Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trigger mass emigration??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

yes we are looking forward to it, its very scary to move lock stock to the other side of the planet but we both did whvs so we know what we are heading for.

I think a few years in sunny Queensland is just what the doctor ordered :cool:

I was 7 years in Australia. Lived on Northern NSW coast (on the proper side of the NSW/QLD border ;)). Still own my house there so leaving wasn't so bad as I'll end up there in my later years, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've spent just over 2 years in Germany and due to move back to Dublin next week.

There are a huge amount of people that see other countries as having greener grass but don't cod yourself. Its not all as rosy as you might think. When it comes down to it every country has its problems, recession or not. Its going to be what you make it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Question...why are so many young Irish leaving but not the east europeans, Nigerians etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Dai John wrote: »
    Question...why are so many young Irish leaving but not the east europeans, Nigerians etc ?

they have more loyalty to the country maby :confused:

not the answer you wanted :pac:

Thats what is happening, is it? Are you sure? Really sure? Positive even?

Baltic and Eastern European immigrants, for example, are not declining in numbers and those already here are staying? And all the while, theis new phenomenon of "Young Irish" buggering off for ever and ever too . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Afternoon all. :)

My destination will be either Canada or Qatar.

Incidently, my potential employer have asked for me to move over to Doha immediately should they want to take me on, as in before Christmas!!!!

It sounds ridiculous and they'll be hard pressed to find anyone who'll do that.

It's a good opportunity though and I'd hate to think it'll fall flat on it's face because of this requirement.

Any advice would be great, Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

How come you didnt ask why not the western europeans, americans, canadians, australians, south africans etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

Emigrate to where?

Canada & Australia - closed borders that pick and choose as needed plus employment opportunities not an absolute land of milk and honey.

US - disaster zone, immigration impossible, job situation as bad a here, no social floor

Britian - almost as bad as here, a few jobs on the London olympics

Nordic - some jobs in tech and oil

Middle East - screwed still some opportunities in Abu Dhabi Dubai sunk

Western Europe - a mixed bag with some jobs in Holland, Spain disaster, France long term issues, Germany never an Irish emmigration country

Eastern Europe - Poland not booming as claimed know a few who went home and came back to Ireland, desperate wages. Czech same, rest a disaster ....

Asia - some skilled jobs in tech language issues

The old emmigration pressure valve is just not their for unskilled labour there is a Global downturn.

Interesting brief concise World overview;

Good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    Following on from today's budget, do you think that the cuts made (particularly to the job seekers allowance) will trigger further emigration? I was just watching Prime Time, where it was claimed that the budget will do just that. So has anyone here finally been pushed into leaving this country?

If they can afford to leave the country with enough money for set up costs, flights, visa's etc then they have enough savings to last them awhile staying in Ireland...

When i went to Canada last year cost me over 2,500 for visa's flights' first month accom and looking for a job...

Emigrate to where?

Canada & Australia - closed borders that pick and choose as needed plus employment opportunities not an absolute land of milk and honey.

US - disaster zone, immigration impossible, job situation as bad a here, no social floor

Western Europe - a mixed bag with some jobs in Holland, Spain disaster, France long term issues, Germany never an Irish emmigration country

Eastern Europe - Poland not booming as claimed know a few who went home and came back to Ireland, desperate wages. Czech same, rest a disaster ....

You forgot . . .
    "Ireland - Dairy farming and Irish dancing lessons" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

dustyrip wrote: »
    I should be asking someone whether they would like their sandwich cut in half. I would find it very hard to do menial jobs, but it might have to be the case for a while. As I said these Jobs aren't easy to come by either. If you see a shop advertising let me know...

Take what you can get.. At least your working and thinks it stands to you better on your CV..

When i came back from travelling there were no jobs.. I finally managed to pick up some part time hours in Tesco.. grin and bared it for 3 months kept applying for jobs.. Bam now a network engineer...

Although when i was in Tesco i was taking home less than the dole.. but felt better and more positive about myself and situations..

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Take what you can get.. At least your working and thinks it stands to you better on your CV..

When i came back from travelling there were no jobs.. I finally managed to pick up some part time hours in Tesco.. grin and bared it for 3 months kept applying for jobs.. Bam now a network engineer...

Although when i was in Tesco i was taking home less than the dole.. but felt better and more positive about myself and situations..

Getting part time work in Tesco nowadays is pretty much impossible.

For example,I applied for part-time Christmas positions in Gamestop and HMV, rejected for both of them, overqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've already had to leave for the short term. There's work in the UK if you've got some experience.

Would I make the move long-term? Well, there's definitely demand over here for my skillset and some parts of the UK are quite nice but my family situation at home just doesn't give me the freedom to do this long-term.

It would be interesting to see the calibre of the person emigrating from England, I would say a vast quantity of them are from Pakistan etc.. who will always find it very difficult to get work no matter if England is in a recession or not.

Narrow minded anyone :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

I spent a grand total of 2 weeks unemployed here this September and now have 2 jobs. Plenty of jobs in the South East if you are open-minded and motivated - maybe not graduate specific but still jobs. There's a shortage of bar managers all across London (not what I work at though). Whereas last time I was home I could literally count the number of all jobs in the local paper - and most of those were probably taken already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

England at the moment has jobs going, many are just child minding and building but one of the main differences over there is that there is an unimaginable amount of part time courses that can be done so that when/if the good times return they will have the skilled workforce needed.
    Here there is nowhere near the level of support for unemployed. I bet there are people on the dole now who have massive experience that could be using it to teach others so they 1) don't get bored and despondent and 2) pass on a skill

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greengrocer

If I am honest I didn't appreciate my job which I had when I came out of college as life was going two handy for me, i.e. I just walked into a decent job.

