Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFV - need to level up much?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Finally got my hands on this game. Since its one of the snes ff games is there anything i should know before playing it?...like i need to level up like crazy in every area i go to. I know the older ones can be a bit trickier than VII onwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

is the same to FF4 as i can recall :P

tradisional FF/Jrpg works in the way like this - if you didnt go do any extra level up + you didnt escape any battle you encounter,you will be just fine to get through all the main storyline missions.extra bit of level up usually make the game easier and usually the hidden powerful boss needs you to grind mad to kill it. JRPG dont let you to set to Easy/normal/hard mode is because they included all of these Easy/normal/hard mode in game already.

ah,the beauty of the balanceness in old school RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should be fine. From FFIV onwards no levelling up is needed but it definitely isn't the cakewalk FFVII is. The battle system is excellent because of the job system that you can mess around with. The game actively encourages you to break it which is part of the fun. One thing to note about the end game. As you level up different classes level your base stats in different ways but these disappear unless youare in the class that gained them. The exception to this is the base class (squire I think). It starts off weak but by the end game it'sthe strongest class because all the sat bonuses you got from each class are added up and added together for the squire class. You can also choose 4 instead of 2 job abilities. When you face the final boss you may have trouble so change everyone to squire class, equip the job abilities you want and go kick it's ass. No point doing this for the other bosses since the AP is usually very high for these. This tip is essential if you want to power level and beat the two optional bosses.

or get tonnes of money and change the whole team to the money-thrower job class:Pown the final boss with your money!awesome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Thanks for the tip guys...im just glad i dont have to spend ages just leveling up, ive heard nightmare stories about FFI and II :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF1 is a real grindfest and FF2 has one of the worst levelling up systems that kills the game. It's one of the worst games ever.

• Advertisement

FF2, is that the one where you can level down?

ha!i never get my hands on FF1,2,3 :P altho i think i must have the roms somewhere else...

carbonkid wrote: »
    FF2, is that the one where you can level down?

Yes and the best way to level up is to select attack then cancel out of it and keep doing this because even if you don't follow through and attack an enemy you still get the experience. And the best way to raise HP is to beat the **** out of your own characters.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes and the best way to level up is to select attack then cancel out of it and keep doing this because even if you don't follow through and attack an enemy you still get the experience. And the best way to raise HP is to beat the **** out of your own characters.

That doesnt sound like alot of fun...am i better off just avoiding I and II altogether? My plan was to keep making my way down till i played em all. Havnt played a bad FF game yet.

1, 2 and 3 are very archaic and even the remake of FF3 is very old school. FF1 is beatable but you'll have to do loads of grinding. FF2, just don't bother, it's not worth it. It's the only one I couldn't finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

hmm... FF5, how did that go again? I believe I'm mixing it up with 4

This is the one with Bartz and the four element crystals. Im couple of hours into this and have to say...great game.

My characters are leveling up just nicely, simple but effect story and the job/ability system is as good as FFIX if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

ahh.. now i remember, I enjoyed that one!
    excellent powering up system.

Advertisement