Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help.. Screen resolution keeps revering

• 10-12-2009 6:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

HI

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, I have a 19" Dell monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024.

I want to keep the resolution 1280x1024
    When I set this in Windows everytime I restart or I come out of hibernate It sets itself to resolution 1024x768.

I tried to set from NVIDIA control panel and windows control panel but same thing happens.

Its driving me cuckoo.

Anyone know a fix for this??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

iggy wrote: »
    HI

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, I have a 19" Dell monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024.

I want to keep the resolution 1280x1024
    When I set this in Windows everytime I restart or I come out of hibernate It sets itself to resolution 1024x768.

I tried to set from NVIDIA control panel and windows control panel but same thing happens.

Its driving me cuckoo.

Anyone know a fix for this??

Thanks

Connecting to an evternal monitor or TV can sometimes cause this.
    Here is the fix on windows vista(W7 may use slightly diffrient language but the basics are the same.

Control Panel > ease of acess > optomise visual display..............

If you are given a choice of monitors from the drop down menu choose the generic monitor.

You should below that see a slider to change resoulution,
    With the pad and left click move to the required resolution.
    then and MOST importantly click the APPLY button at the end of page or resolution will change again on you.
    Let us know if this works for you?
    Cheers.

Found some more ideas: have you set windows update to check for windows AND other updates? there may be a new driver under optional updates for your card.

Also here is a link to how to 'fix it' SPECIFIC to windows 7.The poster at the end seems to have found a solution which he explains well and with screenshots. http://www.petri.co.il/quickly-change-screen-resolution-in-windows-7.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

ynotdu wrote: »
    Connecting to an evternal monitor or TV can sometimes cause this.
    Here is the fix on windows vista(W7 may use slightly diffrient language but the basics are the same.

Control Panel > ease of acess > optomise visual display..............

If you are given a choice of monitors from the drop down menu choose the generic monitor.

You should below that see a slider to change resoulution,
    With the pad and left click move to the required resolution.
    then and MOST importantly click the APPLY button at the end of page or resolution will change again on you.
    Let us know if this works for you?
    Cheers.

Found some more ideas: have you set windows update to check for windows AND other updates? there may be a new driver under optional updates for your card.

Also here is a link to how to 'fix it' SPECIFIC to windows 7.The poster at the end seems to have found a solution which he explains well and with screenshots. http://www.petri.co.il/quickly-change-screen-resolution-in-windows-7.htm

Hi

Thanks for reply but I have tried both these options and the resolution still reverts back even after accepting ' keep changes' option.

I have no new windows updates to install.

Any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

iggy wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for reply but I have tried both these options and the resolution still reverts back even after accepting ' keep changes' option.

I have no new windows updates to install.

Any other ideas?

Hi iggy,have you tried googling Dell support?{for some reason i get a better result if i dont add the .ie}
    once on the site from the default USA using the dropdown menu change it to Ireland.

There are loads of things you can do there,eg: by entering your service tag you can view your origional hardware and software configuration,check warranty status and do a scan of your computers current configuration,also you can read or download a comprehensive manual about your computer.

there is also under the heading drivers and downloads options for drivers and utilitys specific to your system.

a good rule of thumb is not to download drivers that are dated a year younger than when you bought your computer{even if you do, during installation usually(but not always)you will be told that a newer version of the driver is already on your system and you can cancel the download.

If i were You i would check for monitor drivers and video drivers for newer versions{in my case though windows update finds 'optional'updates for Nvideo if i scan by custom rather than express}

a survey published today shows one third of windows 7 users have had 'bugs' of some sort,which surprises me because when i had W7 RC1 installed i had no problems at all!!!!
    Microsoft had worked with 10.000 device manufacturers to try make sure there were not too many driver issues on W7,s full release.

next i would google keywords like screen resolution W7 and include the moniters name if the Dell scan mentions the name of your moniter{if it does not then Generic is still the right choice in settings}You will get loads of results but time consuming to find a solution:eek:}

It might be that you have a 'bug' that there is no fix to yet,if that is the case you wont be the only one and Dell&Microsoft will be aware of it and will deliver the fix ASAP!

good luck with it:)

Oh and let us know when and how you resolve this?

Advertisement