Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

glanza v turbo

Options
  • 10-12-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey people,

Ive been trying to sell my 1996 bmw 316i for about a month now and the other day some guy offer me €500 and his car (1997 toyota glanza v turbo, with a hks chipped ecu) for my car (1996 bmw 316i)
    Me and my dad went to and viewd it last night and he reckons the head gasket is going. I dont know what to do any in puts would be great!

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

how does he think the head gaskets going?Does he auctually know about cars or is he just guessing.One sure signs of head trouble is take off oil cap you will have gunk under it.Glanza engines pritty much bullet proof but then again Irish drivers in glanza = not so bullet proof :D I have one with over a year some little car never gave a bit of bother.One thing to note is standard clutches are weak enough so if your clutch goes try get an uprated one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 moorez10

no my dad know a lot about cars, he used to service rally cars and does all the work on friends cars. He reckons it going cause when u look at the right side of the engine it looks aload of water has blown out from somewhere, thats what he said to me, i dunno to be honest! Also the guy told me that he went on a drive to waterford got there fine and when he pulled into his drive in dublin the temp needle started to rise, he brought it to a mechanic and it hasnt happened since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

keep away from penile cars tbh and keep your BMW.
    Even a 316 is a lot more of a car that that toyota.

for 500notes hardly worth it

cheers for reply, but i wasnt planning on keepin it, i was goin to sell it in the new year, i have an e34 520i msport im doin up jus need cash, and i thought id be able to sell the glanza quicker!

Car Mad wrote: »
    how does he think the head gaskets going?Does he auctually know about cars or is he just guessing.One sure signs of head trouble is take off oil cap you will have gunk under it.Glanza engines pritty much bullet proof but then again Irish drivers in glanza = not so bullet proof :D I have one with over a year some little car never gave a bit of bother.One thing to note is standard clutches are weak enough so if your clutch goes try get an uprated one.

say the head gasket was going or gone, is it a big job to fix?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You're talking out of your arse.
    A glanzaV is an infinitely better car than a 316.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

SV wrote: »
    You're talking out of your arse.
    A glanzaV is an infinitely better car than a 316.

Mind if I ask why? I have no particular interest in either jammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Shires wrote: »
    Mind if I ask why? I have no particular interest in either jammer.

The 316 is terribly underpowered for what it is, the Glanza (as much as I dont like them) would be quicker and probably handle better.

The only thing going for the 316 would be the RWD:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

the toyota makes 134.1 bhp in standard con, the beemer 130ish ?

quick turbo change, good cold air feed, better plugs + usual cheap tricks you can get anywhere upto 170 ( though thats the absolute limit afaik ) then just throw the lsd in with good tyres and you'll pull away from anything....

glanza's have terrible handling, much like civics and other fwd jap's, but if you take your time to learn how to drive them it isnt Too bad.

SV: i agree, he/she/it is.

sleepysniper: all beemers after e30 went downhill faster then biffo would. as for rwd... you'd just about have enough poke from the yoke to spin the tyres.

your best bet would be if you dont need the 4 doors a corrolla hatchback or simular op and have yer daddy throw a nice 1.6 blacktop into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Pdfile wrote: »
    the toyota makes 134.1 bhp in standard con, the beemer 130ish ?

quick turbo change, good cold air feed, better plugs + usual cheap tricks you can get anywhere upto 170 ( though thats the absolute limit afaik ) then just throw the lsd in with good tyres and you'll pull away from anything....

glanza's have terrible handling, much like civics and other fwd jap's, but if you take your time to learn how to drive them it isnt Too bad.

SV: i agree, he/she/it is.

sleepysniper: all beemers after e30 went downhill faster then biffo would. as for rwd... you'd just about have enough poke from the yoke to spin the tyres.

your best bet would be if you dont need the 4 doors a corrolla hatchback or simular op and have yer daddy throw a nice 1.6 blacktop into it.
    The BMW 316 wouldn't be anywhere even close to 130bhp I reckon. Probably around 100. And Civics handle quite well, but Glanza's don't. The E36 3-series is a very good handling car, but the 1.6 would be miserable in it. OP, I don't think you'd get rid of a Glanza turbo much quicker than a 316.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Glanza's are no good to handle but civics are pretty good!!
    I'd have the bmw for comfort anyday over a bloody glanza!!
    Probably has the ring drove out of it anyway!!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Glanza's are no good to handle but civics are pretty good!!
    I'd have the bmw for comfort anyday over a bloody glanza!!
    Probably has the ring drove out of it anyway!!

ive a civic, always had them among others and theyre quite frankly, ****e.

glanza is a good car, cheap as chips from jap land these days.

ive a e36 318, dispite the 400k on the clock, it runs fine, diff welded and it just about slides.

honestly, small engines and bmw's are a bad mix.

glanza is a grand little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Glanzas are generally driven by little scrotes, some aren't but the stereotype kills any apeal they might have. That and they don't go around corners particularly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Biro wrote: »
    BMW Probably around 100.
    99-101bhp depending on year, out of an 8v somewhat antiquated engine.

Whatever about handling the Glanza's strength is its easy upgrades and straight line speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

terrible handling, much like civics and other fwd jap's, but if you take your time to learn how to drive them it isnt Too bad.

I laughed

glanza is a good car, cheap as chips from jap land these days.

ive a e36 318, dispite the 400k on the clock, it runs fine, diff welded and it just about slides.

honestly, small engines and bmw's are a bad mix.

glanza is a grand little car.

