Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

running internet connection unsecured

• 10-12-2009 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

A friend is running their internet connection unsecured.I know someone could piggyback and browse using their connection. Is there any other issue, could someone 'see' their hard drive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

KC JONES wrote: »
    A friend is running their internet connection unsecured.I know someone could piggyback and browse using their connection. Is there any other issue, could someone 'see' their hard drive

If this is a wireless router you're talking about then, potentially yes - you're connected to anything else on that network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

KC JONES wrote: »
    Potentially yes. Especially if they dont keep a password on their windows login. It would be possible to see and even write files onto the drive if they already have sharing setup between their existing PCs.

They really ought to secure it. Piggybacking on a connection is illegal in ireland come to think of it. A WPA2 Passkey and Mac Filtering are easier than they sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dwayman

This only internet rumour, but I'm pretty sure the owner of a line can be held responsible for what was downloaded. If someone was using it for filesharing or something illegal it could get messy. Much easier to protect it with a password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

dwayman wrote: »
    This only internet rumour, but I'm pretty sure the owner of a line can be held responsible for what was downloaded. If someone was using it for filesharing or something illegal it could get messy. Much easier to protect it with a password.

No you are right a person is legally responsible for anything 'bogey' done through their personal ip adress(as unique as your home adress)

OP you should persuede him to at least disable remote connection on his computer settings.(it is normally used for tech guys to acess and take control of a computer from long distance to diagnose and correct faults,but can be abused easily.)He really is crazy not to generate a wep or wpa key,his isp support should guide him through that)

Unless of course he is piggybacking on someone elses unsecured network;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dwayman wrote: »
    Thats correct. Especially with filesharing where there are no logins or other ways to verify who it might have been. Subnet IPs arent reliable testimony.

And as alluded to above, there may even be some people who will only use another persons network to fileshare in order to avoid prosecution. Thats another good reason to keep the network secured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement