Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee-How much is too much

Options
  • 10-12-2009 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just wondering what is the most cups of coffee you have had in a night while trying to cram for an exam? Currently trying to cram for an exam in the morning, I have had two cups since 9 and am contemplating a third. I might just get up at 5 in the morning instead! Is there any other food/drinks that help you to stay awake and take in more information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I wouldnt rely on coffee if I was tired tbh.

Red Bull/some other stimulant drink, you've had too much when you get the shakes really, or chest pains, either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Get some sleep and wake up earlier, tbh. If you drink more coffee now you'll never sleep and it'll be harder to wake up for the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Fad wrote: »
    I wouldnt rely on coffee if I was tired tbh.

Red Bull/some other stimulant drink, you've had too much when you get the shakes really, or chest pains, either really.
    A cup of Coffee has much more caffeine than the stimulant drinks.

I'd try to keep it below four a day, if you drink too much you'll get pains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I remember in my summer exams, i was shotgunning powerking to stay awake...

Man that was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Bonjourno,

I've been awake since 9am the day before yesterday....

had an exam at 11 yesterday....

Boost energy drinks rock... however i can't sleep at all now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭quotaj

Don't drink it!!

As someone who has done a lot of all-nighters... I now just drink water. Coffee will give you a good rush but the come-down makes you much much more tired. I will only work if you take it in the half-hour before your exam (coffee+chocolate!)..... then the come-down will be after the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭furiousox

I drink 2 mugs of standard (lavazza) ground coffee plus 3 or 4 espressos per day, that's why l'm still awake at 3.30am!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

furiousox wrote: »
    I drink 2 mugs of standard (lavazza) ground coffee plus 3 or 4 espressos per day, that's why l'm still awake at 3.30am!

Being pregnant makes my wife snore like satan is trying to escape from her face, thats why i'm awake at 5am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

5:45am Coz I'm just that hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

TDOie wrote: »
    5:45am Coz I'm just that hardcore.
    5.51 am cos i'm ...........more hardcore:confused:

water is great , drink it and have a wash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

quotaj wrote: »
    Don't drink it!!

As someone who has done a lot of all-nighters... I now just drink water. Coffee will give you a good rush but the come-down makes you much much more tired. I will only work if you take it in the half-hour before your exam (coffee+chocolate!)..... then the come-down will be after the exam.

Or just keep drinking it so there is no come down before the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hehe,lets do some revision shall we :pac:

caffeine can keep indeed you awake,but help you concentrate?only in a short period of time.and then your [insert neurotransmistter X/Y/Z] will be depleted very quick and your memory and learning performance will be declined dramatically.well,it varies from person to person tho lol

generally and practically speaking,coffee+overnight cramming can only be done in a short period of time,max 2/3 days i'd say(from my personal experience).altho i must say sometimes we just dont have a choice :(

so keep in mind that keep drinking a lot of coffee wont help you much - it will only get you worse actually if you drink alot in a short period of time.drink it whenever you feel tired and keep telling yourself you have limited time to study so you have to concentrate max.yeah,like Ultraman's 3 minutes lol

a good night sleep+water+small portion of food on 3 meals a day is all you need for exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

seraphimvc wrote: »
    a good night sleep+water+small portion of food on 3 meals a day is all you need for exams :)
    Would add doing a bit of exercise to that, go for a walk/run/cycle/whatever for half an hour and it will make you feel a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I'd drink about 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day...I've never heard of chest pains, though i often get a lot of headaches and vivid dreams, the ones where you kind of get a shock and suddenly wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Coffee-Posters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

All work and no drink other than SU Shop coffee makes me something something.

After a ten hour stint of work fueled by the stuff I find it hard to look at it now. A cappuccino for E1.15? It was too good to be true (well, after several, at least).

I should probably be studying right now. But you know how it is - as long as you're typing it feels like you're getting something done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Find a narcoleptic friend and try Provigil. That'll do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

All work and no drink other than SU Shop coffee makes me something something.

After a ten hour stint of work fueled by the stuff I find it hard to look at it now. A cappuccino for E1.15? It was too good to be true (well, after several, at least).

I should probably be studying right now. But you know how it is - as long as you're typing it feels like you're getting something done...

E1.20 these days.......damn coffee price inflation!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I get the shakes very quickly with Lucozade...don't suppose I should start drinking coffee so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Yup I've slept about 7 hours over the last 3 days. I feel fcuked. But I do love coffee. And in fairness to UCD €1.20 for a yummy cup of coffee is freakin' cool! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

There are these liter bottles off "boost" it's like redbull or burn but it is cheaper (around €1.50). One cup is like 5 cups of coffee when it comes to the caffine content.

Advertisement