Ramsey Optimum (but by no means is it an exhaustive reference) along with panel data vector autoregression analysis and other statistical inference, but I was hoping to expand on the remit of the thesis proposal, especially with regard to economic theoretical approaches, and I figured that cross-border economic activity might be subject to some facet of game theory. Although, in retrospect, perhaps it was a little adventurous.
    Would you expect that covering the aspects alluded to above would be sufficient?

Thanks again for your suggestions. I hope to take them on board.;)

The theory seems pretty obvious, the quantitative magnitudes are what's interesting. The forthcoming change in VAT rates in Ireland and the UK might be a useful natural experiment to test the influence of tax on cross border shopping. Reading up on border effects (eg. The "How wide is the border" paper) might also be instructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

patriks wrote: »
    Hello Time Magazine,

Thanks for your reply.
    You're welcome.
    Actually, I've already covered the Ramsey Optimum.
    Think about how the recession might alter people's sensitivity to price.
    panel data vector autoregression analysis and other statistical inference
    Panel VARs? What sort of data you got?

What level is this thesis at, undergrad or master's? If it's undergrad you would be mental to go near panel VARs tbh.
    but I was hoping to expand on the remit of the thesis proposal, especially with regard to economic theoretical approaches, and I figured that cross-border economic activity might be subject to some facet of game theory. Although, in retrospect, perhaps it was a little adventurous.
    Would you expect that covering the aspects alluded to above would be sufficient?
    What level are you at? Do you want to do a really nice theory paper, a really nice econometrics paper, or a nice theory + econometrics paper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Time Magazine

If you're talking about Newry, we might alter our tax rates to combat cross-border shopping. But the UK aren't going to change theirs simply to get Dundalk's business, so the players' moves (UK and Ireland) are not inter-dependent.

There are other pieces of game theory also involved in cross border shopping.
    1. Traffic. Its a version of the El Faro bar problem. You want to go when other people don't. But so do other people.
    2. Defection. Cross border shoppers are claimed to be defectors. No one wants to be seen as a defector (not patriotic) but if they know other people will defect they would be silly not to. So where is the equilibrium in the cross border shopping dilemma? And if it is where everyone knows it is defect why are politicians pretending it isn't?

• Advertisement

What level is this thesis at, undergrad or master's? If it's undergrad you would be mental to go near panel VARs tbh.

The thesis is at undergrad level - it's for my final year.
    The quandary - if one can call it that - is, I suppose, that my particular supervisor has, effectively, given us free reign (not all supervisors have followed suit - some prefer to provide a section of topics to choose from, and provide a list of suggested articles for each topic).
    Personally, whilst I do appreciate the "free reign" approach, as it does allow students to follow their interests, and, certainly, endows the student with an unprecedented feeling of "maturity", given that it's our first real self-directed project of any considerable magnitude, it can lead to the student being overwhelmed in an academic abyss, but, in any case, I've probably digressed too much. Bear with me; I do hope to get to the point.
    What level are you at? Do you want to do a really nice theory paper, a really nice econometrics paper, or a nice theory + econometrics paper?

Well, I guess, ideally, I'd like to do a really nice theory + econometrics paper, but, realistically, I'd be pleased with a strong theory paper backed up with some econometric applications.
    I'd be willing to revise my designs and aspirations if there were a compelling case to do so (i.e. a suggestion that, maybe, as regards cross-border activity, there's far more scope in a potential heavily econometric-based paper.)
    Thanks again to everybody - you really have been of great assistance.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭REFLINE1

Hello all,

I was wondering, could anybody point me in the direction of freely accesible online academic articles primarily concerned with game theory?
    If possible, the articles should refer to optimal commodity taxation and/or cross-border shopping.

Thanks in advance.;)[/quote]

Hey,
    Theres lots of good stuff at this link,not articles as such but might be worth a look for you.
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/Game_Theory/Contents.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

patriks wrote: »
    Hello all,

Thanks in advance.;)

Repec is usually a good source of free articles

http://ideas.repec.org/top/top.gth.html

Scroll down a bit and it will show a list of the top 5% authors. You can also search for article titles.

Thanks a million, guys!
    It's really appreciated! ;)

Advertisement