Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trigger mass emigration??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Computer related so....One of my friends did Computer Applications in Dcu and he never got a job once in graduated.

Yeah your right you can do the menial work if worst comes to worse, a lot of people not just me find it hard to do work like this after years in college etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

To be honest Dustyrip you are coming across as someone who wants it laid out on a plate. If that is your attitude and if its replicated on a paper CV or an interview than you will be a long time looking. It is time to pull up the socks. If you hate being out of work so much than do something about it.
    Do a short course, learn a language etc...

When I came to NZ I had nothing, no job, no friends a bit of money to keep me going. I left a permanent job back home. Started to look for IT work but none was around at the time. I have a B.Sc and a M.Sc to my name plus CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, MCDBA and countless other certs. Close to 5 years experience too. When the weeks were passing and I wasn't getting anywhere I had to think of plan B. This took me about 6 weeks to realise.

I contacted people I knew about work as a garbage collector. Even PM'd someone on boards about work looking after kids (and I am not the kids type but was willing to consider it!!!).

I took a minimum wage job packing shampoo into boxes. I FCUKING HATED it!!! After a few days though with a bit of networking I got a slightly better job on a service desk. Not an IT job but something a little more interesting that I wouldn't mind doing for a few months. It was me, a middle 20's guy and 12 other women most of them old enough to be my mother in the first day of training. It doesn't matter, it paid the bills for a bit and I got on with it, always looking for the next opportunity.

A few weeks later I got a temp IT job with a really good Fortune 500 IT company. 10 month contract only but I told myself I will put my head down, do my best, learn as much and get on with it and see where it comes to.

This was about 10 months ago. Next week I should be putting pen to paper on a Full-Time permanent position in Sydney with all the perks (health care, pension, mobile, laptop, BB, paying for my 4 year visa and 1st month accommodation!!) for said company with more money than I was earning at home.

You CAN do it but its ALL about attitude and what you make of it. I agree luck plays apart sometimes but you got to be playing the game to be lucky! You have to be out and about and seen to be lucky.

I realize I was lucky but I wasn't lucky by staying on the internet until 6:00 and feeling sorry for myself. When I applied for a job I always rang up a few days later to see if they received it and ask for an update. I customized my CV for each job tailoring for what they needed not lying mind just emphasizing your skills with their requirements. These little things you do when you are motivated to find that job.

Stop whinging and take up a job ANY job you can find! If its in a deli for 15 hours a week than so be it as something better will come along.

Remember, nobody owes you anything and the sad fact is it is only now you are realising that.

This can be said for alot of graduates too by the way who expect after doing their 4year stint in Uni that well paid good jobs are just waiting for them. This is the real world I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Steeplechase

dustyrip wrote: »
    Computer related so....One of my friends did Computer Applications in Dcu and he never got a job once in graduated.

Yeah your right you can do the menial work if worst comes to worse, a lot of people not just me find it hard to do work like this after years in college etc..

Sorry, I have pangs of regret after ripping into you. Spelling mistakes do not make you thick. I just feel that people (especially new graduates) over the last few years really have this totally skewed sense of entitlement.

My brother is a solicitor, he qualified over a year ago. He's after working for 12 months for no pay, but now is going to have to look for any old job to keep himself going. Thousands of people are in that boat.

This country is a wasteland. People in jobs are blessed. Seriously, don't ever look down on a **** job. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greengrocer

dustyrip wrote: »
    Yes Greengrocer you do come across like that, but most people in recruitment behave in that manner so it dosen't matter. I suppose you have loads of "exciting opportunities" for graduates??

Sorry about my spelling and grammer, I didn't realise boards.ie was such a formal site.

First, I'm not 'in recruitment', I'm an employee of a small firm that involves himself in the recruitment of graduates. I was simply relaying my recent experiences in the hope that it may give guidance to you and other job-hunters.

Second, I would regard any "opportunity" at present to be more "exciting" than being idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

Sorry, I have pangs of regret after ripping into you. Spelling mistakes do not make you thick. I just feel that people (especially new graduates) over the last few years really have this totally skewed sense of entitlement.

Absolutly spot on, I took a few years out from university recently and worked for a bit, lost my job in March so said now is the time to return to study as I had no real qualifications. My friends who have graduated are either taking a masters in the subject or they are lazing around on the couch waiting for a job offer to fall on their lap.
    Most will leave the country saying that you couldnt find a job if you tried, or stay on the dole because until now everything was done and none has even the slightest initiative. There is no sense of "Hey I am an accountant/scientist/teacher... I am going to make this work and get myself out there" We were given the world but we want more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have a possible contentious comment - is it not better for the economy that people are emigrating?

In the short term, it means fewer unemployed, fewer people on welfare and fighting for the same jobs/training courses. In the medium term, they will return with work experience and ready to settle, instead of working 2 or 3 years out of college then leaving to travel.

Or am I missing a trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

amc1977 wrote: »
    There are opportunities in Ireland especially for those who are willing to take on risk and start their own company.
    Not to put a downer on it, but right now is possibly the worst time imaginable to be taking risks like starting a small company. I've seen dozens appear and fold up over the last two years, and thats just my personal experience. If its worked out for you fair play, but a big shiny caveat emptor to others.
    amc1977 wrote: »
    There is so much support out there from various government agencies that goes beyond financial support.
    Can you tell us the kind of support you received, and from where?

