Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Tattoo - opinions please?

• 10-12-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there!

I was wondering what are people's thoughts on a phoenix tattoo? I have 4 others but they've all been very individualised, and I know that a phoenix rising from the flames isn't the most original idea in the world, but I want to get it to remind me of something personal. Feels a bit silly even asking this, but I really want it and I really dislike people who get tattoos that hundreds of others have got before them so Please be honest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Its a popular tattoo and everyone seems to like it, including me. If youre really going to get a phoenix you should make it your mission to have it as original as possible.. then NEVER show anyone :P jk.

Verdict: I like. Its not nearly as tacky as say.. solid black tribal, nautical (not punk ffs) stars and Gothic style surnames, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

if you like it, go for it!

i'm never going to walk into a tattoo studio and pick a bit of flash off the wall, but if other people do, it's their business.

of course, if someone posted on here saying they wanted a kanji that they picked off the wall that anyone else could have, i'd advise against it.

but you're getting a phoenix which can be made unique to you. cookie jar, who posts here, only got a phoenix done in november at the tattoo convention and it's gorgeous, i've never seen one like it.

head into a studio you like and explain to the artist that you want a custom drawn phoenix and i'm sure they'll come up with something that you'll love that no one else will have.

don't let anyone advise against something you'd love to get done! that being said, make sure it's what you definitely want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As the two wise folks above me said, if you're going to get a phoenix, get a unique one! Mine is a solid black phoenix, because I wanted something more masculine and aggressive looking than the usual phoenix tattoos that you see, and I wanted it to pretty much mirror the dragon that I have on the other side of my back!

Approach an artist whose work you like, and throw some ideas at them about what you'd like in your phoenix and I'm sure they'll draw you up something no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

Hey Firebird,

I reckon you should go for it. We all have our own personal bias and tastes, but as far as I am concerned, once you have thought about it, and once the work is done well, and you are happy with it then there is no right or wrong. Something like a phoenix can be done in so many ways (tribal and jap being the most obvious), so get researching some material...

I came across this image a while ago, can't remember where I saw it, but I was thinking of something similar in style to do a sleeve with, maybe some more Autumnal colouring and some maple leaves thrown in... I haven't seen too many as elaborate as this one before.

006.jpg

But like the guys were saying, talk to an artist, have a look at their previous work, and work with them to get a design you're happy with. The better artists will love doing original work, rather than a flash peice, and you will get something unique...

Anyways, I have rambled, hopefully you have gotten something from it and not just a headache! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 firebirdphoenix

Hey, thanks so much for all the opinions! I think I'm gonna go for it...I was thinking a half-sleeve - with colours similar to the photo posted by KevArno...thanks for that! Also, DamoElDiablo you're phoenix tattoo is awesome!!

Cheers guys!! :D

• Advertisement

Sounds good, make sure to post some pictures if/when you get it done. I'm sure people would love to see it, I would anyway as it might give me a few ideas for my own! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Id say a half sleeve phoenix is gonna take a tonne of cash, hope ya have some stored away :P

Absolutely, I'll post up pics as soon as I have it done.....And yeah I have some cash saved up....just hope it will be enough!!! :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

lovely colours!

• Advertisement

That looks great Firebird! You must be delighted! :) Where did you get it done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks great! :D

(I fixed your image links for ya too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

I have a Phoenix in a tribal style as part of a sleeve. Same reasons for getting it, personal triumph. I went to Anna in 9 lives and showed her 4 pictures and then said "now draw me your interpretation of those" She did and I love it. Its still healing, I'll post some pics when its clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I love it!

Thanks guys! :-)

I got it done by Darren in Colourworks :-D

Advertisement