It handles like a starlet because it is one, so therefore it doesn't handle at all! I dont own a civic, I'm backing them up because they do handle superbly! Look in the Irish time attack series for example, how many glanzas do you count? Civics are in all forms of motorsport, and for good reason!

YbFocus wrote: »
    It handles like a starlet because it is one, so therefore it doesn't handle at all! I dont own a civic, I'm backing them up because they do handle superbly! Look in the Irish time attack series for example, how many glanzas do you count? Civics are in all forms of motorsport, and for good reason!

because their cheap, hard to break ( yes, even the worst driver will struggle to break it ) and Cheap. Glanza despite being a starlet has Alot of protential, anyone available with the cop-on to do it ??

no - typical irish non-sense, Nowonder the japs hate ye :rolleyes:

Draffodx, deffo an st202/teg/saxo driver

because their cheap, hard to break ( yes, even the worst driver will struggle to break it ) and Cheap. Glanza despite being a starlet has Alot of protential, anyone available with the cop-on to do it ??

You don't have a clue what you're talking about tbh.
    I also laugh at your comment about FWD cars.

It's quite simple then. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Well, I know the rough technical specs of both and the stereotypes associated with both, fair or unfair. I just was hoping SV would follow up since his reply was a bit short on meat, just something about his arse if I recall correctly. Sorry for wasting your time.

• Advertisement

Shires wrote: »
    Well, I know the rough technical specs of both and the stereotypes associated with both, fair or unfair. I just was hoping SV would follow up since his reply was a bit short on meat, just something about his arse if I recall correctly. Sorry for wasting your time.
    Really?
    You need a load of details on why a GlanzaV is better than a 316?

While I agree with you that there's lots of potential in the Glanza power wise, but your comment on Jap FWD's is clearly misguided somehow.

The DC2 is well known is to anyone with even a tiny interest in cars as one of the best handling cars ever made, in its time it was widely accredited by critics from all over the globe with many different backgrounds.

The DC5 has gained similar status in Japan and is only not globally recognised because it is not available outside Japan.

The Civic never quite reached the heights of the Integra but is still an excellent car when it comes to handling.

So therefore your comment about Civics/Jap FWD cars handling badly is simply just your opinion, you have nothing but your own experience to back it up with and there is a lot more evidence and opinion that points against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Glanza's can definately be quick, I was very surprised.

My friend was giving me a lift in his Astra VXR, and a lad in a glanza was acting the maggot behind him while driving trough a town, once out on the open road, my friend floored it up past the limit, past social acceptable speeding, past lose you license speeding, and into "I hope I dont die" speeds, we were both concentrating on the road ahead (I was bricking it a bit to honest!), anyway he glances in his mirror at around 140mph and the glanza is almost in his boot!! We couldnt believe it!

As the road came to a few turns, speed dropped dramatically but the glanza looked all over the place in the corners and was far behind. We spoke to the boy at the next petrol station and he said the car was modded as well as could be done, and that even with his uprated suspension and coilovers, it was a b astard to control in the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You've been driving less than a year, are still on a provisional, yet you have a Civic (and always had them - wonder how many), and a 318 with 400k on the clock.

I suggest all of Motors bows down to the superior knowledge of the Pdfile :rolleyes:

Anyone else joining me in calling
    Shenanigans ?

R.O.R wrote: »
    You've been driving less than a year, are still on a provisional, yet you have a Civic (and always had them - wonder how many), and a 318 with 400k on the clock.

I suggest all of Motors bows down to the superior knowledge of the Pdfile :rolleyes:

Shenanigans ?

And English isn't his first language? And the Japanese folk hate us Irish? He's a legend really. And great choice in username and sig, real classy! :pac:

My friend was giving me a lift in his Astra VXR, and a lad in a glanza was acting the maggot behind him while driving trough a town, once out on the open road, my friend floored it up past the limit, past social acceptable speeding, past lose you license speeding, and into "I hope I dont die" speeds, we were both concentrating on the road ahead (I was bricking it a bit to honest!), anyway he glances in his mirror at around 140mph and the glanza is almost in his boot!! We couldnt believe it!

As the road came to a few turns, speed dropped dramatically but the glanza looked all over the place in the corners and was far behind. We spoke to the boy at the next petrol station and he said the car was modded as well as could be done, and that even with his uprated suspension and coilovers, it was a b astard to control in the corners.
    Standard Glanza's aren't that quick though. You can tune most cars! Throw a few bob at the VXR and the Glanza wouldn't be long near the boot of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

R.O.R wrote: »

Shenanigans ?
    And English isn't his first language? And the Japanese folk hate us Irish? He's a legend really. And great choice in username and sig, real classy! :pac:
    SV wrote: »
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about tbh.
    I also laugh at your comment about FWD cars.

At least someone else has noticed

Yes I'm calling that too!!!!

They are in motorsport because of there cheapness yes, but because of the right mods, a k20 especially livens things up, they can be fast and handle far beyond any glanza ever could, sorry now but thats the truth.

They can be wicked quick in a straight line, I know some of them have upwards of 280bhp in them, but give them a corner and thats it the power is completely wasted in them no matter what handling upgrades are thrown into them, and on the drag strip too, a rolling start for them is grand but a standing start and there all over the place too even with an LSD.

Any proper Glanza owner admits them points freely as its just part of owning the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Standard Glanza's aren't that quick though. You can tune most cars! Throw a few bob at the VXR and the Glanza wouldn't be long near the boot of it!

True! was just very unexpected at the time!

Advertisement