Dickerty wrote: »
    I have a possible contentious comment - is it not better for the economy that people are emigrating?
    In no way is it good for the economy, the qualified and capable graduates who leave the country represent a serious loss to the nation and the economy, both present and future.
    n the short term, it means fewer unemployed, fewer people on welfare and fighting for the same jobs/training courses.
    Hows that, we have open labour markets and welfare agreements with much larger and poorer countries, and as badly off as we are, pay and conditions are still far superior to most of Eastern Europe.
    In the medium term, they will return with work experience and ready to settle, instead of working 2 or 3 years out of college then leaving to travel.
    They will stay gone, and who could blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    In no way is it good for the economy, the qualified and capable graduates who leave the country represent a serious loss to the nation and the economy, both present and future.

How is it as loss if we cannot employ them? What use is an unemployed grad, at the time they are unemployed? Their qualifications are worthless at that stage, and if they are qualified in an area that is not creating jobs, then where is the benefit in keeping them?
    Hows that, we have open labour markets and welfare agreements with much larger and poorer countries, and as badly off as we are, pay and conditions are still far superior to most of Eastern Europe.

Yes, but people are not going to move here for the welfare. If they move here for jobs, then it is fair competition, and if these grads are so good, they will get those jobs.

If Irish people are leaving and jobs are being taken by immigrants from poorer countries, then that is the open market in action.
    They will stay gone, and who could blame them.

Not necessarily. If the stay gone, then these are the type of people who would have wanted to travel anyway. This has just speeded up the process. I have seen a hundred grads start a job from college, give us 2 years or so, then go travelling. The impact is the same.

How is it as loss if we cannot employ them? What use is an unemployed grad, at the time they are unemployed? Their qualifications are worthless at that stage, and if they are qualified in an area that is not creating jobs, then where is the benefit in keeping them?
    So how exactly are we meant to get the country out of the hole its in, create new jobs, and have people fill those jobs, if those people are all gone? The cycle of emigration takes the young and motivated and gets them building someone else's country - does that seem like a good idea, economically?
    Yes, but people are not going to move here for the welfare. If they move here for jobs, then it is fair competition, and if these grads are so good, they will get those jobs.
    We have some of the best welfare in Europe, so its quite likely that people will move here knowing that net is available. As for fair competition, opening the labour market to countries ten times our size and much poorer isn't fair competition, since the wages earned here go much further back home - and thats exactly where those wages go. Is it not enough that the MNCs are repatriating their profits, you want the workers in the factories to be sending their money out of the economy as well?

The altar of laissez faire economics is not something to sacrifice the best and brightest on, especially since it doesn't help our economy.
    Not necessarily. If the stay gone, then these are the type of people who would have wanted to travel anyway.
    Its not travel, its not a working holiday, and its not work experience. Emigration is being forced away from your friends, home and family in order to survive. Comparing it to a jaunt around Australia for the craic of it is misleading at the minimum. The experience is harsh and unforgiving, going hat in hand to another country because the clowns in charge of your own forced you out, and those forced to leave won't be forgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

In the short term, it means fewer unemployed, fewer people on welfare and fighting for the same jobs/training courses. In the medium term, they will return with work experience and ready to settle, instead of working 2 or 3 years out of college then leaving to travel.

Or am I missing a trick?

In the medium term the people who emigrate won't return. By the time this economy picks up and there are jobs for them to return to, they'll have settled in a new country, have a good job and probably have a family and a mortgage. Why would they want to up sticks and come back here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

ghost_ie wrote: »
    ... Why would they want to up sticks and come back here?

Because people get homesick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Maccattack wrote: »
    Because people get homesick.

Why would I get homesick for a country thats treated me like crap.
    Im happy to be leaving and will not be coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Why would I get homesick for a country thats treated me like crap.
    Im happy to be leaving and will not be coming back.

Everyone gets homesick, especially when they realise the grass isn't always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Ive lived abroad for extended periods abroad before, nerver wanted to come back.Only reason I came back was due to a family issue, been here for a year and a bit and cant wait to get out of here again, in the while Ive been here Ive managed to become unemplyed my heath has deteriorated Ive lost all sembelece of a standard of living, and the grass is greener abroad for my personal situation. Much much greener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

this is my first time living in ireland but i would have been here a lot because of family. i think ireland is good, but im still in school. maby it gets crap once you leave idk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Everyone gets homesick, especially when they realise the grass isn't always greener.

That is/was the traditional view of the "Irish" abroad.

One of the best examples of this I ever heard was an old RTE Radio interview with Pat "Kentucky Fried Chicken" Grace who described the lonliness of his emigration to firstly the UK and finally the USA.

In those times we relied heavily on the "Traditional" methods of securing work usually with "our own kind" and I suggest that that was a major restrictive element in our effprts to succeed.

