Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Present

Options
  • 10-12-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

you will have to excuse my ignorance around Hobby radio.

I'm looking to get a scanner for my dad for xmas. He wants to listen to SW/English BBC and marine/Aviation freq. also. A model with mains adapter too. Thats probably impossible, I dont know.

We were looking to spend €100-180 on it. If yee could recommend some models, something that may get him started - maybe even build upon.

I would appreciate any feedback. I'm hoping your feedback will enable me to go back to him with the ultimatiums to help narrow his view down to whats realistic.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you might get some information on this site.

http://www.frequencydb.com/forum/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The best place that I could suggent is cq comms. This is the place were I bought my first bearcat scanner. Have a look around their webpage. You can always give them a shout in the shop and they'll be more than happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

Dont go near CQ Comms the are the most expensive shop in the world for anything radio related. I'm very susprised at a mod recommending them.

To get good recpition of all the types of comms you mention in one box for 100euro is a dream its never going to happen.

There is a crowd in waterford who know there stuff and are good value give them a call and the might be able to help you

there web site is www.sec.ie the contact info is on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=171057&cat=all

id recommend the above good all round receiver covers hf aswell has vhf/uhf of course only as good as the antenna its connected to

• Advertisement
Advertisement