Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

death for prsi treatment benefits in budget 2010

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Portogirl

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not I can still claim back on treatments I had this year. I got invisaling braces back in March and paid €4k for them on my first visit. I will finish with the braces next year. Can I claim back any cash as I paid in full back in March 09. I have recently been made redundant and really need the cash so was hoping if I got the form in before Jan I might get some money back?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've never had this since i became self employed, i started a full time job 2 years ago and i'm still not entitled to it (5 years apparantley) anyway 3 fillings clean and 2 x rays were 250 (cant complain havent been for 4 years !)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

cson wrote: »
    Basically; you're out of pocket after it? Am I right?
    great...another idiotic reply to a point well made...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bradyjam

i may be being a little dumb but i thank you for the info regardless of your supposed motivation, anyone one know where i can check out whats now available on prsi, i have been using my partners prsi for my checkups and fillings etc any idea if this will still be available to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Optical

This is really going to impact on us opticians now :(. I know most of us are just scraping along at the moment, barely able to pay staff wages. This will be the final nail in the coffin for many opticians..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This is a big thing if someone needs serious dental work done. I had 2 wisdom teeth removed under general unaesthetic in 2002 and it cost less than €500, no way it would have cost that little if not for prsi.

around the same time I had a root canal done which took 2 one hour sessions with my dentist to get done and it cost €150 and he really had to work hard to clear that tooth of everything.... I imagine the charge would have been a hell of a lot more if not for prsi then.

So this is going to impact big time and its going to hit the lowest paid much harder, a lot of people are going to be in pain while they save up for a root canal or whatever and some will opt to have a cheaper extraction done rather than try and save a viable tooth. One of the very few benefits that prsi ever had is gone, prsi is just another tax without any tangible benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 musec5

bradyjam wrote: »
    i may be being a little dumb but i thank you for the info regardless of your supposed motivation, anyone one know where i can check out whats now available on prsi, i have been using my partners prsi for my checkups and fillings etc any idea if this will still be available to me?

from a dental point of view, you can have an annual examination paid for by PRSI, nothing else.

in relation for my motivation for my OP, its very simple, you are the guys paying the PRSI, it was your benefit and now it has been hugely cut, but the government didn't tell you. i just thought you should know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

musec5 wrote: »
    from a dental point of view, you can have an annual examination paid for by PRSI, nothing else.

in relation for my motivation for my OP, its very simple, you are the guys paying the PRSI, it was your benefit and now it has been hugely cut, but the government didn't tell you. i just thought you should know

I went to my dentist a few weeks ago. Had examinatin and I am going back to have some work done. Dentist gave me the PRSI form to fill out and send away.

I did that, and today I got confirmation from the dept that my application has been approved. It said I should begin treatment within 3 months.
    It lists a total of 17 different treatments which qualify for subsidy.

So my question is what's all this stuff about PRSI being of no benefit to me next year for dental work.

R1

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Kind of in the same topic:

Can I claim tax relief on orthodontics I had done or has that been abolished too?
    Finished and paid for (€5000) in September and just assumed I claim back on it in the new year. Does anyone know if this is still the case? If not then there goes a grand I was looking forward too to pay off Xmas bills.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is their any evidence that dentists weren't just putting their prices up by the cost of the PRSI contribution.

Dentists in this country are massively expensive TBH. They need to reduce their prices as people don't go to dentists because its prohibitly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Agreed.

As an aside, the dentists have a forum here (it's called dental issues, but seems more a platform for practising dentists to promote their own agenda than it is to offer advice), and in my own outside opinion, the bias there against dental tourism, and the blanket ban on discussing prices is interesting, shall we say...
    Back to the topic at hand, these cuts are to my mind, the worst part of the budget, applying as they do to many ordinary working people, who can ill afford to pay these guys inflated fees, unlike those who get a medical card for whatever reason.

One would wonder what the point of prsi is any more. This mooted universal payment is simply another way of ringfencing the existing levies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I've paid PRSI for 6 years, but because I've never worked full time I haven't contributed enough to benefit from this anyway.

It works out better in any case as I had a crown done last year that cost €800, which reduced taxable income by €800.

You can still reclaim it at the 20% tax rate. This hits the dental industry more than patients IMO.

In any case, PRSI is to be axed in Budget 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Big_G wrote: »
    With respect, you are not qualified to judge the quality of dentistry provided abroad. All you can say is that you were happy with the service.

Fair comment.
    I am qualified to judge as a consumer tho, and I was unhappy with the cost of the services in Ireland.
    Judging by my teeth - I would be inclined to say that the horror stories being spun in the media were borderline propaganda.
    And when dentists are extinct, who provides dental services? That is a ridiculous statment.

Competitive Irish dentists? Foreign dentists?
    They nearly all speak good English now and you can double up and work it into your holidays. Ryanair flights are a pittance if you time it right.

I haven't been to an Irish dentist in years now. They might be illegal for all I know.
    I would encourage people to disregard what they've read/heard in the media and go check if for themselves.

In fairness, if the cost of providing dentistry was the same as it is in Eastern Europe, in terms of labour, materials, insurance, equipment, rent, taxes etc, etc, etc, dentists here would be able to compete with Eastern European prices. Again, shortsighted comment.

Shortsighted in what way?
    labour, materials, insurance, equipment, rent, taxes - what business doesn't have to deal with these?

Irish dentists don't need to match EE prices.
    They simply need to make it sufficiently attractive not to go abroad.

Like I said, Dentists in this country will have to respond to market conditions and offer better value for money or face extinction, the same as every other profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Big_G wrote: »
    With respect, you are not qualified to judge the quality of dentistry provided abroad. All you can say is that you were happy with the service.

And when dentists are extinct, who provides dental services? That is a ridiculous statment.

In fairness, if the cost of providing dentistry was the same as it is in Eastern Europe, in terms of labour, materials, insurance, equipment, rent, taxes etc, etc, etc, dentists here would be able to compete with Eastern European prices. Again, shortsighted comment.

As far as the hacking of the DTSS is concerned, the bottom line is that people won't be able to get treatment. Secondary to that is that dental practices will close, with the loss of jobs and money back into the economy. I just don't think it is fair to people who pay PRSI or to dentists to cut this scheme. It is a prelude to this universal social contribution scheme coming next year.

Never mind Eastern European prices, what about competing with Dentists a couple of hours up the road.

We heard the same argument from the Pharmacists. Shops would close all over they said. I didnt believe them and I dont believe Dentists. Drop your prices and compete or else go out of business the same as any other industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

So what the hell is psri then?..just another tax?.. with little obvious benefits

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

4Sheets wrote: »
    So what the hell is psri then?..just another tax?.. with little obvious benefits

It is also used to fund Job Seekers Benefit, the contributory Old Age Pension and various other social welfare allowances afaik

Advertisement