Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Rig - Comments and Suggestions please ...

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Looking at the following build for a new gaming PC (*5770 Crossfire setup) from Overclockers.

**I already have a brand new Asus 5770 so looking at adding a HIS (no more Asus in stock) 5770 for Crossfire.

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 4.00GHz / Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard / Corsair 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle £649.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional - Retail (Full Version) £159.99

HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card + Colin McRae Dirt 2 Full Game £128.00

Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM £121.99

Coolermaster HAF 932 Case - Black Coolermaster HAF 932 Case - Black £112.99

Corsair TX 850W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-850TXUK) £106.98

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £66.99

Total : £1,361.30

Missing anything ? Any bad choices ? Any thoughts appreciated :)

For Audio I am looking at the Astro Audio system which would be about £200.

Cheers,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Is there a CPU cooler in that bundle? A 4.0Ghz i7 920 is going to need quite a high end one. I'd recommend the Prolimatech Megahalem.

I'm not sure the Velociraptor is worth it either, you can get 2 F3s for only a tennor more to put in RAID0, and use the other for backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If it's for gaming the i5 would be more appropriate. I won't bash the i7(since I have one myself). But Hyper Threading is useless for games, and the Tri-Channel doesn't offer much more performance than Dual Channel.

An i5 would save you some money while still being just as great!

If you're not willing to OC yourself you could get this Bundle . Currently it's on special offer, so it's actually cheaper than getting all the parts seperate.

Also, don't get a WD Raptor. They're just not worth the money anymore, either save up the extra £60 for an SSD(Intel one), or get some other drive for you OS, maybe a WD Black.

Also, do you really need the Professional version of Windows 7? All it really has is some extra software on it. You could get the OEM W7 Home Premium 64bit for £80.

Here's a build I put together for you. A good £360 less, for you to add to something different. Maybe put more RAM in if you like, but for games 4GB should be fine!(You could use this money to buy an Intel SSD, drop the WD black 500gb aswell to save an extra £60, and bam! You own).

Anyway hope this helps!

Note the PSU is the Modular 850HX.
    Untitled-23.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even down to under €500 and with the H50 that bundle is a bit on the pricey side...

Yeah, I prefer a good High end CPU fan cooler myself. But, I'm not sure if the OP is willing to overclock himself. And the OC'd bundles for the i5 are limited =/

I'd probably go with an i5 and UD3 with the "Alpenföhn Brocken" as my cooler with 4GB of DDR3 Corsair. Should save about 60-70 pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Also, do you really need the Professional version of Windows 7? All it really has is some extra software on it. You could get the OEM W7 Home Premium 64bit for £80.
    I was thinking the same, I thought Pro was for businesses and domain networks? Surely premium with media center would be much more appropriate for the home. I'm also surprised the business edition is so expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm not a confident overclocker but I'll have a rethink of what i was getting so :)

I'll get back to you :D

IrishGrimReaper : Are you saying I would install the OS on the 500G ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

brianon wrote: »
    IrishGrimReaper : Are you saying I would install the OS on the 500G ?

Perhaps just stick to one drive - the samsung F3 1tb, v v fast 7200rpm drive, excellent value for money.. also go check the review.. comes close-ish to ssd speeds sometimes

Otherwise get a 30 or 64 gig GOOD ssd as your OS drive and F3 as your main

Ok. How does this look. I'd prefer teh i7 over i5 btw...

4174097948_92476b61cb_o.jpg

Ok. How does this look. I'd prefer teh i7 over i5 btw...

4174097948_92476b61cb_o.jpg
    It looks fine, if you're set on the i7 well get it then. But for gaming the i5 will perform just as good. The way I see it is, if I can keep the same performance on the CPU while saving money to put to something else faster. Maybe an SSD or even a 5850, but you have a 5770 CF set-up so it doesn't matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I would suggest not getting one of there OC'ed bundles as there as numerous posts on there forum about problems with the OC not being stable so they end up having to make it stable themselves.

You will miss out on the fun of OC'ing too;)
    Tbh the i7's are very easy imo to OC and if you need any help or have any problems you can post up or pm me and i'd be happy to help.

Thanks again.
    I am going with 5770x2 (have one already) for better or for worse :)

Hows this look now ?

Any overkill ? PSU strong enough ? Any bottlenecks ?

4174385866_61b7858123_o.jpg

Thanks again.
    I am going with 5770x2 (have one already) for better or for worse :)

Hows this look now ?

Any overkill ? PSU strong enough ? Any bottlenecks ?
    ]

Looking good but i would change one or two things:D
    PSU is fine as the 5770's use very little juice.

