Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trigger mass emigration??

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Following on from today's budget, do you think that the cuts made (particularly to the job seekers allowance) will trigger further emigration? I was just watching Prime Time, where it was claimed that the budget will do just that. So has anyone here finally been pushed into leaving this country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

No more than what is already happening. All young people I know who cant get jobs have left already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Yeah a lot of my friends have left too, but I know a few unemployed people who were on the brink of leaving before this budget, so I presume many of those people are now left with little reason to stay..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Depends there have to be jobs to go to and a lot of places that we Irish have emigrated to in the past do not have jobs available at the moment. I don't think PS workers will be leaving in droves in a lot of cases they are still paid more than their equivalent jobs in other EU countries.

The people who will be leaving are the newly graduated University years or the unemployed with skills that are in demand in other economies. People in reality a so-called "knowledge economy" like ours can ill afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Of my class in college, most are gone back to study masters because of lack of work(and admittedly no better off after masters) and the rest are travelling. I'm doing a post-grad abroad. Many people who didn't go to college have also left my home town town and as the jobs dwindle I've met loads more who are planning to leave Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Emigration is abundant as is, those that had the cash, means & qualification are already gone. Who can blame a person for wanting a life..

Like Alessandra stated, people returned to uni / college etc for further education as no other options existed. These people will qualify & guess what...There will be No jobs for them STILL so these even more educated people will be leaving Ireland in droves.
    This country has far from seen the worst yet in my opin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Emigrate to where?

Canada & Australia - closed borders that pick and choose as needed plus employment opportunities not an absolute land of milk and honey.

US - disaster zone, immigration impossible, job situation as bad a here, no social floor

Britian - almost as bad as here, a few jobs on the London olympics

Nordic - some jobs in tech and oil

Middle East - screwed still some opportunities in Abu Dhabi Dubai sunk

Western Europe - a mixed bag with some jobs in Holland, Spain disaster, France long term issues, Germany never an Irish emmigration country

Eastern Europe - Poland not booming as claimed know a few who went home and came back to Ireland, desperate wages. Czech same, rest a disaster ....

Asia - some skilled jobs in tech language issues

The old emmigration pressure valve is just not their for unskilled labour there is a Global downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Yeah I am moving to London at the end of January, can't see Ireland picking up for the next ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

It would be useful to consider the emigration levels in countries which compete with Ireland, such as the UK.

260.gif
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260
    The number of people leaving the UK for 12 months or more reached a record high in 2008, with an estimated 427,000 people emigrating. This was up from 341,000 in 2007 and 398,000 in 2006. This rise was as a result of a 50 per cent increase in
    non-British citizens emigrating from 169,000 in 2007 to 255,000 in 2008. Just over half of the 86,000 increase were citizens of the
    A8 Accession countries which joined the EU in 2004.

An estimated 590,000 people arrived to live in the UK in 2008, the second highest figure on record after 596,000 in 2006. This compared with 574,000 in 2007 and represents a continuation of the level of immigration seen since 2004. Of all immigrants 505,000 (86 per cent) were non-British citizens in 2008.

Net migration, the difference between immigration and emigration, decreased from 233,000 in 2007 to 163,000 as a result of increased emigration.

There has been a large increase in the number of people emigrating for work related reasons, particularly those with a definite job to go to. In 2008 an estimated 136,000 people emigrated from the UK to take up a definite job, compared with 100,000 in 2007.

The International Passenger Survey (IPS) is the main component of these Long-Term International Migration estimates. IPS estimates allow a more detailed analysis of the characteristics of international migrants. This reveals that the increase in emigration of non-British citizens was most notable in the 25 to 44 age group, consistent with higher numbers of people emigrating for work related reasons. The IPS shows an increase in the number of non-British citizens leaving the UK to take up a definite job – up from 45,000 in 2007 to 62,000 in 2008.
    IPS estimates also show that Poland was the most popular country of next residence for non-British emigrants in 2008, with 50,000 people migrating there.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    It would be useful to consider the emigration levels in countries which compete with Ireland, such as the UK.

Yeah, but I have already done my UK tax exams and am waiting on my results. The way I am looking at it is there is bound to be a more realistic chance of getting 'decent' work over the coming years in England than in Ireland. The companies I want to work in here(Ireland) are having a recruitment freeze and are letting staff go.

Its worth a go and if worst comes to worse I will come home and try and get a Job in Belfast. I lived in London for a few months and have my National Insurance number, bank account set up etc..

It would be interesting to see the calibre of the person emigrating from England, I would say a vast quantity of them are from Pakistan etc.. who will always find it very difficult to get work no matter if England is in a recession or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Go north,Thats where the civil service go,There must be something up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Very much doubt it.

As has been mentioned above; there is effectively nowhere to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

If you do leave you'll be doing well to land in a country you'll be better off in. There's problems everywhere.

Well it has to be better than what I am at these days. Online until 6 or so in the morning. Sleep in late. Try and get work to no avail then Gym and then back online.

I got six job rejections last week, five in one day - its hard to stay positive. I can't bring myself to work menial jobs either, might have to bite the bullet in that regard two, but there is not even many of those jobs either these days. Am only 23 and I don't want to fall into the forgotten decade which will happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

dustyrip wrote: »
    I can't bring myself to work menial jobs either, might have to bite the bullet in that regard two, but there is not even many of those jobs either these days.

