Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentle Killing

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Anyone like to share tips/advice on kind methods for killing Turkeys? Will have to do so in a couple of weeks, 2 options so far under consideration:

- beheading (least appealing) and
    - breaking neck over spade handle.

We've become very attached to our bronze turkeys which have become very big and well developed. At least we've provided them with an interesting and cared environment whilst they were with us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sonnen, check if you can get a mobile slaughterman to your property. They hang the birds by their feet, put a metal probe into their mouths and deliver a murderous volt of electricity that kills them instantly. They'll also then clean and gut them for you.

Unfortunately, not living there, while I know the service exists, I have no other details for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a traffic cone and cut it down to about 60 cm or so big enough to hold the turkey whole, cut the small end off so the hole is big enough to stick the Turkeys head through.
    Fix the cone to a wall that you can wash down large head screws with big flat washers will work but be sure to fit enough to support the weight of the turkey.

Stick the turkey in head down and cut the neck so they bleed out.
    Gut, Pluck and chill.

This is the best way to do it to avoid messy flapping and unwanted hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thanks CJ, that looks like a novel and easy solution and should avoid what happened last year when the turkey was not restrained and yes ran about for sometime headless! Quite a sight and scary for some and for others a little funny at the time, but in hindsight not a pleasant memory.

Had planned to tie feet this year.

I wonder if the blood can be added to compost?

Its standard practice for anyone rearing poultry to kill themselves.
    If you intend on doing more galvanised steel ones are pretty much everlasting.
    You can put hay or straw under the cone to catch the blood, works well as compost. There will be a good bit of it.
    This way you don't get bruised and broken wings etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Gut, Pluck and chill.

Should the bird be hung for a while before gutting - like game birds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i always hang mine for 5 days or so, im killing next saturday and hanging until next wednesday evening or thursday morning then gutting

Should the bird be hung for a while before gutting - like game birds?

I never bothered TBH the size of turkeys makes chilling them hard unless you gut them.
    Adds no flavour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its standard practice for anyone rearing poultry to kill themselves.
    If you intend on doing more galvanised steel ones are pretty much everlasting.
    You can put hay or straw under the cone to catch the blood, works well as compost. There will be a good bit of it.
    This way you don't get bruised and broken wings etc.

The galvanised cone and straw is a great idea idea thanks CJ. Yes will definitely repeat next year, and anyone who has the space, the turkeys are a great sight around the garden. Mind you doesn't take too long befor ethe grass begins to deteriorate. Anyways some minor damage is a small price.

Brings the whole GYO (grow your own) to a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

turkeys are great and very easy to keep, mine are working out around 15 euro each to buy and fatten, not bad since the biggest is near 27lb, saturday is there culling date

Advertisement