The ram is way overpriced,this would do you fine.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-180-OC

I would get this mobo instead as its a slightly better OC'er
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-155-GI

To make life easier and have better cable management get one of these
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-022-AK

What about a CPU cooler?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-PL
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-056-AK <---Two of these.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-002-PL Cooler only come with a set for one fan.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK&groupid=701&catid=48&subcat= So you can run the two fans off the PWM header on mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Might be wrong but someone might be able to clear this up.

If he/she goes for the I5 and then crossfire. The two pci-e ports will be running at 8x. I know this will only result in a loss of 3 to 5% in FPS which is not much. An I7 will have both pci-e slots running at 16x.

Anyone can confirm if that is right or not?

Yes get triple channel.
    Oops,in the middle of pricing up an i5 rig and posted wrong link:o

BadCharlie wrote: »

If he/she goes for the I5 and then crossfire. The two pci-e ports will be running at 8x. I know this will only result in a loss of 3 to 5% in FPS which is not much. An I7 will have both pci-e slots running at 16x.

It depends on the actual mobo as to what rating the slots will run at.
    Correct me if i'm wrong though:P

game4it70 wrote: »
    Yes get triple channel.
    Oops,in the middle of pricing up an i5 rig and posted wrong link:o
    <3

The motherboard will list what they run at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm not a confident overclocker but I'll have a rethink of what i was getting so :)

I'll get back to you :D

An i7 920 DO + EX58-UD5 is easy mode for OCing imho as you only have to boost cpu volts a little for uber stable 3.8ghz OC and pretty low temps :) A full 4ghz OC is harder tho and the jump in temps from 3.8 to 4ghz is pretty crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

You could probably go down to a HX650.The 5770's use next to no power.Dom. GT's are overpriced.Look into a nice set of G.Skill Ripjaws,better performers.Or into the XMS3 range form Corsair,they are a fair bit cheaper than the Dominators.

I'd stick with the UD3,should do you fine (even for 4GHz)

I knw the Fenrir is great but does it come with fan (it appears to in the pic)

Have you got the space for a 932,they are HUGE.But awesome cases.

Only other thing I could think of is maybe a nice fan controller to keep everything quiet.I have the Scythe Kaze Master and it works great,costs €40 in Peats.

Nice build overall OP,have you seen the results of 5770 Crossfire vs GTX295 in COD MW2,I belive the 5770's beat the GTX295's on some tests and drew level on most others.Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

game4it70 wrote: »
    Looking good but i would change one or two things:D
    PSU is fine as the 5770's use very little juice.

The ram is way overpriced,this would do you fine.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-180-OC

I would get this mobo instead as its a slightly better OC'er
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-155-GI

To make life easier and have better cable management get one of these
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-022-AK

What about a CPU cooler?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-PL
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-056-AK <---Two of these.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-002-PL Cooler only come with a set for one fan.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK&groupid=701&catid=48&subcat= So you can run the two fans off the PWM header on mobo.

The Prolimatech Megahalem Rev B CPU Cooler you listed comes with clips for both fans.

Very true,but were talking 4-5%

Not noticable in the OP's case,he will be pushing more than enough FPS to worry about a laggy performance.

Sorry for the double post

Thanks again guys.
    Couple of things...

- Why go for PC3-12800 over PC3-16000 ?
    - The Fenrir does come with fan so in terms of cooling, I wouldn't need anything else right ?

- I have the space for a large case :)

As it stands... with teh Fenrir. There is nothing completly incompatable or anything is there ? As in, it'll work right now (regardless of whether certain choices are best bang for buck or whatever) ? I'm not forgetting anything am i ?

Thanks again guys.
    Couple of things...

- Why go for PC3-12800 over PC3-16000 ?
    - The Fenrir does come with fan so in terms of cooling, I wouldn't need anything else right ?

- I have the space for a large case :)

As it stands... with teh Fenrir. There is nothing completly incompatable or anything is there ? As in, it'll work right now (regardless of whether certain choices are best bang for buck or whatever) ? I'm not forgetting anything am i ?

PC3-16000 (2000 Mhz IIRC) is overpriced for the performance your getting.1333Mhz or 1600Mhz seems to be the best point for price/performance at the moment

Everything there will work fine,although you might need some thermal paste.Some coolers come with it and some dont.I'm not sure about the Fenrir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

I think the 1156 socket CPUs have the PCIE controller on the CPU chip with a max of 16x, so yeah crossfire will run at 8x, From what I have seen the difference is negligable even using 5870 in crossfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Tr1PoD wrote: »
    I think the 1156 socket CPUs have the PCIE controller on the CPU chip with a max of 16x, so yeah crossfire will run at 8x, From what I have seen the difference is negligable even using 5870 in crossfire.

Even if you use the PCIe Lanes to run USB3 and SATA6, the crossfire runs at 4x/4x and it's at most a 5% performance drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Its not to get any one worried about it. But its also good to keep it in mind when going crossfire/Sli on the I5.

Advertisement