It`s also worth considering just how "well" many of the wealthier influential Irish did treat their fellow countrymen.
    I would suggest that this is an area where a historical review might just turn up some interesting accounts.

This time round we are a far different species with access to a far greater amount of independent communication means such as e-mail,mobile phone and skype technologies.

The Global Village really is upon us and many modern Irish are fully capable of living in it !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tudlytops wrote: »
    This isn't the first recession know to human kind, it will get better, and people will recover.

Burn him, he's a witch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Lived in NY for 6 years and never wanted to come back but was forced due to family reasons. I just can't see why a young person would want to stay in this country in it's present state. The goverment obviousley does'nt want them here and won't for many years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

ye tbh im deciding whether to go back home and study or stay and go to college here. will have to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I had one of those yesterday where I bumped into about 10 people I hadn't seen in years. Some old work friends. Every single one of them to a man was currently unemployed and the guys who were young enough and didn't have families were all in the process of going to different places around the globe (Aus mainly in the hope of getting sponsored beyond there WHV). None expressed a desire to come back. I really think we may be seeing an exodus.

population wrote: »
    I had one of those yesterday where I bumped into about 10 people I hadn't seen in years. Some old work friends. Every single one of them to a man was currently unemployed.....

Were all these people working in similar industries ? Construction or retail perhaps ? Just wondering as it's a bit unusual for 10 people one would bump into to all be out of work. Since the recession hit I know only three people who are unemployed, one was an engineer who was working with an agency as a member of their staff (never an ideal situation, as soon as the project finished he was let go surprisingly enough), another was a van driver and the third worked for a company that sold hydraulic hoses and whatnot that has gone bust. My circle of associated would encompass engineers, vets, insurance assessors, accountants real estate folk (still working amazingly enough and very busy with rentals apparently) and office staff in the private sector as well as self employed engineers and retail workers. Everyone is quite nervous about the economic climate but meeting 10 people that are out of work in a row is hardly reflective of the actual situation out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Not really, read on...
    In the short term, it means fewer unemployed, fewer people on welfare and fighting for the same jobs/training courses.

This much is true.

In the medium term, they will return with work experience and ready to settle, instead of working 2 or 3 years out of college then leaving to travel.

This probably won't be the case. People once set up in a different country won't be in a hurry to come back here again. A quick mental image of the way this country is run will quickly knock any homesickness on the head.

And in the Long term it will mess up our demographic structure as it will be the 18-40 age group who will be emigrating. This will give our society a less youthful structure and eventually you will have too few people working to support all those on a pension (and servicing the country). This process is happening anyway, but an emigration scenario will make it worse.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Were all these people working in similar industries ? Construction or retail perhaps ? Just wondering as it's a bit unusual for 10 people one would bump into to all be out of work. Since the recession hit I know only three people who are unemployed, one was an engineer who was working with an agency as a member of their staff (never an ideal situation, as soon as the project finished he was let go surprisingly enough), another was a van driver and the third worked for a company that sold hydraulic hoses and whatnot that has gone bust. My circle of associated would encompass engineers, vets, insurance assessors, accountants real estate folk (still working amazingly enough and very busy with rentals apparently) and office staff in the private sector as well as self employed engineers and retail workers. Everyone is quite nervous about the economic climate but meeting 10 people that are out of work in a row is hardly reflective of the actual situation out there.

I said 'about' 10 and I was being deliberatley flip in the number. It was actually 6 in one day which was still quite alot and left an impression on me. Also I met a girl for lunch the next day who had been recently made redundant from am advertising company after 6 years there and she kinda got counted in what I was trying to say. I have worked in a few different industries myself and would associate with people from all walks but to break it down for you, 3 were electricians (met them all at the same place), 1 was a kitchen fitter, 1 worked in advertising, 1 was an accountant, and there was a manufacturing engineer as well.

I am not saying that this is a set in stone economic indicator, I am not saying that this means that there is 99% unemployment, I am merely saying that I had one of those days that left me with more than a sense of pathos when I realised everyone I had a casual chat with was now out of work.

I still stand by what I say though that people will leave en-masse if things do not improve

Daithinski wrote: »

This probably won't be the case. People once set up in a different country won't be in a hurry to come back here again. A quick mental image of the way this country is run will quickly knock any homesickness on the head.

And in the Long term it will mess up our demographic structure as it will be the 18-40 age group who will be emigrating. This will give our society a less youthful structure and eventually you will have too few people working to support all those on a pension (and servicing the country). This process is happening anyway, but an emigration scenario will make it worse.

Irish people do have a sentimental relationship with the 'oul sod' though whether we like to admit it or not. I would hazard that quite a few people will return if the country looks to be getting its act together and there is employment opportunities. However that is a big 'if'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

For graduates at least its not too bad, most of my friends wanted to travel anyway after college. The problem is, will we be out of this recession in a couple of years or will they just have to stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Yeah it probably will.....we export people, let's face it.

population wrote: »
    I said 'about' 10 and I was being deliberatley flip in the number. .................. 3 were electricians (met them all at the same place), 1 was a kitchen fitter,

Makes sense, it sounded like total rubbish :D Did you meet the sparks outside the dole office ?

Advertisement