Don't mean to sound harsh but thats a **** or get off the pot scenario. Tough it out with the menial job in the hope things come good or take a chance and go abroad. The longer you procrastinate about it the less it'll be in your hands.

cson wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound harsh but thats a **** or get off the pot scenario. Tough it out with the menial job in the hope things come good or take a chance and go abroad. The longer you procrastinate about it the less it'll be in your hands.

I will be going abroad if I get my exams. I don't think with a degree and 2 years of studying for professional exams I should be asking someone whether they would like their sandwich cut in half. I would find it very hard to do menial jobs, but it might have to be the case for a while. As I said these Jobs aren't easy to come by either. If you see a shop advertising let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

Well it has to be better than what I am at these days. Online until 6 or so in the morning. Sleep in late. Try and get work to no avail then Gym and then back online.

I got six job rejections last week, five in one day - its hard to stay positive. I can't bring myself to work menial jobs either, might have to bite the bullet in that regard two, but there is not even many of those jobs either these days. Am only 23 and I don't want to fall into the forgotten decade which will happen here.

In 1984 I had 26 rejections over an 8 week period. These were the ones that bothered to reply out of 50 or so requests all nicely typewritten. One person replied on my own letter with all of the grammar mistakes corrected.

I saved each of those rejections, and I'm glad I did.

It was a useful a reminder of how things used to be in Ireland in that half forgotten time.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

This isn't the first recession know to human kind, it will get better, and people will recover.

I will be going abroad if I get my exams. I don't think with a degree and 2 years of studying for professional exams I should be asking someone whether they would like their sandwich cut in half. I would find it very hard to do menial jobs, but it might have to be the case for a while. As I said these Jobs aren't easy to come by either. If you see a shop advertising let me know...

I'm a Financial Analyst with all the lovely degrees to go with it, but I was once a cleaner, that's how it goes, you do what you have to. ;)

In 1984 I had 26 rejections over an 8 week period. These were the ones that bothered to reply out of 50 or so requests all nicely typewritten. One person replied on my own letter with all of the grammar mistakes corrected.

I saved each of those rejections, and I'm glad I did.

It was a useful a reminder of how things used to be in Ireland in that half forgotten time.

If I am honest I didn't appreciate my job which I had when I came out of college as life was going two handy for me, i.e. I just walked into a decent job.

If I get a job in the future I will be a better employee and I have defiently grown up a lot in the past year over the whole recession/world crisis/loosing job etc. Its given me a better value for money anyway.

All my rejections are coming via email so they will be easier to save!! I know some companies aren't even hiring so I am not going to be two hard on myself..very boring being out of work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree with Gandalf and others.

Having Migrated I know its not just a case of getting the boat anymore. During the gap in recessions countries like India started upskilling. There is a huge amount of people out there with the ability to work anywhere.

Emigration is not the pressure valve is was in the 1980's. Plus in a Knowledge based economy which is the only hope we have left, we cant afford to lose the people we spent so much training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blackmoustache

Seriously thinking of getting out of the country for a bit. I'm just out of college and there's nothing. I'm sick of being skint all the time. The dole is just enough to get by on and I really pity anyone trying to look after a family or pay a morgage on it. My brothers had to emigrate for a while in the early 90's before coming home and now they've both had to leave again. Never thought I'd have to seriously consider it myself. I'd gladly take a menial job if it could keep me at home near my girlfriend, friends and parents until things pick up. A mate of mine got work in London fairly easily so I might head there. Ryanair are going to make a killing. Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I will be going abroad if I get my exams. I don't think with a degree and 2 years of studying for professional exams I should be asking someone whether they would like their sandwich cut in half.

You are right. Does not change the fact you will have to do it if nothing comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Following on from today's budget, do you think that the cuts made (particularly to the job seekers allowance) will trigger further emigration?
    Not if there are jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Emigrate to where?

Canada & Australia - closed borders that pick and choose as needed plus employment opportunities not an absolute land of milk and honey.

I'm moving to Canada in '10, IT Professional, Qualified, 6 years experience, have had a few offers already.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm moving to Canada in '10, IT Professional, Qualified, 6 years experience, have had a few offers already.

Yep if you have the qualifications they are looking for Canada is a great place to go. I have friends who are married who moved there and are flourishing in Vancouver and love the place.

Good luck with the move (send a few bob home please !!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Good for you, best of luck and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We are heading to Australia hopefully next year, it has been one of the worst emotional rollercoasters we've been on and if we'd known what we would be put through we would have headed for Canada instead tbh. We've been in the system nearly 2 years now but we are finally being processed.

There's nothing here for us anymore and won't be for the forseeable future, also according to some on this forum we are sponges as my (skilled) partner can't get a job......we only want to work and have a decent life for our kids. We love Ireland and we'll miss our family but we know we've made the right decision.

Before anyone says "Australia are in a recession too etc etc" I'm fully aware of their situation and oh has a job waiting for him when we arrive. We are going to miss Ireland though, and family especially but my kids come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

I spent most of the last 22 years since I left school, living overseas. Greece, Israel, Aussie and Norway. All good and I'm the better for it, I'd say. Moved back here 4 years ago.
    You'll be fine. Enjoy it. Make the most of it. Its not a prison sentence. Its a new start in a fine country.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

yes we are looking forward to it, its very scary to move lock stock to the other side of the planet but we both did whvs so we know what we are heading for.

I think a few years in sunny Queensland is just what the doctor ordered :cool:

• Advertisement

Best of luck :)

Advertisement