Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare cuts for under 24s

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi all!!!
    does any1 know whether its only NEW applicants to be cut or all of us. im 21 in 2 weeks...i have just finished a 6 week fas course and made a repeat claim for jobseekers allowance...will i be classed as a new applicant or can i still claim the full amount...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

it's all applicants, unless you have a kid.

good luck with the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

it's all applicants

No, its not.

The €100 is for new applicants from january, if your already on it, assuming you havent turned down a job, you will get the usual 204 minus the levy and so it works out at €196

source: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/Budget/bud10/Documents/budfact10.pdf

OP, We're being told different things by different people.

So far it seems that it's just new claimants, and if you have already made a clame before, and then went on the FAS course, you should be OK. I'm on a FAS course that ends in mid-March (or thereabouts). It's a 13 week course.

Previous courses i have been on were 12 and 11 weeks, and when i signed back on after those courses i wasn't a new claimaing, but instead a "repeat claim", so I reckon you'll be fine (i hope so anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

I'm in the same boat. Just finished 7 weeks in FAS and have to await a form (like a p45) from them to sign on, hopefully i'm not lobbed into the new claim group.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Exact wording is:
    The full rate will be paid to those under 25 years of age if they participate in an approved training or education course.

Whether this applies to only during these courses/training or during and after isn't clear. The latter would be open to abuse (i.e. guys signing up for the minimum amount of training to secure the higher rate and so on) but it would reward those genuinely trying to upskill/retrain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OnlyTwoInter

I've been on the dole for four months now and i'm 22. I haven't done or been offered a FAS Course or turned down any job offers. Will my rate be affected (not withstanding the reduction to 196 Euros for all payments), or is it just for those applying post Jan 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

It's only for new applicants thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bugss

Hi, I completed my college degree in June(2009) and have since being unemployed, i am receipt of job seekers allowance and aged 23. at the moment i am getting the new year €196 payment. if I do an online ecollege course how will my welfare payment be effected? Anyone know? Thanks.

Advertisement