If I get a job in the future I will be a better employee and I have defiently grown up a lot in the past year over the whole recession/world crisis/loosing job etc. Its given me a better value for money anyway.

All my rejections are coming via email so they will be easier to save!! I know some companies aren't even hiring so I am not going to be two hard on myself..very boring being out of work though.

I may come across as an a**hole, but as someone who plays an active role in recruitment, I would like to give some constructive criticism.

1) I would hope your CV and cover letters are better constructed than your posts. Spelling and grammatical errors put you on the back foot instantly.
    2) Don't hang around and wait for a rejection e-mail to eventually come your way. Once your application is in, put a call into the company and try whatever it takes to get talking to the relevant person (and go as far up the food chain as possible). It's tough times for job-hunters, so employers are looking for hunger and resourcefulness as a minimum. If they aren't going to have you in for interview, let the MD or HR manager explain why over the phone instead of receiving the generic e-mail.

My company is currently looking to fill a solitary (well-paid) graduate position and I'm bemused at the lack of hunger and preparation shown by candidates. The presentation of most CVs has been poor to say the least and nobody follows up with a call.

I don't enjoy saying this about my own generation, but I think we're soft and this reality shock was badly needed.

If the Irish market genuinely presents no opportunities for you, then assess your options within the single European labour market and beyond. While the present jobs situation is bleak worldwide, don't resign yourself to a bleak future. The combination of ambition, enthusiasm, fluent English and Irish charm should get your foot in a lot of doors. The Irish social welfare system remains generous IMHO, so take advantage - learn a language, hone your existing skills, do whatever is required. Just don't stay idle.

It's time for this generation to show some strength of character!

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I am leaving Ireland on 1 January, I have very fortunately been offered a good job in London. My decision had been made and flight booked before the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm bemused at the lack of hunger and preparation shown by candidates. The presentation of most CVs has been poor to say the least and nobody follows up with a call.

It's time for this generation to show some strength of character!

Sound words of advice greengrocer but repeatedly being rejected after dozens of job applications is going to take its motivational toll on almost anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

i imagine london is just like paris in that the activity is so great a downturn may not be that noticeable. i read new york was bucking the trend and hadnt experienced that much of a dowturn. the common theme all massive cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Moved to London in September to do a masters, got a part time job with it no problem. I'd like to come back to Ireland to live eventually, but I don't think I will be any time soon. Which is ****. But, at the same time, I'm happy enough that I get the chance to live in different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Emigrate to where?

Tell this to 50 million Irish out there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 amc1977

There are opportunities in Ireland especially for those who are willing to take on risk and start their own company. I started my own company earlier this year and have to say that this was the best decision that I have ever taken in my life.There is so much support out there from various government agencies that goes beyond financial support. In 2010 we are on course to employ an additional 10 people.

The job market at present(not just in Ireland) is favouring the employer and they will no doubt impose more cost cutting measures throughout 2010. We badly need new companies that will create employment and need people who are willing to take a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

If I am honest I didn't appreciate my job which I had when I came out of college as life was going two handy for me, i.e. I just walked into a decent job.

If I get a job in the future I will be a better employee and I have defiently grown up a lot in the past year over the whole recession/world crisis/loosing job etc. Its given me a better value for money anyway.

All my rejections are coming via email so they will be easier to save!! I know some companies aren't even hiring so I am not going to be two hard on myself..very boring being out of work though.

Eh, start by sorting out your spelling and grammar. "Two hard", ffs, most people in "menial" jobs could handle that much.

edit; sorry for being harsh but you were looking down your nose at menial jobs earlier. I know for a fact I'd throw your cv in the bin without a second look, even for a deli counter job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I may come across as an a**hole, but as someone who plays an active role in recruitment, I would like to give some constructive criticism.

1) I would hope your CV and cover letters are better constructed than your posts. Spelling and grammatical errors put you on the back foot instantly.
    2) Don't hang around and wait for a rejection e-mail to eventually come your way. Once your application is in, put a call into the company and try whatever it takes to get talking to the relevant person (and go as far up the food chain as possible). It's tough times for job-hunters, so employers are looking for hunger and resourcefulness as a minimum. If they aren't going to have you in for interview, let the MD or HR manager explain why over the phone instead of receiving the generic e-mail
    Best of Luck!

This is how I managed to secure a new job just when i was just about to be made redundant. I stuck my neck out and went straight to the director of the department no less, passing several layers of management. The way i saw it i had nothing left to loose and managed to keep myself in a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Yes Greengrocer you do come across like that, but most people in recruitment behave in that manner so it dosen't matter. I suppose you have loads of "exciting opportunities" for graduates??

Sorry about my spelling and grammer, I didn't realise boards.ie was such a formal site.

Eh, start by sorting out your spelling and grammar. "Two hard", ffs, most people in "menial" jobs could handle that much.

edit; sorry for being harsh but you were looking down your nose at menial jobs earlier. I know for a fact I'd throw your cv in the bin without a second look, even for a deli counter job.

What's your job, out of interest?

Dusty, I'm doing a Masters at the moment. But I've done plenty of the menial jobs that you think you're above. The idea of a dimwit like you actually thinking you're too good for the jobs I've done (and still do, to fund my course) is quite amusing.

Dusty, I'm doing a Masters at the moment. But I've done plenty of the menial jobs that you think you're above. The idea of a dimwit like you actually thinking you're too good for the jobs I've done (and still do, to fund my course) is quite amusing.

Whats it a masters in?

• Advertisement

This course.

The prospects are grim but hey, at least I can do menial work if the worst comes to the worst.

Advertisement